PDA

View Full Version : MSR Trail Base water filter kit

Squirrel!
02-14-2018, 06:45
I received an email from MSR yesterday showcasing their new 2018 products. The Trail Base water filter kit caught my eye as an option for multi-use when backpacking. There are no reviews yet that I can find for this product. Does anyone know if MSR sent it to someone to test out? The parts are basically a trail shot that you can jimmy into a gravity feed, so Iím assuming it will review at a similar level as the trail shot. My question is aimed more at the usability of the system as a whole.
TYIA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
02-14-2018, 14:17
$140 MSRP?
#3!! no. Not when I can effectively put together the same system.
Sawyer Mini: $20 (WalMart)
EverNew 2L Water Carry: $12
Platypus Hoser: $25
Misc stuff to make it easier to deal with (optional, like surgical tubing, quick connects, shutoff valve): $0-$20
-----------
$55 - $75

Venchka
02-14-2018, 14:54
$140 MSRP?
#3!! no. Not when I can effectively put together the same system.
Sawyer Mini: $20 (WalMart)
EverNew 2L Water Carry: $12
Platypus Hoser: $25
Misc stuff to make it easier to deal with (optional, like surgical tubing, quick connects, shutoff valve): $0-$20
-----------
$55 - $75
I already owned a 2 liter Hoser last year when the BeFree filter was launched. I bought the BeFree filter and 2 liter Hydrapak soft canteen with a combination of REI dividend and spring 20% coupon for less than $40.
3.75 ounces total for the filter and 2 liter water storage as needed. 1 liter per minute transfer speed. No clogging after filtering several gallons of water last year.
Wayne

Squirrel!
02-15-2018, 09:29
I already own the MSR gravity filter so maybe I can find the parts to create a similar system :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk