PDA

View Full Version : Harrisburg, PA to Pen Mar State Park

tawa
02-14-2018, 23:00
Have my Greyhound ticket from Evansville, IN to Harrisburg, PA.
Will be riding the dog for 20 hrs and getting into Harrisburg about 10 AM on March 29th.
Guess I have two options--- getting shuttled to Pen Mar and heading north or
Option 2--find a hostel or cheap place to stay in Harrisburg or Pen Mar and rest up before heading out early the next morning.
Are there shuttle services in that area ? Are there any hostels or places to stay either in Harrisburg or near Pen Mar.

As far as the trail--what can I expect for late March? Would you take a 20 degree or Zero bag. Would you carry Katoolha ice spikes with you or leave them at home.
Doubt there will be many hikers out there this early.
If anyone is interested in hiking with me --give me a shout!

Mike Davis
02-14-2018, 23:21
How for north will you travel? Daily mileage? As for the bag, if tenting maybe the 20 with a puffy jacket, stocking hat, long johns and socks. If sheltering, it can be colder feeling. Take some hand warmers to throw in the bag, or use a water bottle with hot water. Carrying micro spikes isn't a bad idea and can be easily mailed home. I'm 75 and want to head out for 6 weeks. Was thinking Harpers to CT. I live in MA. [email protected]

tawa
02-15-2018, 00:34
[QUOTE=Mike Davis;2194162]How for north will you travel? Daily mileage? As for the bag, if tenting maybe the 20 with a puffy jacket, stocking hat, long johns and socks. If sheltering, it can be colder feeling. Take some hand warmers to throw in the bag, or use a water bottle with hot water. Carrying micro spikes isn't a bad idea and can be easily mailed home. I'm 75 and want to head out for 6 weeks. Was thinking Harpers to CT. I live in MA. [email protected][/QUOT

Plan on taking it a state at a time but will keep going if everything is clicking I will keep pushing north . Have already hiked through HF and Maryland . Probably start out around 10 miles a day for a few days then bump up to 12 and maybe 15 after awhile. But I'm flexible. Kind of like to hike at my own pace with some time with others and other times alone but like to meet up at shelter or camp sites at the end of the day.
The trail north out of Pen Mar looks to have little elevation change through at least the first third of PA so should be fairly easy to get readjusted to the trail.
I have hiked from Springer to Damascus and all of Shenandoah up to Pen Mar. Hope to go pretty far north on this trip, Then will complete the rest of Virginia this fall.
Your thoughts?

Slo-go'en
02-15-2018, 01:52
End of March in PA? Could still be winter. Will probably be flipping back and forth. Expect cold rain - maybe a lot of it. Snow is unlikely, hasn't been that kind of year. Seems to like to warm up and rain, then get cold on the back side.

There's a Days Inn in Waynesboro, PA and is the closest accommodations to PenMar (2.1 miles) No idea how you get there from Harrisburg.