PDA

View Full Version : Gear Shakedown Please!

Nathan428
02-14-2018, 23:40
Hey everyone,

Planning a March 9th start, and I'd love for any feedback on my gear selections: https://lighterpack.com/r/8anqwa

Especially open to any suggestions for easily forgotten/random small items; things like leukotape or a diy water-bottle-cut-off water scoop.

Thanks!

Puddlefish
02-15-2018, 09:41
Hey everyone,

Planning a March 9th start, and I'd love for any feedback on my gear selections: https://lighterpack.com/r/8anqwa

Especially open to any suggestions for easily forgotten/random small items; things like leukotape or a diy water-bottle-cut-off water scoop.

Thanks!

Looks fairly complete to me. I use the bottom of a plastic milk gallon for a combination water scoop/back country sink. Rather than take a full roll of leukotape, which is heavy, I tape misc. length strips to my waterproof journal. I didn't see a knife/multi tool, possibly I missed it. I use a Leatherman CS and love it.

moldy
02-15-2018, 09:57
This is well thought out and the total weight is very good. You will find in the first few weeks that you have some stuff that you are carrying but never using. You have some items I would never use. But that's me. You will find yourself optimizing your load. This is normal. When I started out I guessed at what I needed. After a hundred miles I quit guessing. My 1 lbs med kit turned into 2 band-aids. By the end of my first thru hike I tuned my load to minimum items needed to stay warm and dry with the maximum daily miles. The focus went from camping to walking. If I needed some odd item I could go to town and get it. Also, we pack as a self reliant individual but we hike as a team. The team will provide material support to all members of the team. Run out of fuel, battery died, water filter broke, bic failed, broke my foot.....team provided. Your thru-hike team is the weightless asset that can carry you.

Dogwood
02-15-2018, 12:52
Do you need a separate head covering - a balaclava - if you're already rollin' with a Buff, hat, and hood(on the Pat Torrent)?

7 oz book jumps out. How about using audio books or downloading to a device?

What Topos are you rockin? I ask because sock choices, rain/snow/wind wear(you're doing Frogg Toggs pants), and gaiter choices can be affected. For the start, about the first 45 days, you could carry a WP sock in addition to other pr(s) or be ready to bagtex. Bagtex doesn't offer much warmth in themselves but its cheap(free) and UL. A WP sandal type sock can and double as a light wt camp shoe basically making a low cut WP shoe out of a non WP one. DG gaiters(made of Lycra for their stretchiness and very good breathability especially good in hot weather) will keep debris out of low cuts but effectively not ice, water, or snow. With you Mar 9 date you're going to experience ice, snow, and freezing rain with associated lower temps, not so much hot weather. If you like gaiters how about something like DG's but more WP/WR for the beginning switching to DG's later when it gets hotter.

Don't need a separate water scoop when you have a Ti cookpot, 2L Platy, Smartwater bottles, a sheet of WP fabric like rain gear, etc.

How much do you need a separate sunscreen product for the first 30 days on an AT NOBO?

Dogwood
02-15-2018, 12:57
I'd consider switching the SW 1/4 zip LS to hiking and the Columbia LS to sleeping. You don't offer Columbia LS shirt details but the SW LS 1/4 zip has excellent Mar 9 NOBO layering and thermoregulating qualities

AllDownhillFromHere
02-15-2018, 14:11
This is well thought out and the total weight is very good. You will find in the first few weeks that you have some stuff that you are carrying but never using. You have some items I would never use. But that's me. You will find yourself optimizing your load. This is normal. When I started out I guessed at what I needed. After a hundred miles I quit guessing. My 1 lbs med kit turned into 2 band-aids. By the end of my first thru hike I tuned my load to minimum items needed to stay warm and dry with the maximum daily miles. The focus went from camping to walking. If I needed some odd item I could go to town and get it. Also, we pack as a self reliant individual but we hike as a team. The team will provide material support to all members of the team. Run out of fuel, battery died, water filter broke, bic failed, broke my foot.....team provided. Your thru-hike team is the weightless asset that can carry you.

are you sure you aren't millenial? You should try a thru nowadays, with that 'trail provides' attitude you'll fit right in.

DrL
02-15-2018, 14:23
Food for thought...

journal/pen - I love writing with pen and paper, but for backing packing trips I use my phone. Works well in a tent, at night, on your back.
aquatabs - backup for your squeeze? Probably not needed.
water bottles - 2 x 1 liter with the 2 liter platy should be more than enough. Why go smaller?

Nathan428
02-15-2018, 14:49
Do you need a separate head covering - a balaclava - if you're already rollin' with a Buff, hat, and hood(on the Pat Torrent)?

7 oz book jumps out. How about using audio books or downloading to a device?

What Topos are you rockin? I ask because sock choices, rain/snow/wind wear(you're doing Frogg Toggs pants), and gaiter choices can be affected. For the start, about the first 45 days, you could carry a WP sock in addition to other pr(s) or be ready to bagtex. Bagtex doesn't offer much warmth in themselves but its cheap(free) and UL. A WP sandal type sock can and double as a light wt camp shoe basically making a low cut WP shoe out of a non WP one. DG gaiters(made of Lycra for their stretchiness and very good breathability especially good in hot weather) will keep debris out of low cuts but effectively not ice, water, or snow. With you Mar 9 date you're going to experience ice, snow, and freezing rain with associated lower temps, not so much hot weather. If you like gaiters how about something like DG's but more WP/WR for the beginning switching to DG's later when it gets hotter.

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback. Really appreciate it. Puddlefish I like the tape suggestion.

Dogwood - you're right to point out the balaclava. I was thinking I might start with the balaclava and switch to the buff when it warmed up. But I might decide to just start with the buff from the beginning and ditch the balaclava. Also right to point out the book (I just hate reading on my phone). But that might be one of the things I quickly change my mind about once I start a la Moldy's advice.

Updated my list to give more details. The topos are MT-2s. The Columbia is the silver ridge lite.

Bagtex is appealing because it's free. I'll probably plan on that. For a WP sandal/sock, you're talking about like a neoprene sock/slipper? Might be nice given that I don't have camp shoes currently.

I'll think on the gaiters advice and swapping the SW and Columbia LS. Thanks for the input.

To DrL: You're probably right on the journal/pen. Again, that might be something I decide to ditch. On the Aquatabs, I thought it was always advisable to have a backup water filtration system. What if my filter freezes? And for water bottles - only reason to go smaller is to save weight if 1.4 Ls plus the platy will be enough. But I'm airing towards carrying 2 Ls.

DrL
02-15-2018, 15:16
To DrL: You're probably right on the journal/pen. Again, that might be something I decide to ditch. On the Aquatabs, I thought it was always advisable to have a backup water filtration system. What if my filter freezes? And for water bottles - only reason to go smaller is to save weight if 1.4 Ls plus the platy will be enough. But I'm airing towards carrying 2 Ls.

Most of the time I hike with someone else who also has a Squeeze. So I have a backup.
When I go out solo, I don't add a backup to my kit (maybe I should), but one could always boil water in a pinch.

What do the tabs weight? Probably not worth debating....

fastfoxengineering
02-15-2018, 15:25
are you sure you aren't millenial? You should try a thru nowadays, with that 'trail provides' attitude you'll fit right in.I don't think that's what moldy was implying.

The OP is well prepared. Moldy was saying that if you run out of fuel or need a bandaid or something that one of your trail buddies probably has you covered in a pinch. I was on a twelve day hike with a friend. They're tank was empty on day 11. I had plenty of fuel to share. Was I suppose to shun them and lecture them on how things aren't free and it's their fault they are not prepared and should live with the consequences?...

Hiker comaderie is one of the best parts of hiking. Don't be so sour. And using the millennial analogy is old. Just stop. I'm a millennial. I don't expect a damn thing. There, your assumption is dispelled.

OP. You look well prepared. Have a few extras that you may or may not shed along the way.

We all do it. Im a gram counting gear analyzing hiker. I get my pack dialed in to the gram.

Somehow a pound of stuff I probably don't need ended up in my pack for the start of my AT hike. I know it has function. I just don't know if I need it yet. Rain Pants for instance. They have a purpose. I just might not NEED them for a mid April start. An extra layer as well.

Don't be afraid of dropping some gear if your not using it. But also don't fret the one pound of extra gear your carrying if mentally you don't want to get rid of it. You'll only notice 4 ounces gone from your pack when you want the item you sent home to shave negligible weight off an already reasonably light load.

Keep hiking and you'll soon find out whether or not you want to keep carrying it. Plenty of opportunities to add/delete pieces from your kit.

Take the first two weeks nice and easy and you'll figure out what kind of hike/gear you want. Plenty of time to reflect. I'm a 20-30 mpd hiker for the most part. I plan on keeping it around 10mpd for my first week or so.

Sometimes it's best to hit the bunny slope again for a few warm up runs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Dogwood
02-15-2018, 19:02
Your replies to my suggestions was exactly what I thought you might further consider. You got it. HYOH Enjoy the journey.

Dogwood
02-15-2018, 19:04
You've a solid kit demonstrating you've considered well. :cool:

Nail down the consumables wt and your light to nicely UL.

Shrewd
02-16-2018, 11:05
I like your list.

Few comments per my own experience;

I’d rather have a down hoody instead of a vest - the hood is wonderful and if I’m cold enough to want a puffy I’m gonna want it covering my arms. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn’t worry about a scoop - the only time i needed one was at a shelter watersource and there was one left there(I carried a small water bottle cut off and never used it). But anyway you can always use your cook pot as a scoop. It’ll be clean again once you boil for dinner so now real worry of contamination.

I too carried a few backup water tabs; never used em but they weighed nothing.

Med kit? Eh, by the end all I used was nail clippers and ibuprofen, but it’s nice to have a few antihistamines and anti diarrhea (Benadryl and Imodium)

You could maybe streamline your clothes a bit? Instead of having 250 leggings and shirt just have your mid layer be a backup sleep shirt if it’s too cold?

I sleep in a T most nights.

I rarely carried sun screen but in the beginning that burn can creep up on you.

I hate sporks; long handles spoon forever!!!!

I think you’re good to go,
Man.
The rest is really just nitpicking. After a few weeks you’ll figure it out and probably laugh about how much overthinking you did. A month after that you’ll laugh at what you still used to carry in North Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggreaves
02-16-2018, 14:42
It's a great, well-thought-out kit. A couple ideas....

1. Ditch the minimo for a 4oz firebox nano titanium. And you won't have to carry fuel either. Bring a few esbit tabs for those times when it's been raining for extended days and the wood's a little tough to get going. Practice a little with it and you won't want to go back to carrying canisters around.
2. I don't understand body-glide at all. Maybe it's my chemistry, but it don't glide on me - I've found that corn starch lubes and keeps me bone dry where I need it - give it a try.
3. Get your AT guide in a pdf and use guthooks on your smartphone

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2018, 19:00
Looks pretty well thought out. I'd stay with the Minimo or other canister stove, especially since you are starting in winter and obviously enjoy your coffee (the GSI pour over system).

Nathan428
02-16-2018, 23:06
obviously enjoy your coffee (the GSI pour over system).

Got me there :). Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

MtDoraDave
02-17-2018, 17:52
I use my ti coffee cup as a scoop when a scoop is needed.

poolskaterx
02-19-2018, 21:35
Nice kit, love the GSI pour over! I'll second on keeping the canister stove; there are lighter options even in canister types, but the one ya got is a great system.