PDA

View Full Version : men's underwear

Reverse
02-15-2018, 17:55
So, going through both my husbands and my hiking cloths today. I discovered all his underwear are cotton. He wears a brief style speedo type underwear. I am trying to find him some that would 1 not chafe, 2 dry quick 3 retard stank. :) So in the running are wool and exofficio but both are like buying gold. Please suggest as I do not usually buy mens underwear.
Thanks guys

Femadog
02-15-2018, 18:03
Well when you're hiking they are worth gold...... :-) I tried the Exofficio but ended up with Under Armor and love them for long distance hiking. 2 pair gives you 4 days of clean undies....

chknfngrs
02-15-2018, 19:20
Go to target and buy him Jockey boxer briefs. Nylon and wicking, and extremely comfortable.

T-Rx
02-15-2018, 20:02
I second the under armour suggestion. Best undies I’ve ever worn! I wear them daily now.

pettas
02-15-2018, 20:09
You might also want to look into the Duluth Trading Post's "Buck Naked" underwear. There are a variety of styles and all available in quick dry materials. I've been wearing them for the last couple of years and found them extremely comfortable.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Hikes in Rain
02-15-2018, 20:12
I use the Ex Officio briefs. Same basic style I normally wear, just different material, but feels much the same. Hike with two pair; at the end of the day, change to the "clean" pair and rinse the one I was wearing. Usually dries in an hour or so.

Slo-go'en
02-15-2018, 20:20
I've had good luck with Haynes X-temp line of undies. 100% polyester. Not very expensive.

tflaris
02-15-2018, 21:39
Well when you're hiking they are worth gold...... :-) I tried the Exofficio but ended up with Under Armor and love them for long distance hiking. 2 pair gives you 4 days of clean undies....

I’ve used both US and Exofficios. I prefer Exofficios.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
02-15-2018, 21:49
I usually wear some kind of cheap compression shorts from Academy or Walmart. Never had no issues. Does a good job sealing off the nether regions from ticks too.

When my son was playing sports in high school, football and Lacrosse and track, I learned this was all any of the high school athlete boys were using for underwear as well

JJ505
02-15-2018, 22:17
I got Columbia Men's Cotton Stretch underwear. I believe they come in briefs. They are 58% cotton, lycra, and spandex. They are super soft (more like very soft cotton) and somewhat stretchy and about $20 for two pairs. They dry as fast as Ex-Officio. I love them. You can get off Amazon (got them cheaper at Sierra Trading, but not sure if they are still there).

Deadeye
02-15-2018, 22:44
Duluth Trading Company Armachillos

I'm wearing them now, but Ill refrain from posting the pic. You can see them here:
https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-underwear/mens-boxers-mens-briefs/83737.aspx?processor=content

T_Packer
02-15-2018, 22:54
If price is the issue, try these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CPXKTF0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I bought some a coupe of months ago. Fine so far. I have also purchased Ex Offico boxers in the past. The boxers -- not boxer briefs. I do not recommend them.

T_Packer
02-15-2018, 22:55
If price is the issue, try these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CPXKTF0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I bought some a couple of months ago. Fine so far. I have also purchased Ex Offico boxers in the past. The boxers -- not boxer briefs. I do not recommend them.

Nycauburn
02-15-2018, 23:58
Ex officio jockey briefs are 3 pack for 24.99 at Costco right now

hipbone
02-16-2018, 00:18
So, going through both my husbands and my hiking cloths today. I discovered all his underwear are cotton. He wears a brief style speedo type underwear. I am trying to find him some that would 1 not chafe, 2 dry quick 3 retard stank. :) So in the running are wool and exofficio but both are like buying gold. Please suggest as I do not usually buy mens underwear.
Thanks guysSince no one has mentioned them, I like the REI Boxer briefs...tough as nails and comfy.

FreshStart
02-16-2018, 08:02
Exofficio all the way. I bought one pair to try for hiking years ago and now own close to 20 pairs. I still keep two in the hiking bag but wear the rest daily. They are great. Expensive but worth the money. No chaffing ever.

Just Bill
02-16-2018, 10:07
Ex Officio undies and Darn Tough Socks... not that often we get a solid consensus on 'best' but these two product come close.

Specifically- ex officio makes the 'give n go' line. This has recently been updated to include a newer 'sport mesh' model.

The older give n go can be had for as little as $12. Though mid teens is about right.
https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-Give-N-Go-Travel-Underwear-Maritime/dp/B071YW5CYX/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1518789692&sr=1-10&keywords=ex%2Bofficio%2Bmens%2Bunderwear&th=1&psc=1

The newer model is the Sport Mesh, it was more expensive... but as I look seems to be evening up in price.

It is silkier and smoother, but similar.
https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-Give-N-Go-Sport-Brief-Phantom/dp/B00TB0IQRO/ref=sr_1_15?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1518789692&sr=1-15&keywords=ex%2Bofficio%2Bmens%2Bunderwear&th=1&psc=1

They last years and like most, have slowly replaced all my underwear for daily and trail use.

If buying on Amazon... you have to hunt and click around a bit on colors and sizes as prices vary wildly on these.

linus72
02-16-2018, 11:16
used these for years with zero issues. worth every penny.
https://www.rei.com/product/862585/rei-co-op-boxer-briefs-mens

JPritch
02-16-2018, 11:21
Any sport-type poly/spandex boxer briefs would be great. I've found the higher compression stuff causes chafing after long days. Even though the seams are "flat-locked" or whatever you want to call it, they eventually rub. So I seek a looser fit. I've also done alot of commando recently and really enjoy it.

show me the monkey
02-16-2018, 17:50
If the chafing is between his thighs, then almost any wicking boxer brief will work for this purpose, the longer the leg the better. Keep in mind that these garments come with and without the... ahem "front pouch". Surely more comfortable with than without.
However, if the chafing is elsewhere, in the crotch or crease for example, you might want to look into diaper rash ointment such as triple paste or butt paste. Seems to be the only thing that works.

Highland Goat
02-23-2018, 08:13
I wore Exofficios on my thru hike and since then every day. Even after seven years, there is little wear.

devoidapop
02-23-2018, 11:38
I wore Exofficios on my thru hike and since then every day. Even after seven years, there is little wear.

That's a hell of a streak, pardon the pun

OCDave
02-23-2018, 13:06
... :) So in the running are wool and exofficio but both are like buying gold. Please suggest as I do not usually buy mens underwear....

I enjoyed my Smartwool underwear but found them to be not very durable. It did not take very long to wear holes through them.

Check out Duluth Trading Company Buck Naked underwear. https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-underwear/mens-underwear-mens-socks.aspx
These are comparable material to the ExOfficio brand but, cut a bit more genererous and priced a bit more reasonably than the ExOfficios. Duluth Trading company also uses this item to attract new customers so expect to see them on sale 25-35% off about every 6 weeks or so.

I originally got my Buck Naked Performance boxers to replace my ExOccifios for hiking but, have now replaced all my underwear with the Duluth Trading Company product.

Try'em, your husband will be pleased.

Gambit McCrae
02-23-2018, 13:35
about 3000 miles on Exofficios. (More then 1 pair), I get about 1000 miles out of a pair. I like the 9" inseam. I walked the entire state of new jersey in my Exofficios no shirt no shorts lol

Berserker
02-23-2018, 13:58
Not mentioned yet, but I wear shorts with a liner built in rather than underwear. I use Under Armor running shorts with the built in liner. These shorts are so light weight and thin that they can be worn comfortably under a pair of pants too. I used to wear underwear, but the shorts with the liner are so dang comfortable I just ditched the underwear. As for chaffing, they work really well for that in my experience as the only part really making significant contact with the skin is the border of the liner, which is very similar to the border of a pair of underwear.

DownEaster
02-23-2018, 14:09
I'm taking a couple pairs of Reebok Performance boxer briefs (5" inseams). Standard polyester wicking garments, not expensive. In the summer I'll switch to Soffe running shorts with built-in liners instead of briefs plus hiking pants.

Puddlefish
02-23-2018, 14:23
Reebok performance briefs, very thin, 6" inseam to prevent chafing, can be washed and easily dry overnight, even in humid conditions, last forever.

My Ex-Officio briefs were at least twice as much, and developed holes within months.

Wyoming
02-23-2018, 14:37
Ok. Since no one else has said this I will.

Forget the briefs and go commando. I have never worn briefs long distance hiking as they are a substandard hiking item. There is not any kind or brand which does not hold more moisture than the running shorts and they build stink quicker as well.

The way to prevent thigh chaffing is to wear synthetic long leg (9 inch) loose running shorts. I just buy a new pair of Nike running shorts for each long hike.

There is no brief which will prevent butt cheek chaffing so you need some slick substance of choice to rub on them until they get their own callus - which they will.

OCDave
02-23-2018, 17:07
...There is no brief which will prevent butt cheek chaffing so you need some slick substance of choice to rub on them until they get their own callus - which they will..

This must be what they call "a hard-assed hiker"

IslandPete
02-23-2018, 18:52
I used UnderArmor mesh boxer briefs in the longer leg length. I also talked my wife not getting some “ boy shorts” type underwear. Reason being, ticks. That was our biggest safety concern on our hike. We treated all our clothes, including underwear, with permethrin. Easy enough to check your arms and legs each day, and have someone check your back, but trying to find ticks up in your junk, in the dark, in your tent...
If ticks have to spend the time climbing up your leg under treated tight underwear, they’ll be dead...

Bags4266
02-23-2018, 23:28
Another buck naked fan

sarac
02-24-2018, 13:21
Any opinions on meundies?

Longboysfan
02-28-2018, 14:55
Thank you - was looking for this same thing.

Ground Control
03-01-2018, 10:53
picked up a pair of Exofficio boxer brief sport mesh 6" after reading this thread.
Hiked 5 miles in them, and drove straight back to the store to buy a second pair. Wow! These are revolutionary. :banana

Previously, upper thigh-chaffe had me pretty miserable (and never with enough Gold Bond powder) after two days of hiking. A pair of inguinal hernias also left me feeling like any boxer-briefs wouldn't provide enough, uh, support. These do.

Revolutionary.

handlebar
03-02-2018, 18:18
I use the Ex Officio briefs. Same basic style I normally wear, just different material, but feels much the same. Hike with two pair; at the end of the day, change to the "clean" pair and rinse the one I was wearing. Usually dries in an hour or so. <<---This!

Toolumpy
03-02-2018, 21:45
I used under armour and still chaffed. Finally just wore a pair of loose fitting gym shorts which worked great. Used body glide. Still wear under armour for daily use but never for hiking, just didn't work for me hiking.

Astro
03-03-2018, 01:00
Ex Officio Boxer Briefs when backpacking. Use Under Armour when just walking around the neighborhood or day hikes.

hikermiker
03-03-2018, 18:45
If you have money then Patagonia Briefs, if not the REI. If really no money then Walmart ladies nylon.

OutdoorsMan
03-04-2018, 19:25
You might also want to look into the Duluth Trading Post's "Buck Naked" underwear. There are a variety of styles and all available in quick dry materials. I've been wearing them for the last couple of years and found them extremely comfortable.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
I got some Duluth Trading Post underwear for Christmas. I don’t think I will ever buy another brand. They are awesome and this is from someone who frequently went commando - to work, hiking, anywhere. No more, I wear Duluth’s all the time now.

TexasBob
03-19-2018, 20:01
I use the Ex Officio briefs. Same basic style I normally wear, just different material, but feels much the same. Hike with two pair; at the end of the day, change to the "clean" pair and rinse the one I was wearing. Usually dries in an hour or so.

So I read all these reports about Ex Officio Briefs being so great so I got a pair to try them out. Most comfortable briefs (men's give and go briefs) I have ever worn. They are expensive but in my humble opinion worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-1241-0008-Mens-Give-N-Go-Brief/dp/B01MS3RFP5?th=1

JJ505
03-19-2018, 22:28
If you have money then Patagonia Briefs, if not the REI. If really no money then Walmart ladies nylon.

Another option for really cheap: Terramar boxer briefs (probably have briefs as well) off Amazon 3 pairs for $12. I'd gather *much* more comfortable. They are really soft.They do breathe-- can't imagine the above breathes.