PDA

View Full Version : dr bronner's soap, peppermint vs unscented

blw2
02-15-2018, 21:42
So what's the difference in function.... I mean obviously I'd assume that one has peppermint oil and the other doesn't.... but are they both otherwise equally as useful?

Venchka
02-15-2018, 21:48
We’ve been using the Baby Unscented by the quart since forever. It works. No worries carrying it in the woods.
Wayne

chknfngrs
02-15-2018, 22:07
It is some great and versatile soap, for sure. At home or in the woods

JJ505
02-15-2018, 22:09
They are both pure castile soap, only difference is scent (or not).

Tipi Walter
02-15-2018, 22:12
For about 20 years I was heavily into peppermint, then I started taking out lavender; now I'm hooked on tea tree.

Hatchet_1697
02-15-2018, 22:22
One attracts bears, the other does not :) Same soap, diff smell, still great stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Venchka
02-15-2018, 22:29
I found the 2 oz. Baby in the cosmetics section of Target a couple weeks ago.
Wayne

Dogwood
02-15-2018, 22:55
Dr Bronners Hemp Peppermint soaps contain actual peppermint. Peppermint has a calming cooling refreshing soothing and awakening effect. It has antimicrobrial, respirtory clearing, and mental focusing properties. I use it to awaken, focus, refresh hair, skin teeth/breath etc. It has been known to offer some insect protection.. it's an essential oil in most of my homemade almond oil based insect repellents.

Dogwood
02-15-2018, 22:58
I've used peppermint as an ingredient extensively in problem black and grizzly bear areas with absolutely no issue.

SoaknWet
02-16-2018, 08:05
Just don't wear red and white striped clothes! Also hear mice can't stand the smell of peppermint.

Gambit McCrae
02-16-2018, 09:05
I used dr bronners for the first time in a Massachusetts hostel and ordered a case of it while I was there to be mailed home. I have used it for about 3 years now and love it. The peppermint that is

saltysack
02-16-2018, 09:18
Prefer the peppermint for the effects DW mentioned....nothing is as refreshing as wiping down after a long day with lil warm water and few DROPS of peppermint DR.B.....doesn’t leave a soapy residue even without rinsing....Still can’t enjoy brushing my teeth with it, though I’ve tried...yuck...i buy it by the big jug online and refill the smaller bottles for daily home use as well. Great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
02-16-2018, 09:56
So what's the difference in function.... I mean obviously I'd assume that one has peppermint oil and the other doesn't.... but are they both otherwise equally as useful?
I find the peppermint more useful. Functionally the 'soap' part of the soap works the same regardless of 'flavor' or scent.

Some have made the food smell argument in bear country but I've never seen or heard enough to put much stock in that. But lavender, cedar, or other scents are more natural if you have that concern.
I've never used the unscented version and not sure I would want to... something nice about 'smelling' your soap in my opinion and I never found that it imparted any taste to my cooking implements when washing them.

One advantage not directly mentioned to peppermint: is summertime.
The hotter it is, the more often I bathe. And when it is hot, the peppermint oil is cooling on the skin. On hot sweaty summer nights I found the peppermint washup before bed to be extra refreshing.

If it matters to you... Costco was carrying quarts of peppermint for a good price. Otherwise https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Sampler-Eucalyptus-Peppermint/dp/B01LWLWP17/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1518789002&sr=8-3&keywords=dr%2Bbronners%2Bsampler%2Bpack&th=1

Here's a link to a few samplers... the linked one is to a pack with the baby soap, peppermint, lavender.

The only negative I've heard with peppermint is when washing up chafed areas. Again, I prefer the long term cooling to any temporary sting.
But there are folks who swear by the baby soap for this reason... never personally tried it.

Not my thing... but someone like dogwood could potentially comment on using unscented and adding essential oils of your choice to it.

Just Bill
02-16-2018, 09:56
Duplicate...

Coffee
02-16-2018, 10:12
I prefer unscented but have used peppermint too. I always assumed that using peppermint increases the risk of animal encounters around camp but maybe I'm mistaken.

Just Bill
02-16-2018, 10:50
Guess I'm not alone:

SOOTHING SCENTS
LAVENDER. Soothing and calming
PEPPERMINT. Cools the skin and clears sinuses.
TEA TREE. Woodsy and medicinal, good for acne-prone skin
ALMOND. Warm and comforting with a slightly sweet aroma.
EUCALYPTUS. Earthy and warm, with a powerful menthol burst
ROSE. Floral and fresh, with a hint of sweetness
CITRUS. Fresh and bright with a blend of organic orange, lemon and lime oils
BABY UNSCENTED. With no added fragrance and 2x the olive oil for sensitive skin

Venchka
02-16-2018, 11:02
Like shoes. Like backpacks. Like bedding. Like shelter. To each his or her own.
As for price: Bed Bath & Beyond text message 20% coupons keep us supplied for approximately $10/quart.
Wayne

saltysack
02-16-2018, 12:33
Like shoes. Like backpacks. Like bedding. Like shelter. To each his or her own.
As for price: Bed Bath & Beyond text message 20% coupons keep us supplied for approximately $10/quart.
Wayne

I don’t see Dr B at bed bath beyond....pulls up a generic when I search.

saltysack
02-16-2018, 12:35
I find the peppermint more useful. Functionally the 'soap' part of the soap works the same regardless of 'flavor' or scent.

Some have made the food smell argument in bear country but I've never seen or heard enough to put much stock in that. But lavender, cedar, or other scents are more natural if you have that concern.
I've never used the unscented version and not sure I would want to... something nice about 'smelling' your soap in my opinion and I never found that it imparted any taste to my cooking implements when washing them.

One advantage not directly mentioned to peppermint: is summertime.
The hotter it is, the more often I bathe. And when it is hot, the peppermint oil is cooling on the skin. On hot sweaty summer nights I found the peppermint washup before bed to be extra refreshing.

If it matters to you... Costco was carrying quarts of peppermint for a good price. Otherwise https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Sampler-Eucalyptus-Peppermint/dp/B01LWLWP17/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1518789002&sr=8-3&keywords=dr%2Bbronners%2Bsampler%2Bpack&th=1

Here's a link to a few samplers... the linked one is to a pack with the baby soap, peppermint, lavender.

The only negative I've heard with peppermint is when washing up chafed areas. Again, I prefer the long term cooling to any temporary sting.
But there are folks who swear by the baby soap for this reason... never personally tried it.

Not my thing... but someone like dogwood could potentially comment on using unscented and adding essential oils of your choice to it.

Can’t seem to find at Costco dot com....never seen at store....locally Trader Joe’s or Lucky’s market and target seem to be cheapest...rei is higher...

CalebJ
02-16-2018, 12:54

Looks like they don't carry it any more. Google has some results at BB&B but they lead to a product discontinued page. Would be interesting to know how similar the generic is.

Venchka
02-16-2018, 13:18

We shop in person. They have 2 store sizes. The larger stores have a personal grooming products section. Call around. Sign up online for the text message coupon.
Wayne

Venchka
02-16-2018, 13:29
The Bed Bath and Beyond web site is wonky and we haven’t bought any Dr. B’s soap in awhile.
The website is showing a house brand castille soap. It might take a phone call. Bummer.
Wayne

KyJuniper
02-16-2018, 13:48
Meijer also has a house brand peppermint castille soap. $9.99 in comparison to the $12.99 for Dr. Bronners. Equally potent.

show me the monkey
02-16-2018, 17:30
Peppermint Bronner's can be a used as toothpaste also, though it only takes about a drop to do the job. Any more than that and it taste like soap!
It does take a little getting used to, but works in a pinch.

kestral
02-16-2018, 17:38
I like the peppermint. I just tried the citrus which I like very much, but it doesn’t linger like the peppermint. I’ll have to search out the rose. I use the stuff at home and bring it to work. Good stuff. Don’t mind paying a little extra for a superior product.

Dogwood
02-16-2018, 17:44
Peppermint Bronner's can be a used as toothpaste also, though it only takes about a drop to do the job. Any more than that and it taste like soap!

That's part of the secret used as a toothpaste, mouth freshener,... a small amount; Dr Bronners is concentrated.

Traffic Jam
02-16-2018, 17:45
It’s easy to make your own and you control the type and quantity of essential oil.

Dogwood
02-16-2018, 17:52
It’s easy to make your own and you control the type and quantity of essential oil.

:jump:clap:bse

Venchka
02-16-2018, 21:29
The Bed Bath and Beyond web site is wonky and we haven’t bought any Dr. B’s soap in awhile.
The website is showing a house brand castille soap. It might take a phone call. Bummer.
Wayne
Bummer! The Bean Counters have struck again.
Target & Ulta are stocking Dr. Bronner's. Or the dreaded Amazon.
Wayne

sarac
02-24-2018, 13:27
Enjoy the peppermint version at home

Venchka
02-24-2018, 13:29
Dr. Bronners is also available in the SUL dehydrated bar form. Carve out a few 1/2-1 ounce chunks and put them in your bounce box.
Wayne

Traffic Jam
02-24-2018, 13:49
Do y’all bury your gray water?

saltysack
02-24-2018, 19:25
Do y’all bury your gray water?

Simply drink it....one of the thousands of uses is as a colon cleaner...[emoji38]

RangerZ
02-24-2018, 21:49
For about 20 years I was heavily into peppermint, then I started taking out lavender; now I'm hooked on tea tree.

Walter, I can't picture you into lavender.

Traffic Jam
02-24-2018, 21:55
Simply drink it....one of the thousands of uses is as a colon cleaner...[emoji38]

:)

It’s a serious question, as I understand that is the recommendation for biodegradable soap...and read some sketchy stuff in the hiker funk thread.

tomlinson
02-26-2018, 16:15

Tried this when camping with my kids when they were young. They will never forgive me. I hear about it every time we get together and someone swears ("Dad, remember when you washed our mouths out with soap when we didn't even cuss?"). Not recommended!

CalebJ
02-26-2018, 16:39
A drop or two of the peppermint soap never bothered me as toothpaste. I can see it being overpowering beyond that.

Farr Away
02-26-2018, 17:18
I've found the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap at Trader Joe's in Knoxville.

-FA

Tipi Walter
02-26-2018, 21:59
Walter, I can't picture you into lavender.

I have girlie forearms and a near pencil neck despite the Mother Anvil on my back, so yes I find lavender soothing. Spritz a little lavender oil on your pillows boys and you may sleep better or at least relax.

Dogwood
02-26-2018, 23:26

What do you use as the base?

Traffic Jam
02-27-2018, 21:16
What do you use as the base?

My Castile soap comes from Mountain Rose Herbs and I add essential oil. Contemplating mixing some with citronella and pennyroyal.

DownEaster
02-28-2018, 02:16
I'm for the peppermint Dr. Bronner's over the unscented. I find the peppermint oil refreshing. I figure the odor of built-up sweat on my backpack, shoes, and other gear is going to be much more pungent than a bit of peppermint, so I don't worry about bears finding me more interesting when I scrub up.

Dogwood
02-28-2018, 17:20
My Castile soap comes from Mountain Rose Herbs and I add essential oil. Contemplating mixing some with citronella and pennyroyal.

Gonna have some insect repelling properties which I'm sure ya know. Gonna smell unusual(good) IMO as well for the other benefits.

saltysack
03-07-2018, 17:09
Lucky’s has Dr B BOGO today’s last day....got 2-32oz for $16.99....great deal!

Snowleopard
03-10-2018, 16:15

Be careful, pennyroyal is toxic to humans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_pulegium#Toxicity

Traffic Jam
03-11-2018, 11:24
Be careful, pennyroyal is toxic to humans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_pulegium#Toxicity

Too late!

just kidding, thanks for the warning. I’ll give it a pass.