PDA

View Full Version : Help with summer section ideas?!?!?

johnnyblisters
02-11-2006, 03:42
Im planning a trip after I graduate highschool this summer (6-6-06 the day of the beast haha) and I wanted to see if anyone had a good 200 to 300 mile section they would recomend. I was thinking of starting from Springer, but my concern is being down south in June, and if doing a section in the Whites would be more promising.

Cookerhiker
02-11-2006, 18:17
Im planning a trip after I graduate highschool this summer (6-6-06 the day of the beast haha) and I wanted to see if anyone had a good 200 to 300 mile section they would recomend. I was thinking of starting from Springer, but my concern is being down south in June, and if doing a section in the Whites would be more promising.

If you start shortly after June 6, you're into prime bug season throughout much of the Trail. Especially from NJ northward, you'd be fighting mosquitos.

Can you wait until August? If so, why not hike from Gorham (US Rt 2 in NH) to Katahdin? At 297 miles, it lies within your parameter. I hiked it last year in 4 weeks. Being younger, you can probably shave that to 3 weeks. Since you live in Annapolis, you can train for the steep ascents in Maine by hiking Old Rag in SNP and Lehigh Gap in PA. The latter would be the best training for descents as well.

Actually the best way to train is to contact the PATC and participate in their weekly Tuesday "vigorous" hikes which typically cover 14-18 miles and 2,500-3,500 feet of elevation.

Kerosene
02-11-2006, 20:59
I'd probably stick to Virginia or Pennsylvania in June. If you want views then I'd suggest the southern or northern half of Virginia. 300 miles will take you about 3 weeks.

If you start in Damascus you could reach Roanoke and beyond. From Roanoke you could reach Harpers Ferry.

The Damascus to Roanoke section would include Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands, nice walking around Pearisburg, Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob, and Tinkers Cliffs.

The Roanoke to Harpers Ferry section includes Cole Mountain, Tar Jacket Ridge, The Priest, and Shenendoah National Park, but I'd start about 30 miles south of Roanoke at Dragon's Tooth.

You will certainly hit some steamy weather in June, but the bugs shouldn't be quite as bad as up north.

johnnyblisters
02-20-2006, 21:06
thanks for the suggestions,
nowif i do start out at springer, where would be a nice ending point (roughly 300 miles)?

Skidsteer
02-20-2006, 21:13
thanks for the suggestions,
nowif i do start out at springer, where would be a nice ending point (roughly 300 miles)?

Erwin and Miss Janet's( 338 miles ) or Hot Springs ( 270 miles ). :)