PDA

View Full Version : Do you HIKE in sandals?

blw2
02-18-2018, 20:43
What is your preferred sandal for hiking?

I'm not talking about just as a camp/shower/fording shoe....I'm talking about hiking a trail. No particular trail in mind really, so let's say most of the AT as an example.....

I wear rainbow flip flops most of the time when I'm not working or barefoot, and I've even hiked a few trail miles in them on day hikes...but obviously not the shoe of choice for hiking.

Which style do you prefer.....thong between the toes type strap or strap over the top?

The chacos and the like seem awfully heavy. I have a pair of Keens with a closed toe, but I find them heavy too and not the most comfortable....xero, I wonder about them....maybe a bit too minimal for me?. I'm just not sure what I want to try.... Bedrocks maybe? Luna?
I think'd prefer the strap over the top for the option of wearing with socks, but then maybe these aren't the best for trails....

Just looking for some experienced input....

CrumbSnatcher
02-18-2018, 21:37
3 0f my 4 thruhikes i wore Chaco sandels. Sometimes without socks, some times socks, sometimes socks with my waterproof socks over that. My first pair of chacos did have the big toe strap i did not like that, i actually flattened it out and had my big toe on top of it. the older chacos had the vibram sole which clung to the rocks very well, this is when they were still made in the good ole U.S.A. in Colorado. its been a few years, i remember sending in a pair to have them resoled, talked to the rep. and he was talking about the newer chaco, he called them college campus chacos, they started to make the bottom soles that would not mark up the gym floors and what not,but they were more plastic type soles and were slippery,the quality on them went way down especially when they started making them overseas. they might of seemed heavy at first, but i remember climbing the hills right after Hawk Mtn. shelter and realized i was much happier than my first hike when i wore Montrail Moraine heavy-middle weight boots. i ways catching sticks in between my sandals and feet sometimes and that was annoying. I don't remember any blisters like when i wore boots but the dust and dirt would really dry out and crack the skin, and that can be as painful as blisters. i really loved my seal skin waterproof socks! i would wear smartwool socks with the waterproof sock over that and then a low cut gaiter. i could literally stand in a creek cooling off my feet without them getting wet. i never had to carry camp shoes when i hiked in sandals, my feet were so happy and comfortable especially with all foot layers on. even on dry clear days if my feet were dry or cracked i would put on socks and waterproof socks that would make my feet sweat just enough to put some moister back in them. people would ask if i ever stubbed my toes with open toe sandals on? i hardly ever did, but quite a few times after stepping over logs or rocks i would hit my back heal on things.

devoidapop
02-18-2018, 21:46
I like to hike in my Tevas, but they don't seem to dry out as quickly as I would like. Water gets trapped in the arch and just stays there. I have read that some people drill drain holes in the sole. I have thought about it but have not tried it. Without socks your feet can get pretty grungy and funny too. Same problem, sweat trapped in the arch.

I will say that I almost never stub my toes in sandals. Maybe because my steps are lighter. Maybe because I'm more conscious of my exposed toes.

Dogwood
02-18-2018, 22:12
Depends on the hike and if it's just hiking, as in a day hike, or backpacking. Generally, I like Keen Newport H2's for their protection to toes and forefoot, outstanding durability, arch support to my high arches, firm fit that keeps a sandal from falling off, and their cush. I have never chosen a sandal based on wt alone. IMO doing that is being stupid light.

CrumbSnatcher
02-18-2018, 22:41
i couldn't find any other sandal wide enough other than my Chacos, never tried too hard to look :)
I have never really did anything other than thruhiking. i did a few slack packs in my day, usually carried my pack all the time, especially my first thruhike, i had offers to slack but just never took it off.
i hiked in a Kelty Super Tioga external frame(loved it) and always carried my dogs gear,treats,food,toy,blanket & her sleeping pad(air mattress) i had a z-rest foam pad. some nights she had both :)
scared a couple times rolling my ankle, but never got injured wearing sandals. i carried telescoping trekking poles, used both usually, sometimes one, sometimes they were in my pack

MoeTCrow
02-18-2018, 23:16
I hike in tevas just about year round. Tried Chacos but they didn't fit right on my flat feet. Have zeros for around town, love them until they get wet just too slippery on the top of the footbed. No toe strap. Sometimes when it's cold I put my wool socks on. And no rubbing between toes that way. In all but the coldest of southern temps. My feet sweat like crazy. Even in sandals. Any sock becomes stiff and rank in half a days hike. I like being able to adjust the straps individually so I can loosen or thing ten as necessary. My zeros don't have that sort of adjustability, don't remember if the Chacos did or not. And yes feet get nasty. Wash em it's good for them. And socks to bed are nice too.

UncleAir
02-19-2018, 06:32
+1 on Chacos. Shoes made the balls of my feet hurt. The cushioning of the Chacos eliminated that.

Using them did bring some strap blisters and such which waned over time. Also the openess allowed some potential for grit and pebbles underfoot and occasional ground twig poking.

One does have to beware of drying skin, so lubrication is needed.

Those things aside, I prefer them even in winter with socks, inside of a pair of Neos. No more sore feet.

I do, however, wonder about some of the highly cushioned shoes on the market. Have yet to try them as I am not interested in plunking doen the cash and then find they do not work as hoped.

There you have my 2 pennies.

blw2
02-19-2018, 08:13
Not drying....I've had similar experiences with my Keens, and come to think of it with an old pair of Teva's that I had.... I guess I see that potential with the chacos now that you all mention it.

+ Have yet to try them as I am not interested in plunking doen the cash and then find they do not work as hoped.
There you have my 2 pennies.

you know, that's my major motivation for fishing for input with this thread. Just hate to plop down cash for another pair of sandals to go into my show bin next to those keens...(the ones that took the spot from those tevas years ago....)

Those Bedrocks and Lunas look like they may not have the drying problem, with their more minimal strapping, but that between the toe strap makes socks just weird.....yeah I know, socks with sandals ARE weird....but...

Dogwood
02-19-2018, 11:13
Dry times I would think is lower on the list of priorities why one should want to opt for a specific hiking sandal. If that concerned WP them with a spray.

The thong between the toe type sandal can generally lead to foot problems on a long multi day multi wk hike. Wear a sock with such a sandal expect to go through a greater number of socks.

There already exists so many potential hazards to hikes number one being slips, trips, and falls. This is compunded being a Newbie with flip flop type sandals, less protective sandal designs, and designs that don't firmly have sandals on feet.

devoidapop
02-19-2018, 11:31
The thong between the toe type sandal can generally lead to foot problems on a long multi day multi wk hike. Wear a sock with such a sandal expect to go through a greater number of socks.

I can't see those being comfortable either, but if someone prefers that style and needs socks for warmth, go with Injinji.

Dogwood
02-19-2018, 11:52
I can't see those being comfortable either, but if someone prefers that style and needs socks for warmth, go with Injinji.

Yup.....

Or you look like a Bennie on the beach in Seaside NJ.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)

blw2
02-19-2018, 20:58
Dry times I would think is lower on the list of priorities why one should want to opt for a specific hiking sandal. If that concerned WP them with a spray.

There already exists so many potential hazards to hikes number one being slips, trips, and falls. This is compunded being a Newbie with flip flop type sandals, less protective sandal designs, and designs that don't firmly have sandals on feet.

well actually dry time is a factor. Hiking in sandals that stay wet is, at least in some ways worse than trail runners or boots. With those you have socks as a buffer....
You say the thong type can lead to foot problems. Do you have first hand experience? What sort of problems? Which sandals?
Regarding your last paragraph, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that but I'll take it as an unconstructive dig.... but I'll point out that I have walked many miles over many years in real flip flops....and many off road miles.... and what I am asking about are not flip flops. Flips, yeah sure tripping and sliding are potential issues, but these sandals are attached to the foot much better.

bamboo bob
02-19-2018, 21:40
I hiked the northern half of the AT in Sandals. And half the Florida Trail. In wet conditions they dry quickly. Not great for sticks and rocks etc.

blw2
02-19-2018, 22:23
I hiked the northern half of the AT in Sandals. And half the Florida Trail. In wet conditions they dry quickly. Not great for sticks and rocks etc.

Which kind? likes, dislikes?

gracebowen
02-19-2018, 23:06
I did a couple of overnights and do almost all my day hikes in sandals. I plan to test hike a pair of Mexican tire sandals in April.

OCDave
02-20-2018, 00:45
Spontaneous, ambling day hikes only.

I am of an age I am beginning to regret some of the abuse I might have spared my body. I have recurrent aches that I can trace back to specific injuries. One of those is a recurrent plantar fasciitis. I love my Tevas but, if I am hiking with purpose I choose better foot protection.

Dogwood
02-20-2018, 01:11
well actually dry time is a factor. Hiking in sandals that stay wet is, at least in some ways worse than trail runners or boots. With those you have socks as a buffer....
You say the thong type can lead to foot problems. Do you have first hand experience? What sort of problems? Which sandals?
Regarding your last paragraph, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that but I'll take it as an unconstructive dig.... but I'll point out that I have walked many miles over many years in real flip flops....and many off road miles.... and what I am asking about are not flip flops. Flips, yeah sure tripping and sliding are potential issues, but these sandals are attached to the foot much better.

I did not reply in a contentious manner. There is no need for coming back in that manner.

I did not say dry times is not a factor. Look again at what was said. If I thought it wasn't a factor why would I have suggested a WPing spray?

I have had problems with blisters, abrasions, and sore spots between toes where the thong is even on day hikes so yes I was replying based on those personal experiences. I've seen this happen with others using this type of sandal as well.

We agree on the last pargraph. It was not meant as an unconstructive dig. We're both saying a sandal that firmly stays on the foot is a better hiking sandal. :)

devoidapop
02-20-2018, 08:01
My issue with Tevas on a wet trail is not the fabric of the straps. That's minimal so not a big deal if it's wet. The part that does not drain is the foot bed under the arch. Not much to do about that except buy sandals with drain holes (I don't believe Teva has a model with drain holes anymore), drill some holes (Not sure about how the sole will hold up or how it will effect pressure points), or suck it up and have another option for hikes that are likely to be a sloshfest

Gambit McCrae
02-20-2018, 09:07
It only took about 200 miles to fracture my Distal Metatarsal wearing keen minimalist sandals. I never got a good boot and now it has healed and I can feel it on occasion. With the light weight options for trail runners, I can only see someone hiking in sandals out of ignorance. I can say this bc then I put another 200 miles on a pair of crocs, loved it but a thread on here pretty much put a kibosh on wearing those thus is how I learned about Altras.

Cheyou
02-20-2018, 13:38
“ I can only see someone hiking in sandals out of ignorance.”

wierdest post of the day so far.

thom

gracebowen
02-20-2018, 14:28
I'm not ignorant. I just hate shoes. I will start in sandals and change it up if I have to. Also the Tarahumara regularly run on rugged mountain trails in sandals.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjft93isbHZAhWPtsAKHQJnDbcYABAmGgJpbQ&ae=1&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2-pZzL7fs7R5lkB0PsUtc&sig=AOD64_16QDKmDPmekzg-VjkD1R53IbCDHA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiQtdTisbHZAhVn0YMKHQFwB0EQwg8IUA&adurl=http://7141.xg4ken.com/trk/v1%3Fprof%3D401%26camp%3D186%26affcode%3Dpg115643% 26kct%3Dgoogle%26kchid%3D7900033930%26cid%3D928859 21677%26networkType%3Dsearch%26kdv%3Dm%26kpid%3DPA T01J1-SAD-S14%26kmc%3D7811%26criteriaid%3Daud-112578408019:pla-378838840239%26adgroupid%3D20467850917%26campaigni d%3D292605517%26locphy%3D9028080%26adpos%3D1o13%26 url%3Dhttps://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-corduroy-skirt-womens%3FCMP_SKU%3DPAT01J1%26MER%3D0406%26skid%3DP AT01J1-SAD-S14%26mr:trackingCode%3D07BC5CF0-D563-E611-80F6-005056944E17%26mr:referralID%3DNA%26mr:device%3Dm% 26mr:adType%3Dplaonline%26CMP_ID%3DPLA_GMm001%26ut m_source%3DGoogle%26utm_medium%3DPLA%26k_clickid%3 D_kenshoo_clickid_%26rmatt%3Dtsid:1042790%7Ccid:29 2605517%7Cagid:20467850917%7Ctid:aud-112578408019:pla-378838840239%7Ccrid:92885921677%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:46729 2906804577393%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o13%7Cmt:%7Cloc:90280 80%26gclid%3DCj0KCQiA5aTUBRC2ARIsAPoPJk-cTk-k498oi8NZckvtlVu-CJIdub1CmA-NisMYUzY65J-xc25mWNUaAsnSEALw_wcB

Dogwood
02-20-2018, 16:54
I'm not ignorant. I just hate shoes. I will start in sandals and change it up if I have to. Also the Tarahumara regularly run on rugged mountain trails in sandals.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjft93isbHZAhWPtsAKHQJnDbcYABAmGgJpbQ&ae=1&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2-pZzL7fs7R5lkB0PsUtc&sig=AOD64_16QDKmDPmekzg-VjkD1R53IbCDHA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiQtdTisbHZAhVn0YMKHQFwB0EQwg8IUA&adurl=http://7141.xg4ken.com/trk/v1%3Fprof%3D401%26camp%3D186%26affcode%3Dpg115643% 26kct%3Dgoogle%26kchid%3D7900033930%26cid%3D928859 21677%26networkType%3Dsearch%26kdv%3Dm%26kpid%3DPA T01J1-SAD-S14%26kmc%3D7811%26criteriaid%3Daud-112578408019:pla-378838840239%26adgroupid%3D20467850917%26campaigni d%3D292605517%26locphy%3D9028080%26adpos%3D1o13%26 url%3Dhttps://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-corduroy-skirt-womens%3FCMP_SKU%3DPAT01J1%26MER%3D0406%26skid%3DP AT01J1-SAD-S14%26mr:trackingCode%3D07BC5CF0-D563-E611-80F6-005056944E17%26mr:referralID%3DNA%26mr:device%3Dm% 26mr:adType%3Dplaonline%26CMP_ID%3DPLA_GMm001%26ut m_source%3DGoogle%26utm_medium%3DPLA%26k_clickid%3 D_kenshoo_clickid_%26rmatt%3Dtsid:1042790%7Ccid:29 2605517%7Cagid:20467850917%7Ctid:aud-112578408019:pla-378838840239%7Ccrid:92885921677%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:46729 2906804577393%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o13%7Cmt:%7Cloc:90280 80%26gclid%3DCj0KCQiA5aTUBRC2ARIsAPoPJk-cTk-k498oi8NZckvtlVu-CJIdub1CmA-NisMYUzY65J-xc25mWNUaAsnSEALw_wcB

Yes but they have a background of running barefoot from a very young age. How about yourself? Do you know the type of specific mountain terrain, trail/off trail character, and abrasiveness they are acuustomed to running compared to some of the harshest the AT throws at you?

Certainly there are those much experienced with hiking in sandals but that's one reason why earlier it was said what sandals can be chosen depends on the hike - trail conditions.

BikeCandle
02-20-2018, 17:01
Just to add another plug for hiking in sandals... I have admittedly awkward shaped feet and find sandals to be much less restrictive (though the cons definitely still apply, sticks, rocks, etc). I've had really good luck with BedRock Sandals (https://bedrocksandals.com/collections/sandals). In fact, I assume they must be coming up with a new version since they're running a sale on current models... Perhaps one without a toe strap.

Dogwood
02-20-2018, 17:05
Elaborate on why Bedrock sandals for the AT. I'm asking not judging.

BikeCandle
02-20-2018, 17:13
Sure! I've just had good luck with them in terms of durability and customer service. Additionally, I never tried Chacos or Tevas so I can only offer another option I've had good luck with admitting that I can not offer a comparison review between the brands. In fact, I'm interested in this discussion to learn about the likelihood of completing a thru-hike in sandals which is my current plan (unless otherwise persuaded).

gracebowen
02-20-2018, 17:58
I an barefoot as often as possible. When I do wear shoes it's usually sandals. I hiked 14 miles of the Good Water trail in sandals. Pretty much wore them out. In fact most would consider them done but I'm saving them to really finish them off (as in won't stay on or the sole falls apart) at the river this summer.

But the reference to the Tara Humana someone posted only ignorant people hike in sandals

Cheyou
02-20-2018, 18:01
Yes but they have a background of running barefoot from a very young age. How about yourself? Do you know the type of specific mountain terrain, trail/off trail character, and abrasiveness they are acuustomed to running compared to some of the harshest the AT throws at you?

Certainly there are those much experienced with hiking in sandals but that's one reason why earlier it was said what sandals can be chosen depends on the hike - trail conditions.

The OP asked what type we hiked in . What sandals do you hike in ? The shoe tree at Neel gap has lots of quality foot wear that didn’t work out out for hikers. They might’ve bin better off in sandals . Teva’s have worked for me . If it didn’t work out put them in the tree at Neel gap.

thom

TX Aggie
02-20-2018, 18:05
Which style of the Chacos seem to do best in Trail conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gracebowen
02-20-2018, 18:52
Right now my hiking is done in whatever shoes I have. I plan on trail testing some tire sandals in April.

Dogwood
02-20-2018, 19:53
TU BikeCandle and Grace Bowen.

I understand that Cheyou. Before posting anything myself I've read and considered all the OP's posts. The OP was also interested in the why's. :) Blw2 also related it was in context of hiking "most of the AT." If that's important to the OP it should be important to factor in with any post made.:)

Since the AT can have rough stumbling roly poly Rocksylvania type thread with high grade rocky rooty muddy descents and ascents involving trail construction in the east coast humid often wet weather with little loose pebbles and debris in the center of the tread that's different terrain than most of the CA PCT or walking on a flat beach or to the grocery store 2 miles away. That's why I think the OP Blw2 included the info he did. Just trying to answer in context. :)

blw2
02-20-2018, 22:02
It only took about 200 miles to fracture my Distal Metatarsal wearing keen minimalist sandals. I never got a good boot and now it has healed and I can feel it on occasion. With the light weight options for trail runners, I can only see someone hiking in sandals out of ignorance. I can say this bc then I put another 200 miles on a pair of crocs, loved it but a thread on here pretty much put a kibosh on wearing those thus is how I learned about Altras.
Yeah that stinks about the injury.
I don't know the thread about crocs, but I've found them to be great for a trip to the mailbox but wearing them any length of time working in the yard or shopping or whatever, my feet will ache. Too squishy I'd guess.

blw2
02-20-2018, 22:42
Elaborate on why Bedrock sandals for the AT. I'm asking not judging.

I can't say bedrock specifically....
but sandals in general...the reasons I started this thread
is that generally I'd rather wear my flip flops any day around town than athletic shoes or any other kind really...... so why wouldn't I want to extend that to hiking a trail? Not off trail blazing stuff so much I suppose, but....
cooler
lighter
dryer
not restrictive
A little bit like all the advantages of trail runners over mountaineering boots.
I'll add this, as I've mentioned before I've "day hiked" quite a bit in my flip flops. The only problems I've really had there have been on hills because my foot isn't firmly attached and want to slide out ...

blw2
02-20-2018, 22:54
In fact, I'm interested in this discussion to learn about the likelihood of completing a thru-hike in sandals which is my current plan (unless otherwise persuaded).
One of the youtube channels I follow, Evan's Backpacking Videos, is through hiking the AT in Luna sandals I believe... I'm really looking forward to his reports....

Dogwood
02-20-2018, 23:39
Thx Blw. That's all I was desiring - a give and take. I'm learning some things and offering other things.;)

gracebowen
02-21-2018, 01:57
Blw2 if you hike before me I'd love to know how it goes. I'd like to keep to sandals too. As I stated before I don't like shoes. They just never felt comfortable on my feet. If I'm forced to wear sneakers it's hard to find a pair because I need them fairly flat on the inside. Those kind have poor soles that I'm sure the At would eat in less than a day.

Did you look up the Tarahumara runners. I watched a documentary an they seem to run some pretty rugged trails in simple tire sandals. As others have pointed out they won't keep your feet warm. I have seen some designs though that you could wear socks with.
https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product
I read somewhere that someone put 10000 miles on their traditional strap on shoes that they made out of an old tire. They replaced the strings twice.

Cheyou
02-21-2018, 07:03
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/shoes-and-boots/best-sandals

might b some help

thom

DaytonaHiker
02-21-2018, 07:34
Over the years I had to convert from minimalist trail runners to sandals for ultrarunning. I have bunions and extra wide shoes are not enough, even Altras, which caused my move to sandals. I've used custom cut Lunas with great success, but they no longer custom cut their footbed. Since I run in sandals I also hike in sandals. Over the last 12 months I've tried many brands and styles with several day trips. I've decided for my 2018 thru to use Chicos. Since going to sandals I no longer have blisters or lose toenails which I did on many of my 100 mile races. I just keep in mind that the original pupose of the shoe was to protect the bottom of the foot. That is what a sandal does without all the extra stuff that I just don't need.

Leo L.
02-21-2018, 07:49
I have done some hiking in sandals, but skipped that for various reasons.
My experiences went so far, as to avoid sandals that have an elevated rim around the footbed, because those tend to catch small stones and other debris and not let it go anytime easy.
Using sandals that have a flat edge around the footbed you have a chance to get rid of the unwanted stuff by just tilting the foot close to vertical and flex the foot a bit.

But then, during my last desert hike I hiked and scrambled for weeks with a tough guy wearing sandals all the time, and he explained me that it took him quite a time to develope a trick how to get rid of the sand and debris right during walking, he stepped with the tip of one foot onto the heel of the other foots sandal, thus provking a loud "flopp" and catapulting the debris away.
He said, his sandals would last way longer than any shoes he ever tried. OK, I repaired his sandals, and have to add, sandals are way easier to field-repair than shoes.

devoidapop
02-21-2018, 07:50
I think another thing to consider if you're going to thru hike in sandals is when you're starting and the potential for ice. Unless you have a traction device that works with them or are pretty surefooted on ice, you could really get slowed down.

Knee Jerk
02-23-2018, 12:40
Yup.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)

Oh man, I LOVE this. I grew up on the Jersey Shore and we used to call visitors "Benny's" all the time. Now I know why!

But, to stay on topic. Sandals? I don't even own a pair of sandals, or flip-flops or even boat shoes. I like to protect my feet so I wear trail runners or hiking shoes and crank my laces down as tight as they will go. (I hate my feet slipping around.)

On the other hand, I live in upstate New York and the OP lives in sunny Florida. So there ya go.

But sandals in the woods? Man, that's just asking for trouble.

rocketsocks
02-23-2018, 14:30
Yup.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)never knew the origins, very interesting, thanks DW.

rocketsocks
02-23-2018, 14:36
I love socks and sandals, very comfortable, but I wouldn’t hike like that, everything out there wants to stick, poke, impale or slice your toes as you shuffle along.

F seaside, way to many “come at me bro” douche bags.

Knee Jerk
02-23-2018, 15:12
F seaside, way to many “come at me bro” douche bags.

Yeah, you got that right!

Dogwood
02-23-2018, 16:00
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/shoes-and-boots/best-sandals

might b some help

thom

Yes that was a lot of help. Wasn't aware of that OGL well written piece.

Hippie dust
02-23-2018, 16:55
Bedrock Cairn & Xero Cloud

JC13
02-23-2018, 17:02
Check out Hike&Tell on YouTube. Sandals wore sandals last year on their thru attempt. They are trying for Katahdin again this year and he may be willing to discuss use of sandals on the AT with you.

I believe he wore Luna sandals.

Dogwood
02-23-2018, 18:02
I liked hiking in WP socks and Teva Terra Fi's in warm weather downpours that lasted several days on GSMNP AT section hikes and through most of ME on an AT NOBO.
In hindsight wish I had used the same sandal in VA. It's a joy hiking in warm rain in sandals on flattish non rockish single track when so many other thrus were contending with wet shoes and blistered feet from hiking in them when wet.

On one wet warmis mixed weather early fall BMT thru WP socks and the same Terra Fi's worked well.

Tried using Keen H2's on an early starting PCT LASH NOBO highly regretting it going over an iced over Baden Powell and through a snowpacked Sierras. It was a bone headed mistake from my experience.

On a recent July Oregon Coastal Tr SOBO Thru gave serious thought to hiking in Chacon or Teva Hurricane XLT's. Could have done that no problem but the Altra worked out fine.

On several other hikes of abrasive rocky nature including some of the AT open sandals such as the Terra Fi's cut my hikes short because of damaged feet from trying to use sandals - bloody stubbed toes, ripped out toenail, incaoaciyaing blisters between toes and around the he'll strap, a twisted ankle from loss of traction directly related to the sandal's traction, etc. FWIW, from a very young age I've had very deliberate foot placement awareness. I spent much time in flip flops and sandals during summer in my youth.

Additionally, because I stubbornly and ignorantly used a glorified flip flop thong between the toes sandal on one anticipated 5 day summer AT PA backpacking hike it had to be cut short because the soles of my feet became unbearably bruised while also bruising my ankle bone.

Dogwood
02-23-2018, 18:11
These experiences taught me to match a sandal, if that was going to be my footwear choice, to the hike. Making generalized statements about what is or is not a good hiking sandal without noting such details is problematic.

I was trying to avoid others having similar mishaps learning from my ignorance and stubborness. This is why I've said what I've said.

I already write so much on sites like these so was hoping these considerations would be gleaned without feeling a need to write another long post.

Happy sandal hiking.:)

Hippie dust
02-23-2018, 19:10
Sorry to mislead in my previous post, I run trails in Vibrams, Bedrocks, and Xero clouds, I hike in Vibrams and Brooks Cascadias. Sorry

blw2
02-24-2018, 08:04
Check out Hike&Tell on YouTube. Sandals wore sandals last year on their thru attempt. They are trying for Katahdin again this year and he may be willing to discuss use of sandals on the AT with you.

I believe he wore Luna sandals.

Thanks for the point out. Looks like they are attempting again this year so I subscribed. I screened a couple of he videos and quickly glanced through some of the vid comments from their old posts.... My observation was that their packs might have been a bit on the heavy side for sandals. I see in the comments that she switched to shoes during the hike because of shin splint problems if I understood my quick read...and he's on the fence about sandals this time.

Seems to me that the need for more substantial shoe/boot is directly related pack weight as well as terrain/conditions.

Cheyou
02-24-2018, 08:48
Teva xlt don’t dry well for me . They are shaped like a plate

Dogwood
02-24-2018, 09:20
Thanks for the point out. Looks like they are attempting again this year so I subscribed. I screened a couple of he videos and quickly glanced through some of the vid comments from their old posts.... My observation was that their packs might have been a bit on the heavy side for sandals. I see in the comments that she switched to shoes during the hike because of shin splint problems if I understood my quick read...and he's on the fence about sandals this time.

Seems to me that the need for more substantial shoe/boot is directly related pack weight as well as terrain/conditions.

There we go. This is what I've been trying to relay all along.

Cheyou
02-24-2018, 09:42

Is it heavy pack weight or fat weight for some ? ;0)

blw2
02-24-2018, 10:26
great discussion, thanks to all. Seems like not a lot of folks here using the Luna and Bedrock types

Well I guess I didn't make my OP clear enough.
I was looking for input into the different styles and brands of sandals by those that use them, which I would think automatically means by people that are using them in a proper context...
You weren't thinking that I was intending to head out with a 50 pound pack across this, were you?
image found here http://lynx-travel.com/lynx-travel.com/vacations/rci%20gos%20nov06/GCM%20Nov29/GCMNov29%20Index.htm, of a place called Hell, on Grand Cayman

Cheyou
02-24-2018, 11:24
These experiences taught me to match a sandal, if that was going to be my footwear choice, to the hike. Making generalized statements about what is or is not a good hiking sandal without noting such details is problematic.

I was trying to avoid others having similar mishaps learning from my ignorance and stubborness. This is why I've said what I've said.

I already write so much on sites like these so was hoping these considerations would be gleaned without feeling a need to write another long post.

Happy sandal hiking.:)

Im surprised you haven’t drowned in your own BS

Thom

Dogwood
02-24-2018, 13:13

..Seems to me that the need for more substantial shoe/boot( or sandal) is directly related pack weight as well as terrain/conditions

Part of what Blw said is being ignored...not by me though.

Dogwood
02-24-2018, 13:25

Im surprised you haven’t drowned in your own BS

Thom

Why does that matter where the wt is Thom
...in body wt or kit wt in regards to what is being discussed? No where on this thread I've intentionally been snarky or condescending. I've responded with civility and respect. Yet, that is what I'm receiving.

Here this Thom! I spend much more time considering deeply in context of what's being asked or espoused before ever formulating my own opinion or posting. Its called listening to others.Therefore, it's fairer to state if I'm drowning in BS in the deep end of the pool it comes from others.

Dogwood
02-24-2018, 14:02
"Well I guess I didn't make my OP clear enough.
I was looking for input into the different styles and brands of sandals by those that use them,..."

You've made that clear Blw...twice.

"...which I would think automatically means by people that are using them in a proper context..."

Lollollol. That's an assumption I'm not willing to make. It's evidenced by people having a wide range of foot or other issues resulting from and exacerbated by inappropriate footwear choices for their hikes and situations. If you read my posts it's clear I'm not dissing on hiking in sandals.

Treat you sandal choices just as treating any other footwear choices, with a wide range of individually appropriate factors.

Hey, we're talking hiking here. We're not talking going barefoot. We can be spending half a day or more in footwear. It's my illusion we better get our footwear choices dialed. We have that same goal Blw.

devoidapop
02-24-2018, 14:50
As someone who has struggled over the last few years to find the right footwear, I appreciate these threads and the people who offer honest opinions and advice. I have my 3 options currently; Sorel leather boot, merrell trail glove, and my Tevas. they all have pros and cons. I only get out for weekend or 1 week trips, so it's easy for me to pick the right gear for my hikes. I'm sure it gets much tougher and more important when you're planning a LD hike.

If you live in the Southeast, get off WB and take a hike! Spring has sprung!

CrumbSnatcher
02-24-2018, 19:31
my waterproof socks kept my feet dryer than most hikers in trail runners snow or rain
had great traction in the snow with the vibram soles on the chaco's
external frame pack
biggest mileage days in sandals 55 miles in PA. 40 miles in VT. multiple 30's and 26 over the presidential range
sandels do work for some
those days are long gone, if i make it out to the C.T. this year or any future A.T. hikes i will be in trail runners

blw2
03-17-2018, 17:20
OP here....not that anyone probably cares, but I ended up getting some Bedrock Cairn Pro 3d. The had a sale running when they first released this new model at the beginning of the month.... I haven't worn them a lot yet, but i think I'm going to like them. I don't know yet if I'll use them as a primary backpacking shoe, but hiking for sure.

I was mostly on the fence about the strap over the toes versus between.... I like the flip flop style but figured for a camping shoe there might be times socks would be good. Well, after many of the comments here, and a lot of other reading I figured the thong style would probably be more stable on the foot for hiking, and the strap over the foot might be more restrictive to natural foot 'spread'

Cheyou
03-17-2018, 18:19
OP here....not that anyone probably cares, but I ended up getting some Bedrock Cairn Pro 3d. The had a sale running when they first released this new model at the beginning of the month.... I haven't worn them a lot yet, but i think I'm going to like them. I don't know yet if I'll use them as a primary backpacking shoe, but hiking for sure.

I was mostly on the fence about the strap over the toes versus between.... I like the flip flop style but figured for a camping shoe there might be times socks would be good. Well, after many of the comments here, and a lot of other reading I figured the thong style would probably be more stable on the foot for hiking, and the strap over the foot might be more restrictive to natural foot 'spread'
I use regular socks with my bedrocks all the time.

gracebowen
03-18-2018, 00:23
Thanks for the update. I wear socks with sandals in the winter.

MuddyWaters
03-18-2018, 01:14
;)I wear sock wih sandals for extended water/sand/gravel. Basically hiking in flowing streams. A shake of foot washes the sand and pebbles away. Theres frequent small pebbles undefoot, but never need to stop and remove shoes, etc

Without socks the sand will rub you raw in a few miles.

MoeTCrow
03-19-2018, 16:33
I'll add this, as I've mentioned before I've "day hiked" quite a bit in my flip flops. The only problems I've really had there have been on hills because my foot isn't firmly attached and want to slide out ...
that's one of the advantages of sandals vs. flip flops. The heal strap keeps your feet in them. you can also quickly adjust them to be tighter or looser depending on the terrain, how your foot feels, etc. just like laces on the trail runners. I've done all sorts of terrain in mine, everything from flat ground to rock scrambling to those "baby-head" stone trails that you don't see anything resembling a flat surface for miles. yes, a stick can get you if you are careless, but it doesn't happen all that often. otherwise they are about the same as trail runners but with better breathability...

blw2
11-11-2018, 21:49
Got this link in an email "newsletter" I received from Bedrock Sandals.
thought of this thread....and other folks that might have questions similar to what I had....
https://bedrocksandals.com/blogs/adventure-sandal/hiking-the-appalachian-trail-in-sandals-an-interview-with-bedrocker-elliot-shaefer?mc_cid=3bcf1a9ac0&mc_eid=b75253594e

greensleep
11-13-2018, 10:39
check out "Evan hikes", he finished a thru hike of the AT this past September or August. Hiked the entire trail in sandals.

blw2
11-13-2018, 22:54
I was a big fan of Evan's. Sad that he has said he has no plans to post any more hiking vids. I found his youtube channel while learning about the BMT, and have watched most all of what he's posted.

his youtube channel name
Evan's Backpacking Videos

steady123
11-14-2018, 16:07
Tried Chacos for a week on the Appalachian Trail. In the summer. When the straps are pulled down tight, they were fine for several hours. I began to get hot spots on the sole of my feet. I wore toe socks and smart wool socks over them. When I got them wet, my feet cooled off and everything was fine. I had to rewet them. In Virginia walking over the large rocks, I began to feel the terrain. At that point I put on my boots and everthing was fine. Frankly Brooks Cascadia with the reinforced foot sole have been fantastic (as long as you do not twist your ankle). If you are young and fit, my advice is to wear trail runners with a reinforced sole.

ShaneP
11-15-2018, 23:34
i hiked from Dickey's gap to Damascus in crocs. They were my camp shoes. I was having terrible pain on the sides of my ankles(that I didn't know at the time was the onset of a pretty severe case of RMSF) and just couldn't wear my boots. It was crocs or barefoot. It wasn't that bad and was at times really liberating. It also really sold me on the value of ultralight footwear for fatigue

K-dub
11-16-2018, 13:49
I hiked the Camino in Tevas... the Terra Fi 4s "all-terrain sandals" to be exact.

These were awesome for on-road, off-road, dry, wet, and snowy conditions. I always wore socks (Injinjis or Darn Toughs) and when the weather was wet and/or snowy I layered Sealskinz socks over them. Never had cold or wet feet. YMMV.

Time Zone
11-16-2018, 14:27
Does hiking in sandals reduce the chance of getting athlete's foot fungus? I would think it would, but am curious if people who've actually tried it have found it to be that way.

English Stu
11-29-2018, 08:25
I do carry some Teva sandals as camp shoes and as an alternative walk in if necessary. Not had to do it yet. I wear a trail shoe. The great danger is a foot injury on a rock or similar- something you would be ok with in a trail shoe or boot. A hike buddy of mine walked a great deal of the JMT in Tevas without a problem only to have a real injury by toe-ending a fire hydrant in Lone Pine. I would say that with a couple of toe stubs, slips a day the risk of some sort of cut or minor injury is inevitable. Having said that I think the Barefoot Sisters just say you are just have to be more careful where you put your feet.

GankenBerry
12-06-2018, 17:59
i hike in sandals as a way to air out my feet and change up the wear pattern i get with my shoes. it helps to mix it up. for me at least. i use xero shoes Z-trail sandals. they're great.

Signpost
12-07-2018, 03:40
i hike in sandals as a way to air out my feet and change up the wear pattern i get with my shoes. it helps to mix it up. for me at least. i use xero shoes Z-trail sandals. they're great.

Glad to hear you like your Xeros. I just ordered a pair of the Xero Cloud. I'm curious to see how they are to hike in.

GolfHiker
12-08-2018, 16:18
In this day & age, it’s not really a big deal to see sandals on the AT. When the minimalist designs happened, all traditional bets were off. For this thread, I expected to read all about Chacos, Teva’s, Keens, and maybe about Crocs. Of course those were all mentioned. And with today’s quality, I’m sure you can do nicely in most models. This past summer I saw a young man ( thru hiker, I believe) hiking along in sandals which caught my eye. They were identical to the ones I wore in college. Ever heard of the Water Buffalo sandal? Very cool looking, a flat leather bottom with a mid strap, and one toe loop. Not one ounce of cushion or protection. I laughed to myself, since I’ve not worn mine since 1972. I believe that was the same year as the Earth Shoe. The kid might have made it. I would have stubbed all toes on the first day.

I just checked, you can still get a Water Buffalo “hippie style” sandal on line. Maybe they’ll make a comeback!