PDA

View Full Version : disappearing threads

KirkMcquest
02-11-2006, 11:47
Anyone notice threads just disappearing into thin air with no explanation?

How about a warning before you eliminate a thread we are all enjoying. The religion thread is gone, it doesn't even show up on a search. Anyone else find this annoying/manipulative?:confused:

neo
02-11-2006, 11:53

How about a warning before you eliminate a thread we are all enjoying. The religion thread is gone, it doesn't even show up on a search. Anyone else find this annoying/manipulative?:confused:

its called dropping acid man,are hallucinating man:cool: neo

Frosty
02-11-2006, 12:07

How about a warning before you eliminate a thread we are all enjoying. The religion thread is gone, it doesn't even show up on a search. Anyone else find this annoying/manipulative?:confused:I found the threads existence annoying, but I got over it. Didnt even notice (or care) that it was gone.

A quick check of the dictionary for the meaning of manipulative, and the WHITEBLAZE Statementof Purpose, shows that "manipulative" does not apply in this situation, but I see your point. If I were you, I'd leave in a huff and start a competing website. No one here would blame you.

For me, this is far and away the most successful and useful hiking site on the internet. The way the moderators handle this site is the model which other sites can use to improve themselves.

Every so often someone accuses the moderators of being heavy handed, as you have, but I have never found this to be true.

I love this site.

general
02-11-2006, 12:10
sensitive subjects forum, it's on the bottom of the forum list.

neo
02-11-2006, 12:13
I found the threads existence annoying, but I got over it. Didnt even notice (or care) that it was gone.

A quick check of the dictionary for the meaning of manipulative, and the WHITEBLAZE Statementof Purpose, shows that "manipulative" does not apply in this situation, but I see your point. If I were you, I'd leave in a huff and start a competing website. No one here would blame you.

For me, this is far and away the most successful and useful hiking site on the internet. The way the moderators handle this site is the model which other sites can use to improve themselves.

Every so often someone accuses the moderators of being heavy handed, as you have, but I have never found this to be true.

I love this site.

i love this site,its excellent:cool: neo

weary
02-11-2006, 12:15

I just clicked on "Today's POsts." REligion was there. The last message was today at 10:34 a.m.

It seemed like an interesting and friendly thread. I hope it isn't gone, though it was eating time that I should have been devoting to getting out the March-April edition of the Maine Chapter, AMC, newsletter.

Weary

Roland
02-11-2006, 12:15
Is this the thread you're looking for: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12735

It wasn't deleted. It was relocated to a more appropriate forum (General Non-AT). You can subscribe to this group by going to User CP.

I agree with the administrator's decision to move controversial, non-Trail related threads to a deeper layer within WhiteBlaze. The bickering often contained in these threads does nothing to improve the public image of the WhiteBlaze trail community.

Edit: I just realized that the link I posted will not work unless one has already joined this group. You can do that under Memberships, in User CP.

MOWGLI
02-11-2006, 12:17
Maybe this one could be made to "disappear" too?!

ed bell
02-11-2006, 12:24
Maybe this one could be made to "disappear" too?!

I second that request. Moderators have always been helpful answering questions and such. No reason to take it to the forums before asking the moderators.:sun

weary
02-11-2006, 12:50
Is this the thread you're looking for: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12735
....I agree with the administrator's decision to move controversial, non-Trail related threads to a deeper layer within WhiteBlaze. The bickering often contained in these threads does nothing to improve the public image of the WhiteBlaze trail community.
Edit: I just realized that the link I posted will not work unless one has already joined this group. You can do that under Memberships, in User CP.
Actually, many of the "religion" posts were trail related in that they cited the trail as a source of spiritual feelings, whether associated with organized religion or not.

Weary

Roland
02-11-2006, 12:57
Actually, many of the "religion" posts were trail related in that they cited the trail as a source of spiritual feelings, whether associated with organized religion or not.

Weary
I won't disagree with you Weary, as I haven't read that particular thread. My intention was to answer the poster's question and direct him to the forum where religion and political topics are filed. Generally speaking, these topics tend to be controversial.

Skyline
02-11-2006, 13:00
I don't think attroll deletes very much here, but I have noticed things get moved around.

A thread I'd been following and participating in 2 or 3 weeks ago about gays on the Trail--a very civil discussion for the most part--was moved to something called the "Thick Skinned" forum (for sensitive topics). It is restricted in the sense that you have to sign up to participate. As it was not X-rated or anything I'm not sure the mere presence of the subject of homosexuality qualifies as a sensitive topic in 2006, but I respect the moderators right to make the decision. Anyway, I had originally thought this thread had been zapped when it had simply been moved.

I suspect topics like "religion" might get re-classified as well--but maybe not to a restricted forum.

dixicritter
02-11-2006, 13:08
I moved the thread to the General-Non-AT topics forum. Did not realize that is was one of the forums that has to be subscribed to at the time. Sorry for that but the topic wasn't AT related specifically so I moved it to the appropriate forum thinking that everyone would still be able to see it and participate.

Seems to me like you aren't happy with anything done here, Kirk. No one is out to get you so drop the paranoid act Please. sheesh.

dixicritter
02-11-2006, 13:09

Weary

The original post mentioned nothing about the AT only spirituality and religion. That's why it was moved. Should have been moved from day one, but I've been a little busy lately. :)

attroll
02-11-2006, 13:30
I can not remember if I moved the thread or Dixicritter did, because I have moved a couple in the last couple of days and don't know if that was one of them.

The reason for having the other ascribable forums is so that users can post things that are not AT related. We wanted to keep WhiteBlaze as much as possible a Appalachian Trail related site. We also realized that users wanted to post and discuss other topics. In the interest of those users we created the Non AT-forums. This way if you wanted to see them you had to subscribe to them. So for most of us that wanted to keep this a AT web site we don't have to see those other forums unless we chose to. As for how we moderate those forums. I would like to say I could care less what goes on in those forums. But to be honest we have to keep them clean and some what user friendly. We are not an adult web site. If you want adult content then go to an adult site. We can not have the forums completely uncensored. We have to have some type of censorship. I would like to completely remove those other forums all together. But if we did that then we would have users trying to post politics and other non AT related threads in the main forums.

So if the thread is not AT related and you want to post non AT related post then join the Non AT forums. If we find threads that are not AT related we will move them there. If you you don't want to have anything to do with those other forums then don't subscribe to them.

longshank
02-11-2006, 13:39
How about the original "mcQuest and shanks in '07" thread? Was that not AT/hiking related enough?

neo
02-11-2006, 13:41
How about the original "mcQuest and shanks in '07" thread? Was that not AT/hiking related enough?

you 2 guys been brown blazin to much:cool: neo

Nean
02-11-2006, 13:41
Not long after I discovered WB I was having a typical bus driver discussion w/ Wook and our post (not the thread) "disappeared". Later I learned they were reloed and it was my ignorance that kept me from finding them.:rolleyes: Yes it would of been nice to have that pointed out. Seems like much more is being deleted now that SGT Rock is away. I don't think we are missing anything w/ what little censorship there has been. Sometimes it not what you say but how you say it that makes the difference. Bottom line: I enjoy WB and think the folks who run it are doing a GREAT job.... many mahalos:sun

Sly
02-11-2006, 18:19
I would like to completely remove those other forums all together. But if we did that then we would have users trying to post politics and other non AT related threads in the main forums.

Good thinking! Maybe you can add a non-specific AT Troll forum. ;)

mweinstone
02-11-2006, 18:31
this site is like crack.its addictive and goes down smooth. mmmmmmmm................crack.

longshank
02-11-2006, 19:47
No one has answered my question.....

longshank
02-11-2006, 19:51
and honestly, the religion thread and the bible thread were both AT/hiking related....If you're going to remove threads, do it because the initial thread was off-base, not because peoples responses took it in that direction. Clearly it was popular, as so many were responding. Why put it in an obscure corner of the site just because the conversation took turns in new directions....

dixicritter
02-11-2006, 21:39
As has been mentioned in this thread by others, it would be really nice if you have any questions for the admin if you could utilize the private message function of the site to gain your answers. However, that doesn't seem to be the way some prefer to operate which is ok too.

Kirk and Longshank, the two of you seem intent on "calling out" Attroll and myself for whatever reasons you feel like at the time of posting instead of coming to either of us and asking your questions. Then you wonder why other posters "attack" you. It really seems quite obvious to me that this is a game of cat and mouse that the two of you wish to play on the members and administrators of this site and honestly, it's really getting old. I personally outgrew such games after elementary school.

If you wish to discuss hiking that's fine... please do so. I hope you both enjoy your thru-hike in 2007, and I wish you both the best of luck. However, if your intent is to continue to cause discord on this site you will be placed in a special user's group where each and every post you desire to make will be moderated. Oh and any new user ID's you'd come up with there after would be treated the same.

Now, I don't have the time, nor the desire to have to babysit grown men on this site, so please can we get back to the truce. No more bickering, name calling, sexual innuendo, or discussions about illegal substances Please. I look forward to your co-operation and continued participation on the hiking subjects that most everyone is here to discuss rationally.

Thank you and Hike on! :)

Pacific Tortuga
02-12-2006, 17:13
Deleted by JimSproul for:
Wrong thread
Wrong forum

Pacific Tortuga
02-12-2006, 17:17
Deleted by JimSproul for:
Wrong thread
Wrong forum

Off topic for Straight Forward Forum

Is he allowed to do this because he's a 'donating mamber'? Probably none of my Bert's Wax.

attroll
02-12-2006, 19:18
Off topic for Straight Forward Forum

Is he allowed to do this because he's a 'donating mamber'? Probably none of my Bert's Wax.

What was the thread about and what did you say in the thread in response?