PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of branching out beyond section hikes.

Ethesis
02-20-2018, 14:36
We started section hiking once or twice a year a while back.

As as I get closer to retirement my wife more and more wants to do a through hike together.

She initially was suggesting it but not comfortable with timing.

But now she is really interested in a 2019 start rather than 2020 if things pull together.

She likes people and wants to start around March 15 or so to be in the bubble and in warmer weather than the Feb start she originally wanted or the flip flop approach.

It has been interesting to watch, but when she bought two feathered friends bags it hit me she was serious.

On the good side we can afford it. We can hike together and won’t need shelter space.

But it it is interesting to see her start to focus in on doing a through hike.

As for the timing it means I won’t need to give notice at work until after I get my yearly bonus — an earlier start wouldn’t have let me do that. Given it is generally $20k that was significant to me.

I am just rambling but would love feedback from older hikers or people who did a through hike with a spouse as to anything that is different from the normal experience.

Finances are good. We plan to hit a hostel or hotel regularly.

Gear is good. Amazon prime for additional resupply beyond the normal.

We have a week break in June we would have to take. (I have a presentation I need to make).

Kids are out of the house and doing well.

anyway. Looking forward to advice and thoughts.

Ethesis
02-20-2018, 14:38
Luckily neither of us needs medications.

Burrhead
02-20-2018, 15:01
Go for it. If your having a bad time just tough it out until the June break then spend a couple of days at a resort/spa and plan the next adventure.

saltysack
02-20-2018, 15:28
What’s the hold up......go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shot
02-20-2018, 15:30
I enjoy hiking with my spouse. The longest trip we have taken together was 6 weeks.if you have done section hikes you already have figured some of the issues out. The only complaint my wife has is we walk a bit too spread out for her liking although I am never let myself get more than 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead. Her pace is slower than mine and I tell her that it is just as hard for me to slow down as it is for her to speed up. She is "directionally challenged" and has a bit of fear of getting lost so I do wait for her at every trail intersection. And I mean every, no matter how apparent the direction to take might appear to be. The AT is actually the easiest trail we hike as far as blazes/signage/etc. so she enjoys that aspect more than some of the other places we go.

I really like the camping aspect of things when hiking together...it's a lot easier to split chores. I always stop a bit before dusk when I hike. I cook and get water, she sets up the tent and gets out the bags and pads. So there is generally more "down time" in camp than when hiking solo and tending to all these things alone. That makes things feel a bit more relaxed imo. We have discussed possibly doing a thru together upon retirement but I really don't know how serious is about it.

pettas
02-20-2018, 15:45
Probably fixating on the wrong thing but your bonus is only $9,000 less than the average income for a family of four in the county I live in. That being said, I'd say collect it and head out.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

colorado_rob
02-20-2018, 16:48
I enjoy hiking with my spouse. The longest trip we have taken together was 6 weeks.if you have done section hikes you already have figured some of the issues out. The only complaint my wife has is we walk a bit too spread out for her liking although I am never let myself get more than 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead. Her pace is slower than mine and I tell her that it is just as hard for me to slow down as it is for her to speed up. She is "directionally challenged" and has a bit of fear of getting lost so I do wait for her at every trail intersection. And I mean every, no matter how apparent the direction to take might appear to be. The AT is actually the easiest trail we hike as far as blazes/signage/etc. so she enjoys that aspect more than some of the other places we go.

I really like the camping aspect of things when hiking together...it's a lot easier to split chores. I always stop a bit before dusk when I hike. I cook and get water, she sets up the tent and gets out the bags and pads. So there is generally more "down time" in camp than when hiking solo and tending to all these things alone. That makes things feel a bit more relaxed imo. We have discussed possibly doing a thru together upon retirement but I really don't know how serious is about it. Yeah, all of this EXCEPT it's my wife that is faster and I try not to walk more than 1/4-1/2 miles behind her! My wife and I love our time on the trail together, we do 3-4 three+ week hikes together every year, and might try an actual PCT thru next year. And we're your same age, Ethesis, and this is zero issue.

Elaikases
02-20-2018, 21:15
Yeah, all of this EXCEPT it's my wife that is faster and I try not to walk more than 1/4-1/2 miles behind her! My wife and I love our time on the trail together, we do 3-4 three+ week hikes together every year, and might try an actual PCT thru next year. And we're your same age, Ethesis, and this is zero issue.

That is good to know for all older hikers.

kestral
02-20-2018, 21:34
20k is a lot of money, consider a later start, meet up bubble around Shenandoah, hike to katadin, go back and complete southern third with fall colors.

I would consider this, but hey , it’s your hike! Enjoy!

bigcranky
02-20-2018, 21:55
My wife and I thoroughly enjoy hiking together. Our longest hike so far was the Long Trail, but we've been talking about an AT thru -- probably in 2 long sections, in two summers after she retires. Not that long now, probably 4 more years. We usually get a week on the trail each year, plus some long weekends. Like Colorado Rob, my wife is faster than I am, so she takes the lead on the trail. It works out very well for both of us.

We did a week last year at the end of March, hiking Georgia from Deep Gap southbound. It was great -- good weather (cool during the day, chilly at night, but never too cold), plenty of water in the springs, etc. This was my third time hiking the AT in GA, second time in March. To be honest, I probably won't do that again. I like other people, and I love meeting other hikers and get a lot out of that interaction, but it was really just too crowded. I think if I had to do a one-way thru hike nobo, I'd start closer to mid-April, which still gives me six months to make it to Katahdin. Still plenty of folks on the trail, but not quite as crowded, and also warmer to start.

But given our plans and the time we'll have available, I'd really prefer a flip flop, to start in Harper's Ferry in May and head to Maine, then the following year hike south to GA (of course this can be done in one year too.)

Good luck with the planning and the hike.