PDA

View Full Version : I Was Diagnosed With A Severe Case Of Hiker Gas

wordstew
02-22-2018, 07:58
GEAR AQUISITION SYNDROME

My wife first brought it to my attention... I had to go on a steady gear diet, cleaning out my bloated closet and selling off much of the excess new and almost new equipment for relief from my excessive gas.

Be careful with limited exposure to other hikers and message boards like this you could also contract Hiker Gas

rocketsocks
02-22-2018, 08:19
GEAR AQUISITION SYNDROME

My wife first brought it to my attention... I had to go on a steady gear diet, cleaning out my bloated closet and selling off much of the excess new and almost new equipment for relief from my excessive gas.

Be careful with limited exposure to other hikers and message boards like this you could also contract Hiker Gas
I use TUMS
Toss Unecessary Merchandise

MuddyWaters
02-22-2018, 09:03
My wifestays out of my gear closet, and I stay out of her camera and scrapbooking stuff.

Singto
02-22-2018, 09:17
Nice to see some good natured wit on the board.

Burrhead
02-22-2018, 09:57
Hi! My name is Jason and I am a stoveaholic!

bigcranky
02-22-2018, 10:00
GAS afflicts many people with varying hobbies. Guitar Acquisition Syndrome is a well-known malady (not that I would know anything about that, no sir.) Photographers often suffer from GAS, too; again, my photo gear locker is none of your business. My lovely wife could open a very well-stocked yarn shop with the contents of her stash. (She gets an entire *room* for her yarn stuff; I get a small closet for hiking gear and an even smaller one for camera stuff, though in fairness much of the camera and lighting gear is at my studio.)

All kidding aside, the reason for GAS is simple: we are not buying a product, we are buying the dream that goes with it. A new pack = the dream of a long hike. A new guitar = all the wonderful music I can make with it. More yarn = the beautiful clothing it will become. A new camera = all the photos I will make with it. We don't let reality intrude on these dreams. :)

colorado_rob
02-22-2018, 10:22
Tell me about the GAS thing... gear closet? Nope, gear floor, pretty much the entire finished basement is for gear. And I wont get started about the Guitar thing....

TwoSpirits
02-22-2018, 10:31
Too funny! And too true. I thought I was alone with this malady; I'm glad to know there is a support group here! Maybe there is hope.

(But Colorado_rob's "gear floor" has me drooling...)

rocketsocks
02-22-2018, 10:36
If it gets real bad, I recommend an intervention whereby some close friends relieve you of all that ails. If that doesn’t work you may need a Gearectomy, where a professional slips in through the back door and drags all your stuff out, lays it on a table in the front yard and starts slashing, it’s a real mid-evil procedure though...please don’t let it come to that, stop shopping the sales, today!

dcdennis
02-22-2018, 11:43
buying gear that you dont need and cant necessarily afford is a trait of the best hikers :) BUT IT WAS SUCH A GOOD DEAL HOW COULD I PASS IT UP!

Rain Man
02-22-2018, 11:51
You guys can keep all your gear in one room?!!!!

Maui Rhino
02-22-2018, 13:28
I have GAS so bad that I had to buy an industrial sewing machine, so I could make my own, and ease some of the wallet cramping that comes from having GAS.

Berserker
02-22-2018, 13:32
Tell me about the GAS thing... gear closet? Nope, gear floor, pretty much the entire finished basement is for gear. And I wont get started about the Guitar thing....
Man, that is really nicely organized. I need to go about doing something like that as I have stuff packed into areas in multiple spots in my house.

Dogwood
02-22-2018, 14:50
What you did wrong was letting your wife know the entrance to the gear cave. ;) Use a separate unknown to her acct to pay for the gear. Go paperless. Get a secretive small storage unit/gear cave. Don't let her know about it or she'll start seeking to store candles, that unwrapped bread maker, and crystal she probably hasn't unwrapped from the wedding in it. It's very likely she has her GAS too!

Seriously, one of the things I started doing, umm sometimes still do, was accumulating way too much apparel. With my career I'm able to wear much of the same apparel for work and the outdoors. This eliminated much bulk...making room for that fold up yak and two spare backpacks. ;)

TexasBob
02-22-2018, 18:59
My wifestays out of my gear closet, and I stay out of her camera and scrapbooking stuff.

Sounds like a good marriage.

Deacon
02-22-2018, 19:50
There is an old saying of the ancient Samurai,
Your power is in having your gear, not using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dwcoyote
02-22-2018, 20:00
My gear room is also my gun room. Many years ago my dad taught me a trick about collecting guns without the wife seeing them accumulating and I use it for my backpack gear as well. Right before I got married he told me to buy a bunch of empty gun cases and put anything in them to give them some weight. Then as I buy guns just put them in the gun cases that I already had in the house and it doesn't look like my collection is growing. I actually have a couple extra backpacks that I never will use that I drop my new gear in as soon as I buy it. All my wife sees is the same 5 backpacks that have been sitting their for the longest time. Little does she know the amount of stuff in them is growing like crazy.

devoidapop
02-22-2018, 20:13
I hide my purchased stuff in my diy or "hobo gear" as my wife calls it. she just assumes everything is made from tyvek and duct tape

bigcranky
02-22-2018, 20:51
Right before I got married he told me to buy a bunch of empty gun cases and put anything in them to give them some weight. Then as I buy guns just put them in the gun cases that I already had in the house and it doesn't look like my collection is growing.

Holy cow, I think that would work for guitars, too!

Dogwood
02-22-2018, 21:09
Hide your gear behind all her mounds of unused pocketbooks, shoes, books, and clothing. She'll not know what you have.

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2018, 21:26
You know you've been acquiring gear for too long when you find old Morsan receipts and Campmor catalogs in the bottom of gear boxes. Perhaps I can convince her some of this stuff isn't gear any longer - it's collectible antiques.

wordstew
02-23-2018, 13:09
I think we need to all pitch in and rent a couple regional warehouses to store our stuff.

chknfngrs
02-23-2018, 17:56

That’s really splicky!! Now I’ve got a bad case of GAS envy ?!?!