PDA

View Full Version : Monson to Bangor-Airport

Quicksilver
02-11-2006, 14:14
Any suggestions for a shuttle, bus or other transportation from Monson to Bangor Airport? Doin' some early planning for a late summer section hike from Gorham-Monson.

It's amazing-sad-exciting-exhilerating to think that I'm almost finished with the AT after so many section hikes. The next hike,Monson to Katahdin, is not quite on the radar screen but heck, when I was at NOC I didn't have a clue that I'd ever see Gorham.

mdionne
02-11-2006, 14:34
there may be a shuttle from greenfield to bangor but it's probably pretty costly.:rolleyes: if you hike another 100 miles you'll probably start running into families looking for thru hikers and they'll take you for free!:D

TJ aka Teej
02-11-2006, 22:21
Any suggestions for a shuttle, bus or other transportation from Monson to Bangor Airport? Doin' some early planning for a late summer section hike from Gorham-Monson.

Welcome Quicksilver,
The AT situation in Monson is still up in the air. Details will known before you're ready to leave for Gorham.

Downunda
02-12-2006, 05:37
I got a lift from Monson to Medford (don't know if a bus runs there but a cab wouldn't cost too much), then from Medford (a gas station/diner) I got the bus to Bangor Airport. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't expensive.

Downunda
02-12-2006, 05:41
I got a lift from Monson to Medford (don't know if a bus runs there but a cab wouldn't cost too much), then from Medford (a gas station/diner) I got the bus to Bangor Airport. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't expensive..

Sorry folks... what am I thinking I must bve having a "bad hair day" or a seniors moment. It was Millenocket to Bangor I traveled.

TJ aka Teej
02-12-2006, 09:54
You were pretty close, Downunda! Medford = Medway, the little town east of Millinocket near the highway, where the bus stop is :D

Kerosene
02-12-2006, 10:16
And isn't it amazing, Quicksilver, that after all these years you are constantly preparing for that next section hike many months before you actually take off?

Have you thought about what you will do to replace your annual section hikes once you finish? I'll be done in about 7 years and I'm already starting to map out other trails I'd like to hike in my retirement.

Quicksilver
02-12-2006, 11:04
there may be a shuttle from greenfield to bangor but it's probably pretty costly.:rolleyes: if you hike another 100 miles you'll probably start running into families looking for thru hikers and they'll take you for free!:D

At this point my hiking partner are a little like the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, i.e. 'we're a little older and a have more insurance'. As much money as we've already spent on section hiking a few dollars more wont't be noticed.

I'd be pleased to learn of whomever in Greenfield.

Quicksilver
02-12-2006, 11:20
And isn't it amazing, Quicksilver, that after all these years you are constantly preparing for that next section hike many months before you actually take off?

Have you thought about what you will do to replace your annual section hikes once you finish? I'll be done in about 7 years and I'm already starting to map out other trails I'd like to hike in my retirement.

My hiking partner and I started the AT seriously when our kids were in Boy Scouts. That was in '96. With family to nurture and businesses to run, the only way we could see doin' the Trail was section hiking. It has been a challenge but I can't even to describe how rewarding it has been.

During the off season we work out pretty hard and take as many hikes as we can in and around the mountains of NC. We do this in order to at least try to keep up with some of the thru hikers. A lot of the younger hikers leave us in their dust but just like old mules, we finally arrive and pull into the same shelters albeit a little later. We bust our humps not to impress but to 1) put in the miles required to catch the plane back home on a specic day and 2) try to gain some idea and feeling of trail "community" and well getting to know some wonderful people.

Last summer we hiked through the Whites. Got hammered by Katrina while going over Madison and met some great people along the way.

After the AT??? I don't know. Probably, hop on my motorcycle and tour the country. Maybe thru hike. I certainly can't and will not stay still.

Best of luck in you hikes. Stay safe.

Quicksilver
02-12-2006, 11:23
Welcome Quicksilver,
The AT situation in Monson is still up in the air. Details will known before you're ready to leave for Gorham.

I've been picking up tidbits here and there and as someone else has observed, "it looks like a good year to skip Monson". Unfortunatley we can't.

:confused: