PDA

View Full Version : Week-Long Section, Virginia or north

DuneElliot
02-25-2018, 14:28
I live out west. I have never set foot on a trail east of Colorado.

I am moving back to the UK in October and am driving from Wyoming, through Canada and down through the NE. With this in mind, and probably some extra time to kill, I'd like to do a few days to a week on the AT, just to know I have hiked part of it.

I will be coming through the NE mid September and can do any section north of Virginia. I have two very trail-savvy dogs so I know state and national parks are out.

Which section would you recommend that is least likely to see rain (I know, I know, it's the AT) and would be easiest on the dogs (and me). I am an experienced hiker and doing parts of the PCT, OST and Wind River Range this summer. I'd prefer not to do an out and back section but know logistics might be tougher for shuttles with dogs. If there is a good 50-60 mile loop that incorporates the AT would be ideal.

ratfaceraines
02-25-2018, 14:38
I shuttle out of the trail town of pearisburg, va., I have some ideas of hikes of hikes that might suit your needs. Feel free to call anytime @540-921-7433. Con

DuneElliot
02-25-2018, 15:03
Since I fly out of Dulles I don't want to go much further south than that, which I guess kinda rules out Virginia really unless there is a really spectacular part of it I shouldn't miss. And I doubt Maine is in the equation as it just a little too far out of the way. Looking at the map, New York or New Hampshire may be my best bet in order to be convenient. So narrowing down my choice a little, the best 50-60 mile sections or loops in those states with easy logistics for a single hiker with dogs.

Coffee
02-25-2018, 17:38
You can hike with dogs in Shenandoah National Park (except for a few trails, off the AT corridor) and I recommend it, if you can find a shuttle that will accept dogs.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/pets.htm

saltysack
02-25-2018, 17:45
Grayson highlands, Mt.Rodgers section is lil father south but well worth the drive......easy shuttle out of Damascus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
02-25-2018, 17:45
Excuse the spelling...Rogers.....

nsherry61
02-25-2018, 18:03
You could put together some lovely loops and/or probably line up someone to shuttle you in the White Mountains of NH. There are a few regulars on these forums that live in or near the Whites and might be able to or know of drivers that would shuttle you and your dogs.

The Whites are not easy in that they are steep and rocky. They don't phase my dog at all, but, they might be tough on a dog with limited trail experience or fear and/or discomfort boulder scrambling. They are beautiful with lots and lots of trails and thus routes to choose from. And, they are about as different from the west as you can get, i.e. stupid steep trails with very little or no effort to smooth out the treadways, while at the same time, the trails all go right over the summits of all the various mountains they go near because the mountains themselves are not particularly rugged, just the trails.

devoidapop
02-25-2018, 18:13
Flying out of Dulles, Harper's Ferry to Front Royal would be as convenient as you're gonna get.

Shrewd
02-26-2018, 11:42
I’d actually suggest maybe jersey and making a big loop out of the Delaware Water Gap.

If set on Va, make a loop out of the Shennies. A lot of trails in there are frankly nicer than the AT and there are a few camp stores/eateries along Skyline drive for a nice hot meal, should you wish.

Nice views; though nothing on the AT aside from maybe the Whites will contend with Colorado’s vistas

DuneElliot
02-26-2018, 12:07
I’d actually suggest maybe jersey and making a big loop out of the Delaware Water Gap.
If set on Va, make a loop out of the Shennies. A lot of trails in there are frankly nicer than the AT and there are a few camp stores/eateries along Skyline drive for a nice hot meal, should you wish.
Nice views; though nothing on the AT aside from maybe the Whites will contend with Colorado’s vistas

I actually have a friend in NJ that I'd like to see so that might work out well...she actually works at the zoo the trail goes by/through. Can you give me a few more specifics on the route?

DuneElliot
02-26-2018, 12:08
Virginia was the southern most point I could potentially go...it was not where I particularly wanted to hike. And NY/NJ would be easier

Shrewd
02-26-2018, 14:14
The zoo is in New York by Bear Mountain

What specifics are you looking for? There’s the AT, then places like the water gap that have many trails. You’ll have to look at the parks the AT goes through for more trails and decide on a route.

Or you could just hike a few days then come back the same way

Gambit McCrae
02-26-2018, 14:32
From recent experience, I highly recommend the Mass thru Jersey section of the trail. One of my favorite trips so far.

DuneElliot
02-26-2018, 20:27
Okay. If I started at Bear Mountain Zoo, or there about and go north or south on the AT, is there a trail that can loop back to the zoo?

I am so unfamiliar with the area.