PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite

Megapixel
02-25-2018, 19:25
This is probably best a question for the manufacturer… But I thought I’d put a feeler out here in the meantime as to what others’ experiences have been. With a pack made like a hyperlite is there a need for a trash compactor bag liner?

egilbe
02-25-2018, 19:39
There are still needle holes in the packbag where seams are sewn together, where the straps are sewn to the packbag. It's cheap insurance.

jefals
02-25-2018, 19:40
Everybody says it's pretty waterproof. I've just seen a video or two where folks were very pleased with how dry their stuff stayed. I've got one of their packs, but no experiece with it in the rain.

Cheyou
02-25-2018, 19:51
https://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-gear-list-for-new-hampshire-and-maine-2017/

he uses a trash compactor bag.

fastfoxengineering
02-25-2018, 21:15
In a dry arid environment I wouldn't be against just stuffing quilt and clothes loosely in the pack. I would keep a compactor bag liner folded and stored somewhere though.

On the east coast. Everything goes in a pack liner all day every day.

You could stuff everything loosely in a pack liner such as a compactor bag. Or you could use dry bags.

No matter what environment, I would definitely have a second line of defense of water protection for my down quilt.

The most waterproof bag I ever had was a cuben pack with taped seams. I then kept everything in a silnylon dry bag at the bottom. I would never worry about my important gear getting wet at that point.

Pack covers are redundant if you use this system. Some also use a poncho or packa that is rain gear as well as covers the pack.

In the end. If you get a hyperlite pack. Grab a trash compactor bag and keep stuff you want to keep dry in it for hiking purposes. If you plan on getting on the water. I would use dry bags, inside a pack liner, inside a hyperlite pack.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

T.S.Kobzol
02-26-2018, 10:52
Mine is probably more than 6 years old now ... I get moisture inside during rain - I would line it with a trash bag if I wanted an insurance ... depending on the trip, I suppose.

SteelCut
02-26-2018, 11:19
I do get a bit of water in mine during extremely heavy rains. It is an older model and I believe that the water comes in somewhere through the bottom area of the pack. I do believe that they modified the design and construction of that area of the pack a couple of years ago ... maybe that fixed the issue. But, I do keep my down bag and spare clothes in some form of plastic bag. It's an easy way to feel better about the keeping key gear dry.

nsherry61
02-26-2018, 11:39
Even if your pack is 100% waterproof, if you're backpacking in the rain, gear gets wet, and unless you will only carry completely dry gear inside your pack and all your wet gear outside your pack (not very functional in most cases), you still need a dry bag of some sort inside your pack to keep your dry gear dry.

CalebJ
02-26-2018, 11:42
Even if your pack is 100% waterproof, if you're backpacking in the rain, gear gets wet, and unless you will only carry completely dry gear inside your pack and all your wet gear outside your pack (not very functional in most cases), you still need a dry bag of some sort inside your pack to keep your dry gear dry.
Agreed. And you don't necessarily need to keep everything dry, but there are critical components like your sleeping bag that should be. In my case, the sleeping bag plus a couple of clothing items go in the compactor bag which is never opened during the day. Everything that's less critical is on top of that. If I need to get into the pack for something during the day, I don't have to worry about rain getting down to the essential pieces while the pack is opened. No matter how waterproof the pack body is, that all changes when the top is opened.

tflaris
02-26-2018, 11:59
I have a 2400,3400 Windrider and it’s stays pretty dry. But that being said I used a trash compactor bag in some instances if something is wet and needs to be stored in my bag (i.e. tent) using a trash compactor bag is a great way to segregate items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
02-26-2018, 15:45
always use liner for important gear.

Water resistant outside is just extra convenience.

Only stuff that needs to stay dry, is insulation and some clothes and sleeping pad really. Everything else can be damp or wet. At least to me.

Get your sleeping pad wet in cool damp weather and you can't wipe it dry well. It will always have moisture on it and that will soak into your sleeping gear.

Leo L.
02-26-2018, 15:56
I use a Lightwave pack which is said to be pretty close to waterproof. I can hike through a day of rain (mostly drizzle with occassional showers) and while the pack outside looks soaked, the inside is just damp with a wet spot here and there. None of the stuff I have inside got seriousely wet.
My wife has a Gregory Stout which is just opposite -works like a sponge in rain.

We both use ponchos which helps a lot to keep the pack less wet, but during (multiple) rainy day(s) you can't help, the pack will get wet eventually.
If I were to hike in a serious rain period I sure would be double safe and use a pack liner.

Shrewd
02-27-2018, 10:05
Yes; the material is waterproof, the bag itself is not.

Use a pack liner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk