PDA

View Full Version : Curious about the water situation from Newfound Gap to I-40. I'll be ...

PcolaDawg
02-26-2018, 10:27
doing that section in mid March. We'll be staying at Pecks Corner shelter the first night and Cosby Knob shelter the second night.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Slo-go'en
02-26-2018, 10:50
Water situation? It will probably be raining. Always is that time of year. Nothing else to say other then that's a nice section and relatively easy.

PcolaDawg
02-26-2018, 10:55
Water situation? It will probably be raining. Always is that time of year. Nothing else to say other then that's a nice section and relatively easy.
I did the first half (Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap) in October and got hit with Tropical Storm Nate after the first day. Hoping to avoid rain for that reason alone. But I'll take whatever comes - still beats the office.

Venchka
02-26-2018, 11:00
Trying to avoid rain? In a rain forest?
Stay dry. Be safe.
Wayne

Analog_Kidd
02-26-2018, 19:52
Here in Knoxville today, I saw the sun for the first time in many days, and that was after raining hard all night and morning. It's been raining for days. You'll have plenty of water

Venchka
02-26-2018, 19:59
Same here. Sunshine in East Texas. First time in days. More rain soon.
Long range forecast for Hot Springs, NC.
https://m.accuweather.com/en/us/hot-springs-nc/28743/extended-weather-forecast/2095859

Wayne

rmitchell
02-26-2018, 21:01
Reliable springs at Ice Water, Peck's Corner, Tri Corner, Guyot, Cosby Knob and possibly one more past Mt. Cammerer.

tawa
02-26-2018, 21:19
You'll have so much water you will be sick of water.
Combine the large rainfall amounts we have had in Feb and the prediction of a wet Spring ------water will not be an issue unless your concerned about swimming across creek crossings.

PcolaDawg
02-27-2018, 14:53
Reliable springs at Ice Water, Peck's Corner, Tri Corner, Guyot, Cosby Knob and possibly one more past Mt. Cammerer.
That was the kind of info I was looking for.

Thanks!

HooKooDooKu
02-27-2018, 21:29
There will be a water source at Davenport Gap shelter after Mt. Cammerer. All the sites listed above are shelters with the exception of Guyot. The AT goes around the Mt Guyot summit, and when you get to a point where you're about due north of the summit, there is a pair of springs flowing down from the summit across the trail. I seem to also recall water seeps below Mt Cammerer as you head towards Davenport gap shelter. Take note that several of the shelter are a short ways off the AT... Some are a short stub trail to the shelter, while others like Peck's are 1/10 mile or more down a side trail.

PcolaDawg
02-28-2018, 10:00
There will be a water source at Davenport Gap shelter after Mt. Cammerer. All the sites listed above are shelters with the exception of Guyot. The AT goes around the Mt Guyot summit, and when you get to a point where you're about due north of the summit, there is a pair of springs flowing down from the summit across the trail. I seem to also recall water seeps below Mt Cammerer as you head towards Davenport gap shelter. Take note that several of the shelter are a short ways off the AT... Some are a short stub trail to the shelter, while others like Peck's are 1/10 mile or more down a side trail.
Good to know.

Thanks.