PDA

View Full Version : Ashby Gap to Manassas Gap

JLorenzo77
02-26-2018, 12:08
Hey group - Wanted your thoughts on which direction to take for this hike. Me and my buddy are doing this 12 mile section on Sunday and I'm a little torn about which direction to go.

chknfngrs
02-26-2018, 12:28
Can’t go wrong with either direction in my book. it’s a fun little section with great parking on either end.

smithjv
03-12-2018, 21:09
Not to hijack this thread, but where is good parking at Ashby Gap? Not readily obvious on Google Map.
Is it close to trailhead; is it safe?

chknfngrs
03-12-2018, 22:08
I referred to The Guthook when day hiking recently. I parked at Liberty Hill Lane, connected to the AT via a 100 yard connector trail.

chknfngrs
03-12-2018, 22:09
.3 miles west of where the trail crosses the highway

RangerZ
03-12-2018, 23:07
I did an overnight out and back south to Dicks Dome / Whiskey Creek shelter this fall. It was a great hike on good trail.

I parked on the north side of the highway at the lot on Blue Ridge Mountain Road. Plenty of space and seemed safe enough.

Plus you get to play Frogger crossing the highway. (Boy I bet that reference dates me)

illabelle
03-13-2018, 05:50
We had to cut short a weekend hike because of illness a couple years ago. Result is we have to go up and finish this same piece from Manassas to Ashby. I guess we're doing it NOBO, mainly because the parking lot at Manassas is bigger and easier to get into. The parking lot at Ashby is kinda narrow and access from the road is a bit awkward - at least that's how I remember it.

chknfngrs
03-13-2018, 07:21
Tucker’s Lane down in Manassas Gap gives you ample parking, but don’t discount parking up at Ashby Gap, either side of the highway is easy to get into and out of and you’re not tied to nobo if you don’t want to be nobo.