PDA

View Full Version : Incident on Springer Mountain yesterday?

JC13
02-26-2018, 19:49
I heard mention on the book of faces that there was an incident on Springer yesterday, anyone have more details? Someone mentioned that someone had passed away but there has been nothing to confirm that. Just curious as we will be up there this weekend for ATKO.

BowGal
02-26-2018, 21:38
If I recall, emergency vehicles tended to a man who died of a heart attack. He wasn’t a hiker, but I think he was a relative of someone starting on Springer

JC13
02-27-2018, 09:16
Appreciate the info!

Seatbelt
02-27-2018, 09:40
http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/583308

These hikers wrote this report.

Gambit McCrae
02-27-2018, 10:12
From the above link^^

"When we arrived at the shelter at 5:00PM it was full, so we pitched our tent on level piece of terrain, filtered cars water and cooked dinner. While eating dinner, another hiker told me the tragic story crating the chaos at the Springer Mountain parking area. The hiker’s family was not able to make it up the steep, muddy Forest Road, so they let him out and he started walking towards Springer. It wasn’t long before a vehicle with a father and his two sons stopped to offer him a ride. One of the sons was to start his A.T. Thru hike. Like us, the hiker started one mile hike up Springer Mtn. Tragically, the father had a massive heart attack just 50 yards from the top and died. I can only imagine the pain that that family is enduring on what should have been a day of elation. Please pray for them"

2NewKnees
02-27-2018, 22:08
That is so sad.

swatsullivan
02-27-2018, 22:44
Terrible. Thoughts with the families and loved ones.

dcdennis
03-01-2018, 13:12
Awful news, but at the same time I must admit my first reaction was "Hope I go the same way."

MuddyWaters
03-01-2018, 13:45
Awful news, but at the same time I must admit my first reaction was "Hope I go the same way."
Well, become the avg 50 yr old American male.
Poor diet, no excercise, 40 lb overweight.
Add smoking too.....and you can increase your chances of going that way quite significantly.

Not a commentary on this individual. I have no knowledge of this. I have however seen people I knew , worked with, kids friends dads suffer similar fates. There was usually common threads.

I have a close friend engaged to a 60 yr old ex football lineman. Guy is huge, about 350 lbs. Makes me a bit sad because odds are the guy dies in a couple years....statistically .

It is sad for all involved. But it's not the first time, and unfortunately likely won't be the last either.

Seatbelt
03-01-2018, 15:35
Well, become the avg 50 yr old American male.
Poor diet, no excercise, 40 lb overweight.
Add smoking too.....and you can increase your chances of going that way quite significantly.

Not a commentary on this individual. I have no knowledge of this. I have however seen people I knew , worked with, kids friends dads suffer similar fates. There was usually common threads.

I have a close friend engaged to a 60 yr old ex football lineman. Guy is huge, about 350 lbs. Makes me a bit sad because odds are the guy dies in a couple years....statistically .

It is sad for all involved. But it's not the first time, and unfortunately likely won't be the last either.

I can relate to this, I have been to several friends' funerals, many who were younger than I am, in the past 5 years. Most of the rest of my age friends have either had heart surgery, joint, hip surgery, numerous other debilitating injuries or ailments. I feel very blessed to have none of these and am able to hike, and trail run on a regular basis.

LittleRock
03-02-2018, 10:48
Well, become the avg 50 yr old American male. Poor diet, no excercise, 40 lb overweight.Add smoking too.....and you can increase your chances of going that way quite significantly.
Yup. I imagine the same thing would probably happen to my 62yo father if he attempted the 1 mi hike up Springer from the FS Rd parking lot.

BuckeyeBill
03-02-2018, 11:25
Gee you guys think every one 40 years or older has no chance to make it. Heck the medical people sent my grandma home to die at 75 with 6 months left to live. She never changed anything about her life style. Overweight, smoker and regular drinker of her own moonshine. She was blind in her right eye and finally passed away at 95.

Wyoming
03-02-2018, 12:10
Come on now Bucky.

You know that is not what they are saying. It is just commentary on the general state of your typical American.

My mom should have died of lung cancer, or heart disease or a stroke. She smoked 3 packs a day from the age of 18 to 88 and was overweight the entire time. Did no exercise either. Died of none of those causes. But she should have. Some folks just get lucky is all. Some die of a heart attack in high school as one of the varsity players on our basketball team did.

SoaknWet
03-02-2018, 12:17
I still think your DNA plays a more important role in your life span.

Seatbelt
03-02-2018, 13:14
Gee you guys think every one 40 years or older has no chance to make it. Heck the medical people sent my grandma home to die at 75 with 6 months left to live. She never changed anything about her life style. Overweight, smoker and regular drinker of her own moonshine. She was blind in her right eye and finally passed away at 95.
Sounds like some of my ancestors, especially the moonshine part.:)

BuckeyeBill
03-02-2018, 17:34
Sounds like some of my ancestors, especially the moonshine part.:)

Well she did make some pretty good shine. it was really smooth but had a mule kick when it hit bottom. As kids every now then she would let us have a few jars to run our go-carts with. It put out a pretty blue flame out the exhaust pipe.

FrogLevel
03-02-2018, 19:54

Its the biggest factor.

4eyedbuzzard
03-02-2018, 21:06
Genetics, lifestyle, and risk behavior certainly play roles. As does affluence and where you are born and live. But never underestimate good luck.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2018, 21:25
Genetics, lifestyle, and risk behavior certainly play roles. As does affluence and where you are born and live. But never underestimate good luck.

Always choose your parents carefully...

martinb
03-02-2018, 21:30

Understanding it plays a bigger factor.