PDA

View Full Version : airline travel with backpack

energier
02-27-2018, 15:28
Sorry if this already a thread but I couldn't find it which femmes odd
Anyone with experience flying with their pack I need advised. I'm thinking of a cover would like input from anyone has used one or flown with a pack. Obviously I want it in original condition when I arrive.
Thanks

fastfoxengineering
02-27-2018, 15:50
Anyone with experience flying with their pack I need advised. I'm thinking of a cover would like input from anyone has used one or flown with a pack. Obviously I want it in original condition when I arrive.
ThanksTopic has been covered many a times.

There's some things in a hikers pack you can't carry on. And more regulations against fuel.

Take whole pack and put it inside a cheap duffel bag. Check it.

Upon reaching destination, remove said pack and donate duffel bag

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

nsherry61
02-27-2018, 15:52
Sorry if this already a thread but I couldn't find it . . .
Many, threads on this topic, some quite current.

Try searching for "backpack airline travel" (https://www.google.com/search?q=site:https://whiteblaze.net%20backpack%20airline%20travel).

Have fun.

norts
02-27-2018, 15:57
ThanksI use a lightweight duffel bag.
Some ppl buy a used suitcase and throw away when they reach destination. Other's use wrapping at airport. Large plastic bag.
Only one i dont like is, cinch your straps down and hope for the best.
I used this once. That pack is now my training pack. It has a few missing buckles.
Taz

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
02-27-2018, 15:57
I bought a large duffel bag and put my gear in it. There is no fuel or other items that would tend to piss the TSA officers off. It all is loose in the bag with an inventory list with a large copy stamp on it so they get the idea that I know everything that's in the bag. This protects the backpack straps and the item that need protected I wrap in bubble wrap. Fuel bottles (empty) along with other equipment on the no fly list are shipped ahead by Ground Big Brown. YMMV

Jayne
02-27-2018, 16:01
Next I have to fly with my pack I'm thinking I'll cover it with a heavy duty trash bag and then wrap it completely in a roll or two of duct tape. Just cut it off and throw it away at the destination.

moldy
02-27-2018, 16:16
Here is what I do. Never had a problem. When I go to the airport I bring a roll of plastic packing tape.(the cheap kind) After the airline person has says its OK to put my bag on the conveyor, I wrap the crap out of it with the tape making sure no straps are sticking out, I make a cocoon out of it.

Bud64
02-27-2018, 16:48
There is UPS drop box in the Atlanta airport. I use Osprey Airporter and carry a UPS shipping box. When you get there put the Airporter/ Duffel in the box and send it home.

Dogwood
02-27-2018, 17:31
Thanks

Not picking on you but if all the threads and posts regarding the topic were condensed into one thread it could be one of the top 10 longest threads on WB.

saltysack
02-28-2018, 09:00
Simple...just no fuel...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/5c8992d23bbad5bb84be2007f80fb67a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backtrack213
02-28-2018, 11:04
depending on your pack size you can have it as carry on also. My Zpacks arc haul was able to be used as carry on. I even got my trekking poles and tent stakes on the flight somehow. I just put everything in the pack and didn't have a problem.

QiWiz
03-05-2018, 13:45
I have taken my packed pack as carry-on luggage on many occasions, making sure I had no TSA-prohibited items in it (blades, fuel, etc). Prohibited items I have either mailed to myself at my destination, purchased at my destination, or put in checked luggage that I shared with one or more hiking partners. Have been able to take trekking poles and tent stakes on the plane in my pack, but worry that TSA might give me trouble with them.

FrogLevel
03-05-2018, 17:31
I've flown all over the world on various airlines with my Osprey Atmos 50 very full and not had an issue.

No cover and often as carry on. It will fit in the bin. I've had to gate-check it on small propeller planes and the tiny CRJ's.

Slo-go'en
03-05-2018, 18:13
The only problem with this is someone might think it's actual trash and throw it away!

Simple...just no fuel...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/5c8992d23bbad5bb84be2007f80fb67a.jpg

saltysack
03-06-2018, 12:16
The only problem with this is someone might think it's actual trash and throw it away!

Good call...it sure smells worse than trash after a few days out...