PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Nylon

skylark
02-28-2018, 12:16
While trying to sleep, my face and ears rub against the nylon sleeping bag and stuff sack pillow. It is very loud.

Can I quiet it down a bit or should I just get used to it?

I was thinking about making a fleece cap or something. Any other ideas?

Feral Bill
02-28-2018, 12:34
Noise doen't bother me, but a fleece cap is worth having, regardless.

Time Zone
02-28-2018, 12:47
Try earplugs, as a start.
When I got back into camping and backpacking, I wanted to bond with nature, but I wasn't prepared for how noisy she can be. Living in a house most of my life, I had been insulated from the sounds of the great outdoors. It's pretty startling how loud it is out there at night, esp. in the wilderness. So ease your way into it ... start out with earplugs and at some point see if you can't take them out at some point in the night, say when you roll over, and still get back to sleep. Over time you may not need them, but I still do (mostly b/c I don't get out overnight often enough - I mostly dayhike).

Leo L.
02-28-2018, 12:54
Being pretty bald, I most often wear a woolen hat, a balaclava or a puff when in the sleeping bag.
This not only keeps me warm and avoids critters crawling and maybe stinging/biting, but also helps to keep the bag clean.
Keeping the noise down a bit is a nice benefit.

MtDoraDave
02-28-2018, 12:58
... especially if I am trying to listen because I thought I heard a critter nearby!
Even if I don't move, my I can hear my pulse making noise against the sleeping bag.
Perhaps find or make an article of clothing like the race car drivers wear under their helmets that covers the head and neck - but in a more appropriate material for cold weather (rather than fire proof).

Slo-go'en
02-28-2018, 14:21
I made a fleece "pillow case" and stuff some clothes in it for a pillow. Using a nylon stuff sack for a pillow really sucks.

Longboysfan
02-28-2018, 14:43
They make stuff sacks that reverse and are felt inside.

Slo-go'en
02-28-2018, 16:20
They make stuff sacks that reverse and are felt inside.

I had one of those but didn't really like it. It was on the heavy side and since I used it as a pillow, I never really used it as a stuff sack.

Puddlefish
02-28-2018, 16:30
I have a Sierra Designs DriDown pillow, which was stupid expensive... and I don't even use the pillow itself. I do use the padded pillowcase however, and stuff some spare clothing in it. It doubles as a big sleep mitten when I sleep on my side, where I slide my hand into it, which keeps my hand from freezing as well. It's also quiet. I found it was worth the 2.7 oz.

It would be easy enough to sew some sort of padded fabric bag that's lightweight enough.

DownEaster
02-28-2018, 17:40
I use my merino wool neck gaiter (not the Buff brand, but same idea) as a pillowcase.

nsherry61
02-28-2018, 17:54
I have a very light fleece balaclava that does a good job of drastically reducing noises around my ears inside both my sleeping bag and my hood if I'm wearing one.

skylark
02-28-2018, 19:29
Thanks, I think I have a lightweight balaclava somewhere, I will try it out.

nsherry61
02-28-2018, 20:19
Thanks, I think I have a lightweight balaclava somewhere, I will try it out.
Being a soft is a big help for quite.

egilbe
03-01-2018, 08:06
I use my fleece pullover as a pillow case. Nice and soft.

MtDoraDave
03-04-2018, 13:54
I found this... It popped up on my FB feed
http://www.performancebike.com/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1089706