PDA

View Full Version : Possible way to get on the approach trail

wordstew
03-01-2018, 23:12
It looks like you can get a enterprise rental car out of the ATL airport and there is a enterprise drop off in Jasper GA... it's 14 miles from the Amicalola State Park. You could Uber to Amicalola State Park or stay in Jasper for the night and Uber the next day....

Venchka
03-01-2018, 23:38
Enterprise has always come to me and dropped me off where I wanted to go at the end of the rental. Call them. Give them the pick up and drop off locations. See what they say.
Wayne

wordstew
03-01-2018, 23:54
Now that's interesting....
I did a search and found a Enterprise car rental for as low as 30 bucks out of ATL

MuddyWaters
03-02-2018, 08:18
There's no shortage of ways to get to amicalola easy.
REI in Atlanta runs shuttles.....numerous people shuttle....public transport gets you to gainsville where taxis wait....

There is however, a plethora of people too lazy to use Google who want every answer spoon-fed.

Gatc site has the best info, very odd it come up first if one Google's" getting to Amicalola from atlanta". Yet the question is asked here frequently.

No wonder so many can't make it out of Ga, they can't figure out how to get to trail head without assistance.

https://georgia-atclub.org/hike-the-a-t/hike-the-georgia-appalachian-trail/directions-shuttles-parking

Good luck with Uber in a small town of 3000. They have taxi though that will take you. You won't save any money, while just making things difficult. Spend night?

Mant thru hikers are too young to rent a car anyway.

You MIGHT find an Uber. It's not something you can count on in rural areas. Taxis are same...you might wait an hr for pickup. A prearranged shuttle....is reliable and on time.

Deacon
03-02-2018, 08:28
Now that's interesting....
I did a search and found a Enterprise car rental for as low as 30 bucks out of ATL

Unless Enterprise has changed their policy, there is a $250 surcharge on rentals if you drop off a car at a different location from where you first pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maineiac64
03-02-2018, 08:31
Car rental fees are typically the base then there are airport fees, taxes, etc. plus if you drop off at a different out of town location there is a drop off fee. Most people take marta to north springs and shuttle.

peakbagger
03-02-2018, 09:17
Reading the excellent GATC info it strikes me that the options are a lot better to get to Springer then BSP.

LazyLightning
03-02-2018, 09:59
I checked Uber availability from the enterprise at Cumming, GA to Amicalola and I could have been picked up in less then 2 minutes, looking at a $35-45 trip from Cumming

just checked availability from Jasper right now and one is 8 min away about the same price

want to check Uber availability from somewhere else to give you an idea? ..... http://www.uber-fare-estimator.com/

Venchka
03-02-2018, 10:10
Unless Enterprise has changed their policy, there is a $250 surcharge on rentals if you drop off a car at a different location from where you first pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
One way rental is covered by the company reservations system. Assuming that the user is paying attention.
Ironically, I priced a one way rental between the Denver airport and Durango recently. The total was under $200.
It gets stranger. The rental car companies will almost pay the renter to get cars to high demand locations like New Orleans for Carnival. Or Augusta for the Masters.
Meanwhile, Atlanta isn’t even the place to go for an AT hike. Just a waypoint along the approach to the AT.
Wayne

CalebJ
03-02-2018, 10:22
I checked Uber availability from the enterprise at Cumming, GA to Amicalola and I could have been picked up in less then 2 minutes, looking at a $35-45 trip from Cumming

just checked availability from Jasper right now and one is 8 min away about the same price

want to check Uber availability from somewhere else to give you an idea? ..... http://www.uber-fare-estimator.com/
I can't imagine how that could be worth it for an Uber driver. That's a long trip (30 miles between Cumming, GA and the park entrance).

wordstew
03-02-2018, 10:41
Just checked Enterprise one day rental pick up at ATL Enterprise drop off at Enterprise Jasper GA. Looks to me like it's $30.95 total.

1 Day(s)
$ 19.10
Tax & Fee Details
$ 11.85
Estimated Total
$ 30.95

wordstew
03-02-2018, 10:47
Just checked Enterprise one day rental pick up at ATL Enterprise drop off at Enterprise Jasper GA. Looks to me like it's $30.95 total.

1 Day(s)
$ 19.10
Tax & Fee Details
$ 11.85
Estimated Total
$ 30.95

The exact same itinerary in reverse is $125.00....

Venchka
03-02-2018, 10:49

1 Day(s)
$ 19.10
Tax & Fee Details
$ 11.85
Estimated Total
$ 30.95
You win. Verify with a human being.
Push the envelope. Tell the human being that you want to be dropped at the State Park. Uber not required.
Wayne

wordstew
03-02-2018, 11:00
You win. Verify with a human being.
Push the envelope. Tell the human being that you want to be dropped at the State Park. Uber not required.
Wayne

Just exploring the options
If indeed this is doable for $30.00 it looks like it could be a viable option to get you there plus you can stop along the way to pick up anything you may need...
If 3 or 4 hikers get together out of ATL I can't see any cheaper alternatives

TheMidlifeHiker
03-02-2018, 11:54
There's no shortage of ways to get to amicalola easy.
REI in Atlanta runs shuttles.....numerous people shuttle....public transport gets you to gainsville where taxis wait....

There is however, a plethora of people too lazy to use Google who want every answer spoon-fed.

Gatc site has the best info, very odd it come up first if one Google's" getting to Amicalola from atlanta". Yet the question is asked here frequently.

No wonder so many can't make it out of Ga, they can't figure out how to get to trail head without assistance.

https://georgia-atclub.org/hike-the-a-t/hike-the-georgia-appalachian-trail/directions-shuttles-parking

Good luck with Uber in a small town of 3000. They have taxi though that will take you. You won't save any money, while just making things difficult. Spend night?

Mant thru hikers are too young to rent a car anyway.

You MIGHT find an Uber. It's not something you can count on in rural areas. Taxis are same...you might wait an hr for pickup. A prearranged shuttle....is reliable and on time.

You seem to have so much knowledge - but you also seem like a arrogant jerk who reluctantly shares that knowledge. You can be constructive without being insulting.

Nycauburn
03-02-2018, 12:17

Its 45-55 miles from cumming to the park. I doubt you get there under $45. And Jasper probably has only a driver or two, so good luck if they are off or busy.

LazyLightning
03-02-2018, 12:36
less then 35 miles from Cumming enterprise to the park via GA-9 and one other route also, not saying that's short but big difference from 45-55

not trying to be an ass but if Uber isn't worth it for someone maybe they shouldn't be doing it? .... I give a good tip anytime I use it for what it's worth ... are you supposed to stay in town only with Uber or only do short trips? .... then on the other hand I hear people say short trips aren't worth it for them. I would think somebody that's been doing Uber can't expect to just stay in Cumming or any certain area....

wordstew
03-02-2018, 13:03
less then 35 miles from Cumming enterprise to the park via GA-9 and one other route also, not saying that's short but big difference from 45-55

not trying to be an ass but if Uber isn't worth it for someone maybe they shouldn't be doing it? .... I give a good tip anytime I use it for what it's worth ... are you supposed to stay in town only with Uber or only do short trips? .... then on the other hand I hear people say short trips aren't worth it for them. I would think somebody that's been doing Uber can't expect to just stay in Cumming or any certain area....

Less than 15 miles from Jasper Enterprise car rental... Cab, Uber to Amicalola, if any of those work then it appears to be a pretty good/cheap option... If Enterprise will pick the car up or drop you off at or near Amicalola then this becomes a stellar deal

What concerns me is given the large number of hikers that nobody has done/posted this before so maybe it looks great in theory but in practice something gets in the way to make it more expensive or difficult.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2018, 13:07
Until you actually request ride and a driver accepts.....it only is an estimate .

This is where Uber breaks down in rural areas ....all the time.

Driver don't accept what they don't want to.

In case of jasper, I see Enterprise is $41. + Gas. So looking at 48 for rentsl.. Uber estimate is 35-47. Split diff =41 Total = $82.

How much you save? Especially if tip driver?

Venchka
03-02-2018, 13:12
Less than 15 miles from Jasper Enterprise car rental... Cab, Uber to Amicalola, if any of those work then it appears to be a pretty good/cheap option... If Enterprise will pick the car up or drop you off at or near Amicalola then this becomes a stellar deal

What concerns me is given the large number of hikers that nobody has done/posted this before so maybe it looks great in theory but in practice something gets in the way to make it more expensive or difficult.
Exactly why I said that you should verify the rate with someone at Enterprise, Jasper would be perfect. Otherwise you might get a triple digit surprise.
I once lamented and criticized the absence of independent research in the internet age. I was severely flamed. Perhaps the truth hurts?
Wayne

wordstew
03-02-2018, 13:31
Exactly why I said that you should verify the rate with someone at Enterprise, Jasper would be perfect. Otherwise you might get a triple digit surprise.
I once lamented and criticized the absence of independent research in the internet age. I was severely flamed. Perhaps the truth hurts?
Wayne

Gotcha... trust but verify

Nycauburn
03-02-2018, 15:32

I live in cumming, if you didnt see next to my name, FWIW. Are you assuming MARTA bus from North Springs station to get to Cumming? It's 56 miles from my house in cumming and I live right next to 400 and hwy 9. Uber driver isnt going to take HWY 9. And Uber drivers in Cumming are going to want to stick to area or head south. There is nothing north of the county. For all this, you might as well just get Uber from the furthermost north you can get on MARTA

Thefurther
03-02-2018, 20:10
all that trouble and i charge 80 bucks to amicalola from Gainesville and marta . why are you making it so hard on yourself man

jigsaw
03-03-2018, 09:53
exactly what I was thinking. no doubt there are cheaper options but why go through the trouble.
im gonna have enough on my mind. hire a local guy they do it all the time. sit back and relax.
either way good luck maybe see you out there
all that trouble and i charge 80 bucks to amicalola from Gainesville and marta . why are you making it so hard on yourself man

LazyLightning
03-03-2018, 20:21
I live in cumming, if you didnt see next to my name, FWIW. Are you assuming MARTA bus from North Springs station to get to Cumming? It's 56 miles from my house in cumming and I live right next to 400 and hwy 9. Uber driver isnt going to take HWY 9. And Uber drivers in Cumming are going to want to stick to area or head south. There is nothing north of the county. For all this, you might as well just get Uber from the furthermost north you can get on MARTA

I only mentioned Cumming cause I ended up there reserving an out of state car rental and that was the best option they were giving for a drop off location. I went on google maps and they give 3 options to "418 Amicalola Falls State Park Rd" ... and all 3 are under 35 miles .... Uber Fare lists it just under 32 miles the way they would route the driver. I only mentioned Uber because someone mentioned it and I happened to have looked it up, I'm not trying to be cheap or find the cheapest but it seemed like a good option from what I looked up. Am I missing something? .... not trying to be a wise ass, drop off 518 Atlanta Rd. and I'm seeing under 35 miles to Amicalola with every route I see showing up, 56 miles seems like it would send you past Cumming unless the towns that big.

Thefurther
03-03-2018, 22:20
the trail is a place to escape the chaotic world that we live in for me . i won't give my cash to big companies like uber , etc . unless i have too . if you ever need anything give me a shout . hike safely ... peace my friend . i'm all over the mtns here in ga and n.c. .