PDA

View Full Version : 9.5 X 12' tarp too big for a thru?

wren
02-11-2006, 17:23
The tarp ive used for years is roughly 7 X 9'. It has kept me dry in some of the worst weather. However, when camping in consistent heavy rains day after day (like I will see on a thru of the AT), the minor 'misting' my bag gets starts to become an issue. I dont really like waking up several times each night wondering if the foot of my bag is getting wet..

Since Im going with a fairly light down bag for the AT, Im considering one of two options: Either getting a larger tarp (9.5 X 12), or adding some beaks to my current tarp.. Just wanted some feedback from those that have thru'd with tarps on those options..

At this point, im leaning towards adding beaks to save a bit of weight, but i wonder if a slightly longer tarp would offer similar protection..

Twigs
02-11-2006, 17:43
Maybe you could get a bivy? That way, no worries about the misting. Equinox has got a good one for about 60 bucks.

Doctari
02-11-2006, 18:38
12 feet am a long way from end to end on a tarp. My first one was 12' x 12', & was HUGE! If you are used to a 7' x 9', consider going just a bit larger & get a 9' X 9'. That is what my (now retired) tarp is, and was more than sufficiant.

Last time I was there, my Big Lots had a (something) X 12' blue tarp, for about $12.00, get one, set it up in the yard, & see how big it is. I suspect you will be surprised.

It also depends on how you set up, Have you tried the flying wedge set up? Requires only one: tree, pole, etc.

Doctari.

wren
02-11-2006, 18:49
Maybe you could get a bivy? That way, no worries about the misting. Equinox has got a good one for about 60 bucks.

I have a bivy, and use it along with the tarp for certain situations. For the AT though, i think id rather just go with the tarp alone. They do compliment each other well though..

Im not a huge fan of using a bivy as a primary shelter for prolonged trips, particularly really rainy ones. I enjoy the sense of space that tarps afford as well as the feeling of still being connected to whats happening outside (especially when its raining). Seems like that feeling is lessened to some degree with tents and bivys.

wren
02-11-2006, 18:59
It also depends on how you set up, Have you tried the flying wedge set up? Requires only one: tree, pole, etc.

Doctari.

I just laid a tape measure down next to my tarp, and youre right.. 12' is huge. Doesnt sound like a lot, but when I really look at it.. Thats gonna be too big..

As far as the wedge goes, i guess I really havent tried it since the standard 'A-frame' has worked so well for me in the past.. Great suggestion. I will check it out and see how well it works..

Sly
02-11-2006, 19:02
Beaks on the tarp would probably surfice. Keep the bivy in a bounce box in case you need it.

wren
02-11-2006, 21:13
Decided to throw some beaks on the tarp ive been using.. Thanks for everyones input.

TwoForty
02-12-2006, 15:45
Just my $.02...
You may be limited with what campsites you can fit in with that size tarp. Finding a site suitable for a tarp shelter can be hard enough.
I am 6'1" and I use an 8x10 in the a-frame pitch. I have yet to have yet to get wet from splashback from the sides, foot, or head of the bag. I usually wake up wet from misting though. What happens in the south is that you get condensation on your tarp. When it starts to rain, the water hitting the tarp breaks the surface tension on the condensation droplets and it mists on you. My bag has a good DWR, but everything else under the tarp gets slightly damp.
I think most all bivy bags are going to result in interior condensation between the bag and bivy. If you do go with a bivy bag, make sure you get one with a water resistant shell and make sure it is very breathable. EPIC would be a great choice.

If you still think you are going to get wet from rain coming in directly onto you, look into the golite cave tarps. They have a nice beak system and they pitch tight as a drum with all (14!) of the guylines.