PDA

View Full Version : Hot Spring and Erwin

bayview
03-04-2018, 15:31
Just trying to plan my summer section hike. Looking at this section and wondering if NOBO or SOBO is easier or does it not matter and anyone know how much a shuttle from one to the other would be?

Slo-go'en
03-04-2018, 16:14
I'd say it's a toss up for direction. You have a big climb out of the river valley on both ends. It looks like longer down hill sections going SOBO then NOBO, which means longer up hills going NOBO. Down hill is easier on the lungs, but harder on the knees.

No idea on shuttle costs. I'd budget $100 and hope it's less.

saltysack
03-04-2018, 18:06
Shuttle was $80 few months ago from uncle J. I did lil over 2 days from Hot springs to Spivey gap about 12 miles shy of Erwin. I busted my knee so stopped short of the 3 day goal. It’s fairly challenging section imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-04-2018, 19:36
North seems like natural direction .
You get views above river coming in to Erwin....if it not foggy.

Uncle Johnny's can set you up shuttle. No better place to park than there. Shower before hit road. If you let them arrange shuttle, they used to not charge for parking.

When you get to Johnny's, get a shuttle to Indian grave gap and walk back if have time. Easiest 9 miles on the southern AT. Slight downhill smooth grade you can make 3 mph with daypack and a liter water.

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2018, 21:13
Check 10K's service - hikershuttles.com

Night Train
03-09-2018, 21:12
Both directions are good. Choose the shuttle of your choice, it's yo cash!

saltysack
03-11-2018, 12:27
Keep in mind MHH charges $10 per day parking vs $2 pd if not using them as Shuttler.

Red Laces
03-19-2018, 15:57
I did that section a few years ago, parked at Uncle Johnny's and they shuttled me half way south, Hiked SOBO to Hot Springs, resupplied, got a shuttle back to the half-way point and hiked NOBO to UJ's, carried way less food that way.

bayview
03-21-2018, 19:05
Follow up as we probably will do NOBO. Just curious as to how days would go as in which shelters to stop and go hostel after 3 days. I know a great deal leads to our condition but we usually do 10 miles a day and want a hostel after day 3 if there was one.

MuddyWaters
03-22-2018, 03:57
Follow up as we probably will do NOBO. Just curious as to how days would go as in which shelters to stop and go hostel after 3 days. I know a great deal leads to our condition but we usually do 10 miles a day and want a hostel after day 3 if there was one.

Well there's not an easy one after 3 days out of Erwin. But at your pace there's one after 2 days- greasy Creek. Then about another 3 Days To Mountain Harbor.

Of course you can pay a shuttle driver to pick you up at any remote road crossing and take you to a hostel anytime you want.

saltysack
03-22-2018, 07:35
There’s a so called hostel @ Rector Laurel rd about 36 miles north of HS...by the looks of what I saw I wouldn’t let my dog stay there.....I’m actually headed back up that way to do a section Saturday...Spivey gap to 19 E....forecast looks rough.....