PDA

View Full Version : BA Tent Guy Lines ?

ADK Walker
03-05-2018, 09:58
Who makes the BA Tent guy lines that are very thin and yellow. Maybe 1.5mm in diameter? Looking to add them to my tarp as well.

Thanks

AllDownhillFromHere
03-05-2018, 10:31
Who makes the BA Tent guy lines that are very thin and yellow. Maybe 1.5mm in diameter? Looking to add them to my tarp as well.
Thanks

This stuff? http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml

nsherry61
03-05-2018, 12:17
Who makes the BA Tent guy lines that are very thin and yellow. Maybe 1.5mm in diameter? Looking to add them to my tarp as well. s
FWIW Braided mason line is about the same size and strength (and color if you buy it in yellow). You can get it at Home Depot or most any other hardware store or department.

ADK Walker
03-05-2018, 13:00
Thanks! The Zpacks line looks great. I'll also check out the mason line - good idea.

blw2
03-05-2018, 22:13
several years ago for a totally different application I found that West Marine has tons of different types of line and cord in bulk. I bought some high strength amsteel for the winch I was setting up at the time.

ADK Walker
03-06-2018, 10:58
Good call on West Marine. We have one nearby

MtDoraDave
03-08-2018, 07:54
High tech lines, check out some of these:
https://estore.twinline-usa.com/

I bought a spool of the Technora 950 that I use as my bear bag cord and "spare" emergency cord (clothesline). It's half the size of paracord (.114" - almost 1/8") and twice as strong. It is PTFE (teflon) coated so it glides over branches. It doesn't stretch, so knots untie relatively easily. It doesn't burn, so you have to tie a knot in the end or it will fray. The 300lb test is only .059" , and the 200lb test is .032" - super strong for the diameter, good for guy lines perhaps, but hard to grip for bear bagging.

The other products look good also, but I don't have experience with them.

Time Zone
03-08-2018, 11:12
FWIW Braided mason line is about the same size and strength (and color if you buy it in yellow). You can get it at Home Depot or most any other hardware store or department.

I have some of this - actually had choice of highlighter green or pink - maybe others. Used it for a bit for hammock tarp, but decided after some experience that it fell under Skurka's "stupid light" for my purposes. Although it is very inexpensive and strong, it was not very abrasion resistant (it fuzzes easily around tree bark), and it's extremely slippery, so it does a very poor job of gripping itself with say a midshipman's (taut-line) hitch and other similar uses. I can't speak for zing-it and other types of arborists' cord.

I ended up going with blaze orange 325 paracord. It's thinner and lighter than typical (550) paracord, but it's just as visible as the mason's line and miles better in terms of holding a knot or hitch. About $5 gets you 50 ft and a carabiner. It isn't reflective in the dark like Kelty Triptease and others*, but in dim light it stands out well.

* I've heard the reflective threads in such guyline can be slippery, but they are few, so it may not matter much for gripping.

ADK Walker
03-08-2018, 11:58
MDD, Thanks for the info. The Technora looks sweet.

TZ, I hear you on the mason line. I can imagine it would tangle more then other similar sized lines too. Just a guess.

Time Zone
03-08-2018, 20:46
MDD, Thanks for the info. The Technora looks sweet.

TZ, I hear you on the mason line. I can imagine it would tangle more then other similar sized lines too. Just a guess.

It does tangle pretty easily, now that I hearken back to it. But one saving grace it that it doesn't grip itself well, so you can untangle without too much fuss - in theory. In practice, the line is so thin when stretched, if you truly get a "tight" knot or tangle, it's not easy to find what part of the tangle to pick at to get it started untangling. If that makes any sense.

All that said, it is super light and can be effective if you are choosy on the application and the way you secure it. I just felt it wasn't worth the extra effort, IMO.