PDA

View Full Version : Fly in Fly out

realdeal64
03-05-2018, 16:30
i have 7 days to hike on vacation,I am looking for advise on where I can hike that is close to a major airport,take a quick shuttle and do about 6-7 days hiking ?
Other then Springer or Harper's Ferry,which I have already hiked.Coming from South Florida,so hoping somewhere kinda South ?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

TNhiker
03-05-2018, 16:36
knoxville is not a "major" airport but its one that offers a ton of hiking opportunities...............

and not just the smokies...

same with asheville.....

Coffee
03-05-2018, 16:45
You can access the AT a short cab/uber ride from Roanoke, although that's not really a major airport and I haven't done sections around there yet.

Starchild
03-05-2018, 19:10
NYC airports has 'easy' access to the AT basically from the NJ/PA boarder to the NY/CT boarder

map man
03-05-2018, 19:58
As Coffee suggests, Roanoke VA has an airport and the AT passes through metropolitan Roanoke when in runs through Daleville. Fly into Roanoke, get a shuttle south to whatever road crossing would put you a comfortable 6 or 7 hiking days south on the trail (Pearisburg is 94 trail miles south if you feel like hiking that far), then hike NOBO, enjoying scenic highlights such as Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs, and end in Daleville.

I have flown into Roanoke before - it is serviced by some major airlines.

FrogLevel
03-05-2018, 20:16
AVL and TRI are both less than an hour away from Roan Mountain, Hot springs, Max Patch and Laurel Fork Falls sections (among other non-AT trails.)

TRI is an hour away from Mt. Rogers.

TYS is an hour from the Smokies

realdeal64
03-05-2018, 20:29
As Coffee suggests, Roanoke VA has an airport and the AT passes through metropolitan Roanoke when in runs through Daleville. Fly into Roanoke, get a shuttle south to whatever road crossing would put you a comfortable 6 or 7 hiking days south on the trail (Pearisburg is 94 trail miles south if you feel like hiking that far), then hike NOBO, enjoying scenic highlights such as Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs, and end in Daleville.

I have flown into Roanoke before - it is serviced by some major airlines.

Thank you for excellent advice.