PDA

View Full Version : CT to NY hiking on AT...question about food storage.

Climber714
03-05-2018, 20:25
Hi All,

Hiking with the Mrs. from NY/CT line down to Fahnestock prior to Easter weekend this year...few days on the trail and camping in a tent. I have a question about hanging food, vs. bear can, vs. just putting food in smell-proof aloksak bags...basically curious to know how to care for my food. Obviously interested in avoiding bears but also rodentia.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

Slo-go'en
03-05-2018, 21:14
The end of March may not be the best time to be doing that section, but that's up to you. Depends on if March goes out like a lamb or not. It sure came in like a lion!

I forget what was available for food storage on that section at shelter sites (NY is a designated campsite only state), but what ever, food storage was not an issue. Your mostly walking past peoples back yards through there. I think we mostly just hung it from the rafters in the shelter.

BillyGr
03-06-2018, 16:20
This year it's almost impossible to guess what that section could be like by the end of the month.

I'm sure you've had much of the same down there in NJ, but up here (about 1 hour north in NY from where you are planning to be, we've had twice so far warm (70's first time, 50's the second) with snow the following day.

We also had about 12" from the storm Friday which is now closer to 1 or 2" deep most places, but with another storm to follow tomorrow, which may be about the first time that the snow hasn't completely melted between storms.

Overall, we did that section once in (About mid) April with no issues and few people at any of the shelter sites, so there should be space.

LIhikers
03-06-2018, 17:54
My wife and I hiked CT line to NY's Bear Mountain one spring.
It was so warm that I had problems with the heat as there were no leaves on the trees yet to make shade.
Either way, hot or cold, it's a pretty section. I think you'll be OK just hanging your food.

The Snowman
03-07-2018, 18:30
I just hang my food bag never used a bear can. Some of the campsites now have bear boxes