PDA

View Full Version : sardines,smoked mussels,smoked oysters,tuna,etc

mweinstone
02-11-2006, 21:17
how do people that bring fish keep clean? as a boy, if i ate sardines and smoked yummies on the trail ,i would throw the trash in the bushes and deal with the racoons keeping me up all night licking the cans to death.but as an adult i know its impossible to pack fish trash so i eat these things in town. what do you do with fish trash?love to know.

Hikes in Rain
02-11-2006, 21:27
Use a little water you'll need anyway to rinse the foil pouch into the pot. Gets rid of most of the aroma. Crumble the pouch, add to trash bag. Hoist on bear cable (if hanging food and stuff). Discard at nearest trash recepticle. I do it with cans, too, when I use them.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2006, 21:41
Simple. Bury it in the bush like TP.

Ridge
02-11-2006, 21:44
Pack it out.

SalParadise
02-11-2006, 22:04
crab and oysters come in those foil packets so it's not any more trash to pack out then any other food--and they taste great in some Liptons. Great source of protein, too. Any fish that needs cooking, pack it out in some foil with an onion and throw it on a campfire and it's only some foil you'd have to pack out. pretty easy.

weary
02-11-2006, 23:38
crab and oysters come in those foil packets so it's not any more trash to pack out then any other food--and they taste great in some Liptons. Great source of protein, too. Any fish that needs cooking, pack it out in some foil with an onion and throw it on a campfire and it's only some foil you'd have to pack out. pretty easy.
I carry mostly canned tuna, sardines and such. The pouches are still too expensive, being a frugal guy, and a heavy donator to trail needs. I usually build a fire, or use one built by others to burn out all food scraps, crush the empties and carry them out with me.

WEary www.matlt.org