PDA

View Full Version : PA Questions

tawa
03-06-2018, 19:58
Leaving from Pen Mar State Park on March 28th and will be heading north to Maine.
Several questions I need help with---

Would you take ice spikes or leave them at home?

Which site or way would you use to post weekly journal and pictures . Prefer a site that is easy to use and navigate around.

Taking a 20 degree down bag--with silk liner and will place on top of a NeoAir with RV of 3.4.
Will this with some clothing on keep me warm enough at night?

How likely will I be to find others to hike with?

Will parks and hostels be open this early as I head through PA.

Suggestions on getting from Harrisburgh PA Greyhound station to Pen Mar Park?

Thank you in advance.

NJdreamer
03-06-2018, 21:30
For what they are worth, here are my thoughts:
- Re parks being open, the bathrooms at Pen Mar won't be open
- leave the microspikes at home
- You might want a 2nd lightweight pad to protect you from the cold ground
- Other hikers - yes, at least on the weekend, and from posts on Facebook and here, yes
- Hostels - John Stempa's is open at Smith Gap (1 mile from the AT, uses his garage as hostel and also may let you stay in the house if very cold out), the Mountain Hostel in Delaware Water Gap never closes or at least they were going to let me stay there a few weeks ago (and it turned out I didn't need to stay there)

Have fun. I saw your other post and may comment on that one.

DrL
03-06-2018, 23:00
We're about to get dumped on in Northeastern PA. Weather persons say 12+ inches of sloppy wet stuff. Unlikely that it will last through the rest of March. You're more likely to deal with downed trees.

Have you ever thought of Instagram? Pretty simple, picture way to journal your hike. Easier to connect with like-minded folk.

Have fun!

tawa
03-06-2018, 23:19
Guess there will be plenty of water in both streams and springs after the large snowfall,

Slo-go'en
03-07-2018, 00:31
My sister who lives a few miles south of the Delaware Water gap has been without power since the storm. Round two coming so soon after isn't going to help. The AT up at the north end of PA could be a mess for a while.

Looks like it's going to stay cold down in the SE corner of PA thru next week. That only leaves 2 weeks for the weather to drastically improve. Cross your fingers!

moldy
03-07-2018, 08:46
You are pushing your luck. It's about 800 miles between your starting place and the start of the White's. With 100 mile weeks you reach there about 1 June. That is about the time when you no longer need spikes. PA, NJ, will be April and the trail should be hike-able minus snowstorms. You may encounter deep snow in Vermont before 15 May. It's gonna be cold and with a 20 degree bag you will be sleeping in your coat. Most things will be closed so call ahead if you need a hostel. You won't be alone out there but you should expect near empty shelters. Trailjournals.com is a good place for your journal. For the shuttle to Pen-Mar go to the ATC web page Plan your hike, transportation then shuttle list. Pray for an early Spring.

DrL
03-07-2018, 21:23
Snow storm was a bust. At least in the vacinity of Port Clinton.

RangerZ
03-07-2018, 22:24
Suggestions on getting from Harrisburgh PA Greyhound station to Pen Mar Park?

Thank you in advance.

Get the "H" out of Harrisburg. :banana

tawa
03-07-2018, 22:47
Get the "H" out of Harrisburg. :banana

Now that's funny!!

peakbagger
03-07-2018, 23:13
Likely that the water source for Kirkridge will not be turned on. The only option is hike down a side trail off the ridge to the east and look for water.

LittleTim
03-07-2018, 23:36
Now that's funny!!

And kinda true. Unfortunately the public transportation system is very limited in the area, and getting to pen mar would be impossible unless you find a shuttle driver that's very charitable with rates.
Consider Frederick MD, Hagerstown MD or if greyhound goes there, Chambersburg PA. At least if you can't find a shuttle, uber won't cost a few hundred.

But if you would be willing to start at Carlisle or Duncannon, Harrisburg would be a good choice as I'm pretty sure youd find a regional bus going to Carlisle and maybe one within 5 miles away from Duncannon.

And such as many greyhound stations, the Harrisburg one ain't in a neighborhood that you would want to stick around for very long, not imminently dangerous, but kinda on the edge of a few sketchy areas.

RangerZ
03-08-2018, 00:34
Now that's funny!!

Glad that you took it right. Now, PittsburgH is a different matter.

Second Little Tim's comments about the location of the Harrisburg bus and rail stations. It's a shame for being the state capitol.

Bansko
03-08-2018, 12:05
I would not rely on that inflatable alone. I carried a Gossamer Gear 1/8 ultralight foam pad that I always placed under my inflatable. It added a little warmth, made a great sit pad, and protected my inflatable from punctures (none in almost 2200 miles). Of all the gear decisions I made, that was one that I would unquestionably make again.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2018, 13:57
I would not rely on that inflatable alone. I carried a Gossamer Gear 1/8 ultralight foam pad that I always placed under my inflatable. It added a little warmth, made a great sit pad, and protected my inflatable from punctures (none in almost 2200 miles). Of all the gear decisions I made, that was one that I would unquestionably make again.

I've been using a first generation NeoAir since 2008 and it has never sprung a leak and is still going strong. I don't know how many nights I have on it, but it's a lot.