PDA

View Full Version : Clothes for GSMNP first week of May

TSWisla
03-06-2018, 23:07
Trying to get my gear nailed down for a section hike of the GSMNP beginning of May. I plan on wearing REI Sahara pants, REI Sahara shirt. OR Helium jacket, Patagonia midweight base on reserve. Sleep in shorts and thin moisture wicking shirt and socks. One extra pair of additional socks, one additional underwear. Fleece hat. Do I need any gloves (suggestions please)? I have an REI Magma bag to sleep in. Do I need more/less? Any other suggestions?

MuddyWaters
03-06-2018, 23:26
Have you thought to bring insulation like a fleece or light puffy? Lows can be upper 30s

Traffic Jam
03-06-2018, 23:33
Rain pants and ball cap. I’d also pack my down jacket and light, running gloves, but that’s just me.

TSWisla
03-06-2018, 23:46
Have you thought to bring insulation like a fleece or light puffy? Lows can be upper 30s

Can you suggest a "light puffy"?

MuddyWaters
03-07-2018, 00:01
Can you suggest a "light puffy"?

Something with 2 oz down by montbell

Burrhead
03-07-2018, 00:53
+1 for light fleece or puffy and gloves. I live near the Smokies and hate trying to give advice on conditions. Last year I encountered high temps of 68 and lows of 46 in January and 55 and 40 in June. Watch the forecast and do the best you can.

JC13
03-07-2018, 09:21
If you haven't checked it out, Skurka has a general list for the clothing Smokies based on season. I agree with the glove and puffy recommendations. Hard to say what will be best for you as that depends on preference, price and weight factors that you value.

https://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-clothing-systems-3-season-conditions/

hikernutcasey
03-07-2018, 10:05
+1 for light fleece or puffy and gloves. I live near the Smokies and hate trying to give advice on conditions. Last year I encountered high temps of 68 and lows of 46 in January and 55 and 40 in June. Watch the forecast and do the best you can.This is what you have to do. There is no one answer. Just watch the forecast right before you go and dress accordingly. A good resource is https://www.atweather.org/

HooKooDooKu
03-07-2018, 10:30
This is what you have to do. There is no one answer. Just watch the forecast right before you go and dress accordingly. A good resource is https://www.atweather.org/
Yea that...

Seasonal averages call for Hi/Lo temps at upper elevations in GSMNP of about 55º/40º. But typical temperature variations are +/-10 to 15º with "unusual" variations of +/-25º. That suggests you can expect to encounter temperatures ranging from 15º to 75º.

evyck da fleet
03-07-2018, 12:54
I’d take light running gloves for the mornings and a puff jacket for sitting around camp at the end of the day. After the first week of May, I’ve been told, winter should be gone for good but that doesn’t mean there aren’t still cold spells. I’m not much for trusting mountain weather forecasts more than two days out so if it’s more than a weekend hike I’d be prepared for the possibility of bad weather.

HooKooDooKu
03-08-2018, 10:33
After the first week of May, I’ve been told, winter should be gone for good but that doesn’t mean there aren’t still cold spells.
LeConte Lodge has recorded snow fall in every month of the year except July and August.
I've personally experienced a night time low in the 30's at Icewater Spring shelter on July 4th.