PDA

View Full Version : Best Carbs?

Spiritual Pillgrim
02-11-2006, 21:56
I've been a dehyrdratin' bakin' fool :D the last few weeks. A lot of my snacks contain tons of brown sugar, choco chips, butterscotch chips etc. I've used a lot of stuff in my meals such as pasta, rice and oats.
question is, for extended hikes, (such as thru hikin the AT) which is better, complex carbs or simple carbs? I was thinkin they both might be good, but the timing of when they're eaten may be more important?
Comments, suggestions, complaints?:-?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2006, 22:11
Simply beer! Seriously the simple/complex thing doesn't apply on the AT. Just eat lotsa calories daily. Calories are fuel.

mogilews
02-12-2006, 00:36
It's not quite what you eat as when you eat it.

Breakfast should be some easy complex carbs, like oatmeal or johnnycake.

Breathers during the day come with delicious sugary snacks, every 10-40 minutes (depending on your pace). I like candies like Spree, Sweettarts, and Gobstoppers. During exercise, the sugar that these introduce to your bloodstream are metabolized very rapidly. ZOOM. Feel the hill rush by! Take care of your teeth, as with so many sugars any unchecked cavities will rot quickly

Supper is a nice time for fats and proteins. Or, what the heck, you're not gaining any weight- supper is the time to prep as many calories as you can. Lipton Parmesean Noodle packet + powdered parm + butter flavorered oil; fritos+chili+oil+cheddar; nuts and nuts and nuts plus cheese and jerky

neo
02-12-2006, 10:38
I've been a dehyrdratin' bakin' fool :D the last few weeks. A lot of my snacks contain tons of brown sugar, choco chips, butterscotch chips etc. I've used a lot of stuff in my meals such as pasta, rice and oats.
question is, for extended hikes, (such as thru hikin the AT) which is better, complex carbs or simple carbs? I was thinkin they both might be good, but the timing of when they're eaten may be more important?
Comments, suggestions, complaints?:-?

as many carbs as i can get,i love cappucccino and biscotti:cool: neo

hustler
02-12-2006, 12:48
Try to eat as many whole foods as possible, Try brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. They give you far more energy than the processed crap that we normally eat. I'm a fan of beer too, but its heavy and the hangover the next day does nothing for your hiking.

mweinstone
02-12-2006, 14:46
and ooats and lentles and pnut butter and crackers and rice and cheese and fruit and mmilk and chocolate.all dipped in mayo and fried in lard and rolled in bacos and jimmies.washed down with fruit crystles and water 10 times normal streangth.

greyowl
02-12-2006, 14:50
Complex carbs, predominately. Try also dried fruit for a quick pick me up. I know a lot of people like simple sugars, I would suggest peanut butter, jelly on (in) pita bread. Try to stick to whole grains. Try Dal (a quick cooking version of lentals).

Grey Owl