PDA

View Full Version : Usfs 42

02-11-2006, 22:15
USFS 42 was basicly unpasseable today. We had to turn back between Cooper and Horse Gap. Later in the day we got a call about people be stuck around Hightower gap. We are getting more snow tonight. Be carefull there are no guard rails.

generoll
02-11-2006, 22:46
is 129 open? I was planning on driving to Neels Gap tomorrow and hiking up to Blood Mtn.

Dances with Mice
02-11-2006, 23:31
USFS 42 was basicly unpasseable today. We had to turn back between Cooper and Horse Gap. Later in the day we got a call about people be stuck around Hightower gap. We are getting more snow tonight. Be carefull there are no guard rails. That was...uh...me...

Dances with Mice
02-11-2006, 23:37
Oh! If you happen to stop by the gas station in Suches, tell them the guy that juggles oranges got his van unstuck and made it home ok.

Trust me, they'll know exactly who you're talking about.

AbeHikes
02-12-2006, 00:06
Just curious... What is everyone driving?

Dances with Mice
02-12-2006, 00:22
Just curious... What is everyone driving?Full size Econoline van. 4WDs were making it ok, and there were a lot of them out there. A couple 4WD vehicles stopped to pull me back onto the road then towed me to where I could get traction again.

Almost There
02-12-2006, 02:45
If you come in from the Ellijay end and go up to Springer that way, it was possible with a 2wd Jeep rearwheel drive. I was supposed to meet Dances, and I made it all the way to Hightower Gap from that direction, although I did decide to come home tonight as 42 was water and mud from all the 4WD folks out for a joyride, I have never seen so much traffic on a forest service road. I would advise waiting as well unless the road dries up a little, looked like it might ice over tonight as the fog was clearing out around 5pm, meaning the ground must be more in line with air temp, which was 26 up at the Springer Lot. BTW there were 6 men camped up on Springer and another 6 in the shelter, including two section hikers and 4 thru hikers.

general
02-12-2006, 13:01
is 129 open? I was planning on driving to Neels Gap tomorrow and hiking up to Blood Mtn.

129 is open, and smooth sailing.

02-12-2006, 13:30
We were drivig our 4wd Suburban. But we were ther just after daylight and nobody had drinen the road yet. We were being careful.

Dances you were not the only one and I would not have ratted you out.;)

Dances with Mice
02-12-2006, 13:58
Dances you were not the only one and I would not have ratted you out.;)Alls well that ends well. I made some new friends, got to play in the snow, have a story to tell at work on Monday, and all for the low price of just one new tire!

I should have turned around at the rock quarry site just past Cooper Gap. I was really considering it but I fell into the trap of thinking "I've come this far, it's just a little bit further", and "Maybe it'll get easier on down the road."