PDA

View Full Version : Camp Shoes/are they worth it?

Happy
02-07-2003, 18:52
After two years of reducing pack weight I have recently been adding weight...my latest, camp shoes. Do I really need them?
Camping at Three Forks a year ago, I took some 3 oz. flip flops during the summer.

It started raining at 9 pm as I went into the tent and remained a steady rain into the morning....I wanted to eat breakfast in my tent but how do I get the bear bag down? I stripped, put on my flip flops and got the bear bag and ran back to the tent and dried with a bananda (70 uses).

Since that time, I have considered if I really want the weight of camp shoes...I have tried river shoes, bedroom slippers, sandals, etc...too heavy! (12-16 oz.) I hate flip flops..no use in winter... what else?

I was returning from the Springer Mountain area ( 3 inches snow)yesterday and stopped at an Outlet Mall and went to the Nike store and found some water sandles you could use socks with in winter and would stay on your feet for river crossings for $7. I purchased them, but I am looking at them as I write this and wonder if the weight is worth it? (7.1 oz) To add to this, I just changed to trail running shoes last year...is this duplication?

I would like some feedback of what you use if any, and the advantages and disadvanages of camp shoe use...other uses, etc....should I put these in my pack?

Footslogger
02-07-2003, 19:25
Happy ...since you're not wearing boots it may not be an issue. But for me ...camp shoes (sandals) are a must. In the coldest of weather on our 2001 AT hike we couldn't wait to get out of the boots and into our sandals. Another thing for boot wearers is when you are in a town or hostel. Awfully nice being able to slip into a comfy pair of sandals to make that store run or to do your laundry.
Dunno ...just seems to me that having something to fall back on, even if it's jut a cheap pair of flip-flops, is better than only having a single pair of footwear be it boots or trail shoes.
Just my .02

SGT Rock
02-07-2003, 19:26
After I went to running shoes as my hiking footgear I've not carried camp shoes. Just leave them unlaced and walk gangsta style.

Skeemer
02-07-2003, 19:30
I vote to keep the 3 oz flip flops. I found the cheap flip-flops a "must have" on my summer hike. Upon arriving at camp you can immediately take off your boots and sweaty socks and begin to "air out" your feet. I think you could also use them in the spring as long as the mud or snow isn't too bad. You can even wear socks with them if you put them on carefully.

smokymtnsteve
02-07-2003, 20:11
I'm keeping my camp shoes...not only is it better LNT to not wear boots around camp theres always a what if.

back in 2000 at the fontana Hilton a hiker came in barefooted and limping..what happened??..well he had took the AT up and then to spence field and decided to come back to fontana via Eagle creek trail ,a trail that has many creek crossings ..at the creek crossings he was taking his boots off and hanging them around his neck to keepem dry and he slipped and fell...boots came off from around his neck and DOWN the Creek they went..well as the boots went down the creek this feller hike's went UP THE creek.. without a paddle , well in this case without boots...

Bet he wished that he had a pair of some kinda of extra footwear...

well then there's the Barefoot sister's....:-?

Trail Yeti
02-07-2003, 21:03
Just hike in Chacos....take off your socks and you've got your camp shoes. And yes, you can wear them in the snow/winter, get a pair of goretex socks and wear thin liners underneath them.
If you ain't interested in this, I would keep the camp shoes. I was pretty light last year and still carried my TWO POUND chacos as camp shoes, when i wasn't hiking in them of course!

Peaks
02-07-2003, 21:59
I think that camp shoes is a good question. Here is kinda what I have figured out.

First, it's tough to ford streams in Maine with a pack and without something on your feet. So, you need something, at least in Maine.

Second, after it's been raining all day and your boots are soaked, it's nice to be able to put on something that isn't cold and damp. Especially nice when you need to make a run to water a tree, or get water etc.

My first year, I carried old running shoes. The next year, I carried Teva's. I'm still looking for something lighter. Possibly flip flops. Several people carried the plastic water shoes.

Any reports on using seal skins when your boots are soaked?

Redbeard
02-07-2003, 22:55
I agree with Sgt. Rock, git wit da G-Funk stylin, :banana another method(old boy scout trick) is to glue or sew a strap of leather/vinyl to a pair of old socks.

Wander Yonder
02-08-2003, 08:40
I have a 2 oz. pair of bedroom slippers with a rubber-like bottom that are very comfortable around camp. The top is a thin, stretchy material. I got them at Walmart.

Lugnut
02-08-2003, 11:05
Brawny has instructions for some homemade camp shoes that weigh almost nothing here:http://www.trailquest.net/index.html

RagingHampster
02-08-2003, 12:21
I'm seriously thinking about bringing both lightweight trailrunners, and lightweight sandals (like the Teva Wraptors). I'm learning so much reading Ray Jardine's book, and he even sacrifices extra weight for sandals. It allows you to hike around camp and in wet climates with the sandals, and then throw the runners on when it gets cool, or rough. Keeps your feet from rotting too. Nice in camp as well. Haven't fully decided yet...

Footslogger
02-08-2003, 12:55
Hey RH ...how heavy are those Wraptors ??

RagingHampster
02-08-2003, 13:46
Oh I'm not sure, I havent even looked at sandal weights yet! I haven't even decided on the trailrunner I want for this springs hiking season!

Kerosene
02-08-2003, 14:03
Sgt. Rock in his gangsta personna...now that's something I've got to see!

Redbeard
02-08-2003, 21:11
Yes Yes Y'all- Ya know it's Sgt Rock!
He's kickin' out the rhymes
An' he's goin' non-stop!:banana

Bandana Man
02-09-2003, 00:45
Originally posted by Peaks
Any reports on using seal skins when your boots are soaked?

I wear Sealskinz waterproof socks and Teva Proton water shoes when canoeing. My feet stay perfectly dry even when stepping in water over the tops of the socks. I carry this combination when backpacking to use as camp shoes and for fording streams. Again, feet stay dry. Never used the Sealskinz inside my boots, though.

Sealskinz weigh 4 oz (size Med). Teva Protons weigh 15.4 oz.

Happy
02-09-2003, 17:08
I purchased some Sealskin socks also, but have not tried them with my trail runners, I know Sgt. had some...what experiences have people had with these....are they worth fooling with?

Footslogger
02-09-2003, 17:33
I tried Sealskins and the REI GorTex over socks and found them both to be rather uncomfortable inside shoes or boots. Now for kayaking it's a whole different story. I find them to be perfect for that application.

Papa Bear
02-09-2003, 21:09
I just got a pair of Teva Hurricanes which seem much lighter than the Tevas I wore out last year. Sorry I don't have an oz. scale but they are clearly less than a pound (as per my bathroom scale).

They are specifically marketed for water use, not that that matters. Cheap ($29.97) from Campmor.

Teva Hurricanes from Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=6079699)

I like Tevas. Flip flops (although lighter) kill my toes. Would also never ford a stream in flip flops. Forget it! Also had a pair of aquamocs which were light, but had no soles so you would die walking over a rocky trail to the privy or spring. Wouldn't want to ford a stream in them either.

Pb

Footslogger
02-09-2003, 21:35
Just scored a pair of sandals today at Kmart that, for lack of a better description, resemble the ones sold by Adidas for "after soccer". They have a large velcro closure over the forefoot and a substantial sole. Got them home and popped them on the scale. A total of 13oz. Not bad for $7.99. The Merrell sandals that I used on the AT in 2001 weigh over a pound and a half and probably cost me $50.
One of the nice things is that they are a slip on sandal and do not have the toe separator. Easy on and off in the campsite and for those occasional late night nature calls.

Kerosene
02-10-2003, 10:46
I used the REI GoreTex socks for about 8 miles on a wet trail last October. Temperature was in the mid-50's. The socks themselves fit well over my liners and under my SmartWools. My feet stayed warm, but they were marinating in sweat that I ended up literally pouring out of the socks when I took them off. Yes, I tend to walk at a pretty good clip and my feet tend to sweat anyway, but I'm not convinced that they were worth the 4 ounces.

fancyfeet
02-17-2003, 23:41
Gotta have my camp shoes. Of course, it makes all the difference since I'm in the dwindling minority of hikers who love their heavy leather boots. I use some $9 fake Birkenstock sandals. Nice because they can be worn with or without socks, depending on temperature. Not quite as easy to cross rivers in as Teva's or Aquashoes would be, but aside from Maine, I haven't done much fording. Also unbeatable for those quick nighttime walks and wonderful for town shoes.

sli74
02-18-2003, 11:04
I always bring my tevas, they maybe heavy but it is the BEST feeling getting my feet into the tevas at the end of the day, the only better feeling is taking the pack off my back. The extra weight is worth it to me. I also sometimes hike the last couple of miles of the day in tevas if the terrain permits it.

Kozmic Zian
02-18-2004, 21:21
Yea....Camp Shoes. Experience, experience. I found that the lightest weight Teva's are the only way to go. They make a pair I bought in Hot Springs at the outfitter there, that has a strap that wraps around the forefoot and ankle. I bought them(can't think of the name). Very light, bout 6oz pr. Fit very well on the foot, with a snap-lock. Now, everybody seems to want to get 'round carrying these things. But, if you do you'll be sorry. Here's why:
1) When you get into camp, 1st thing you want to do is get out of those boots and into something light and dry.
2) Then you want to get water. Well, some of the springs are 1/2 mile downhill, and there's hard rocks and slippery S*** the whole way down. Then you have to come back up. Try that in rubber thongs, or socks, or soft aqua socks, or most anything other than a lightweight pr of Teva's!
3) Walking in town with dry sock and Teva's feels good. Try it in running shoes with the laces wrapped up and hangin out, etc. After a while with one pair of shoes(trail running shoes, or light weights), they will stink so bad you gotta' tent out!
4) To have dry feet at night is very important to give the skin a chance to harden and prevent blisters. Again, dry socks and Tevas. After hikin' all day in trail shoes, they're wet and muddy. Gotta' have 2 pairs of something.
5) When you get to ME, try fording the Piscataquis in rubber thongs, I don't think so! Soft shoes there will kill your feet. And by that time your feets have taken a pummeling for sure. Again, no substitute for Tevas.

Just remember that Teva makes a much lighter weight shoe just for backpacking....check it out online...www.teva.com . the pair I'm talking about is only about 30.00. Good Hiking....KZ@
__________________________________________________ ________________________
'We Find Ourselves In The Peaceful Possession Of The Fairest Portion Of The Earth'
Abe Lincoln

okpik
02-18-2004, 22:57
I use hand made mocs in the winter. They are 16oz moose hide lined with possum. They stand up even in the wet snow and weigh less than a pound.

I use running shoe inserts with a string attached like a thong in warmer weather.

steve hiker
02-18-2004, 23:39
Jumble Jowls votes a resounding YES to camp shoes. But not if they weigh more than a few ounces.

Hikerman
03-02-2004, 21:39
Hi all, Yes, I need and want camp shoes. I found the perfect pair! Crocs made by Waldies. They only weigh 10 oz. in a size 11 (large). The have a rear strap that can be moved forward out of the way. They have nubbies on the inside of the soles that massage your feet as you walk. They are deep enough so your feet don't slide around. I love them. I use them around the house and would not backpack without them. I got mine by mail order from the NOC. Only took about 4 work days. They have them in many colors. I chose blue.
Hikerman.

Doctari
03-03-2004, 20:41
Ok, every time I have posted this someone (all?) laughed at me, go ahead, I would :p

I wear Men’s ballet slippers, for me they are great. I have while wearing them: gotten water, did my town stuff, privy breaks, & a few other things. I suppose they could double as emergency hiking shoes, but I would have to be very careful.
They are made of very thin leather, almost like dress glove leather, with a strip of fairly heavy (welding glove) leather as the sole. Haven’t had the chance to use them for river / creek crossing but with the rough leather bottoms my bet is they should work fine. Weight of the pair is 3 Oz, that is 1.5 Oz per shoe! And they fold small enough to fit the pair into a sandwich size zip lock. Actually, I could probably get 2 pair easily into that size zip lock.
AND, they are fairly sturdy: they have endured about 30 days on the trail after doing 9 “Washer Wench” shows (long story, at the Oho Ren. Fest.) where I was thrown into water that was almost 40% Chlorine shock treatment (the stuff ate my other pair of shoes by the 3rd show)

Doctari.

Hikerman
03-03-2004, 21:46
Hi Doctari, they may be great for you. That's all that really matters, right!
Not something I would brag about though. :)
Hikerman

smokymtnsteve
03-03-2004, 21:50
yea it most be awful for doctari to hang out with ballerinas..poor guy

firefly
03-04-2004, 10:55
I just got a pair of Crocs form Winton at Neels Gap...I love them...I started hiking in trail shoes this year and now my feet hate hiking boots. I think I will just go with trail shoes..the crocs for camp shoes..and take 3 pairs of socks to rotate out.

Mr. Clean
03-05-2004, 13:36
Are Waldies those suede and rubber mocs, sandals, those surf runners, or something else? Never heard of them.

azchipka
03-05-2004, 14:14
Alrighty i know the weight police are going to have a field day with this one. But foot wear by far the highest weight catagory of every thing I have in my pack.

I bring a total of 3 pairs of foot wear in my pack and I have a additional pair in my bounce box.

Boots......when i say boots i mean boots......total weight 3 Lb 4.2 oz
Very comfortable, waterproof,up to the ankle and breathable above, has
about a 2" thick base.

Tiva's......ummm there tivas......weight 1.8 Lbs

Down Slippers if rubber base....these are the best thing in the world, warm
and great for around the camp. They compress down into a zip lock
and have a weight of just over 4oz

Total Weight in footware just over 5Lbs!!!!! :datz

I also keep a pair of street shoes in my bonce box.

So yes i vote for camp shoes.

deeddawg
03-05-2004, 14:18
Are Waldies those suede and rubber mocs, sandals, those surf runners, or something else? Never heard of them.
Nope, they're sort of a molded squishy plastic.

See http://www.crocs.com/ for info on Crocs which are essentially Waldies with a strap in the back. Waldies are sometimes sold as "comfort clogs" too. Also check out http://www.noc.com/ss/wkfootwr.htm

tlbj6142
03-05-2004, 15:12
Which Croc model is the lightest? I assume the Nile. I always hated the idea of waddles as they were backless, but with that strap, crocs should be nice.

Any comments on the various Croc models? I assume the strap streaches a bit to adjust for various sizes.

deeddawg
03-05-2004, 17:02
Which Croc model is the lightest? I assume the Nile. I always hated the idea of waddles as they were backless, but with that strap, crocs should be nice.

Any comments on the various Croc models? I assume the strap streaches a bit to adjust for various sizes.I have a pair of what appears to be the "beach" model that I bought at Walasi-Yi in January. The strap will stretch a bit, but doesn't seem to need to -- it serves more to just make sure the Croc doesn't come off than it does to push your foot into the Croc. I'm not being clear, I mean it doesn't really come up tight to your ankle like the rear strap on a set of Tevas would. At least it doesn't on my feet.

Nile would probably be lightest, don't know for sure. I honestly hadn't heard of Crocs before seeing them at Walasi-Yi. However, since I do a lot of outdoor stuff with Scouts, all my footwear has to be closed-toe due to Scouting regs.

My pair of size 10-11 weighs 12.7 oz total per my digital scale. IMHO, they are well worth their weight and incredibly comfortable.

-- Lew

steve hiker
03-06-2004, 14:10
Here's my take on the Crocs. They look great. I'd love to have a pair to wear around the house. Would I buy a pair, either to use a camp shoes or house sandals? No. Here's why.

First, the Crocs weigh 10 oz/pair. That's too much extra pack weight for camp shoes, in my opinion. There are many alternatives out there that weigh far less. For example, I recently ordered and used (on a section hike) swimmers shoes that weigh less than 2 oz/pair.

Second, the Crocs cost $25/pair. And that's the model without the support strap (which is $30/pair). By contrast, the swimmers shoes from Sprint Aquatics cost only $3.99/pair. And you can go to K-Mart or just about anyplace else and get flipflops for far less than $25.

So, I'd love to have a pair of Crocs, but at 10 onces and $25 a pair, they look like a crock to me.

Footslogger
03-06-2004, 15:04
Here's my take on the Crocs. They look great. I'd love to have a pair to wear around the house. Would I buy a pair, either to use a camp shoes or house sandals? No. Here's why.

First, the Crocs weigh 10 oz/pair. That's too much extra pack weight for camp shoes, in my opinion. There are many alternatives out there that weigh far less. For example, I recently ordered and used (on a section hike) swimmers shoes that weigh less than 2 oz/pair.

Second, the Crocs cost $25/pair. And that's the model without the support strap (which is $30/pair). By contrast, the swimmers shoes from Sprint Aquatics cost only $3.99/pair. And you can go to K-Mart or just about anyplace else and get flipflops for far less than $25.

So, I'd love to have a pair of Crocs, but at 10 onces and $25 a pair, they look like a crock to me.
Everything you said is correct ...but here's another thought. Those "swimmers shoes" won't cushion your feet from rocks and sharp twigs around the campsite AND, maybe even more important, they aren't worth a flip as a second pair of shoes when you're in a town. I tried the "swimmer shoe" approach on my thru-hike in 2003. I first switched to a light weight pair of shower shoes that I found at a Wal-mart along the trail. However, by the time I got to Gatlinburg in the Smokies I had all I could take with those too. I bought a pair of "Waldies" (just like the Crocks) for $19 at the Happyy Hiker outfitter in Gatlinburg and carrie them all the way to Katahdin. They still had a lot of life left in them and I now wear them around the house.

Go with what you feel will work best for you ...but don't expect too much comfort or life span out of the "swimmer shoes"

Kerosene
03-07-2004, 13:21
Another drawback to the "swimmer shoes" is that they don't give you any protection from cold mud around the campsite. In the spring and fall (aka, "shoulder seasons") you're likely to need socks on your feet that you'll want to keep out of the mud and puddles. Swimmer shoes are little more than a thin footbed with mesh to hold them on your foot.

A drawback of the Crocs/Waldies/Comfort Clogs besides the 10-11 ounce weight (which is still 6+ ounces lighter than most open sandals) is that they take up a lot of space in your pack (especially when you have big feet).

Miss Janet
03-07-2004, 13:57
this is one instance where cheap lightweight crap is my choice. for less $5 and less than 4 ozs you cannot beat it. many times you want to bring some item for confort but these things add up. you must take care of your feet! these cheap flip flops are no good to hike in, but you can pull into camp and take off your boots.

reasons for cheap flops:
dry feet out. (a must)
keep feet somewhat clean
glass,metal caps, sharp small rocks from cutting feet at camp
wear in shower at hostels(cuts down on athletes foot)
wear to laundry mat
not for fording rivers, for afterwards
and many more i cant think of :)

do i like tevas?yes
can i afford to cary an extra pound? maybe
can i afford to cary 3 extra ozs? absolutly

magic

Doctari
03-07-2004, 14:24
I just realised that I didn't actually answer the question of "are camp shoes worth it?"
Well, I didn't answer directly ;) My answer is a resounding Yes!!

And as to hanging around Balarenas, yea, what a problem, great looking women who are in fantastic shape and can do the splits for hours, oh yes, I'm so depressed :clap

Actually, I don't hang round the ballet, I just wear the shoes in camp :banana

Doctari.

Mr. Clean
03-07-2004, 17:39
I've been reading about them but never knew what they were. And they are comfortable? I usually take my Tevas with me, or bare feet when I do overnights, but the Waldies might be worth looking into.