PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay when you get to Palmerton, PA

Kulliman
03-09-2018, 12:43
Any good, but cheap places to stay when you get to Palmerton, PA (Lehigh Gap) before the big climb up the hill? It looks like the George W. Outbridge Shelter is in shambles do to it being too close to town and frequented by vagrants. I'm thinking that if I can't find a place to stay, I would go from Eckville helter to Bakeoven Shelter one day (17.4 miles) and then Bakeoven Shelter to Leroy A. Smith Shelter the next day (23.5). That 23.5 miles just seems like a long haul with that steep rocky uphill climb. I kind of wanted some time to resupply in Palmerton, too.

jj dont play
03-09-2018, 13:05
That climb is tough but after that it is smooth sailing I remember doing a pretty big day out of Outerbridge. If you took it easy on the climb and started early the 23.5 should be doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
03-09-2018, 13:45
Any good, but cheap places to stay .

Let me know when you find said place IMO it doesn't exist. You get what you pay for. I have heard good things about berts steakhouse though. Unfortunately I wont know bc I am starting 5 miles nobo of there and heading south, I wont lay eyes on the town of Palmerton. The rocks from Palmerton nobo are pretty rough IMO but I will be more accurate in the difficulty of PA rocks as a whole when I complete the state in july

Kulliman
03-09-2018, 13:57
Let me know when you find said place IMO it doesn't exist. You get what you pay for. I have heard good things about berts steakhouse though. Unfortunately I wont know bc I am starting 5 miles nobo of there and heading south, I wont lay eyes on the town of Palmerton. The rocks from Palmerton nobo are pretty rough IMO but I will be more accurate in the difficulty of PA rocks as a whole when I complete the state in july

I’ve heard Bert's Steakhouse & Restaurant lets thru hikers stay in the garage in the back of the restaurant, but I have not found any place online to verify - no email address. You could call and ask. tel:+16108269921

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-09-2018, 16:51
I stayed at Bert's Steakhouse two years ago. The owner had just opened up the garage and put in a shower out back for hikers since she was upset with the town closing the "jail".

Hopefully she has had the garage cleaned out and some bunks installed, it was pretty rough when I stayed there, but hey, for $5 I could not complain.

Night Train
03-09-2018, 21:20
Stay anywhere you want.

Durunner
03-09-2018, 21:32
If you just need a tent site, there is one by the Delps Trail. Small area, but can fit a few tents. Spring there is a bit of a ways down. Runs well in spring usually, but dries in summer. There are a couple small dry tent sites near Smith Gap Road. At that point though, should probably just go to the 4 more miles to the shelter.

Emerson Bigills
03-09-2018, 23:02
There was actually a small hostel there in May of this year right behind the steakhouse, almost directly in front of the garage. In fact the hostel was full and they let us sleep in the garage and use the shower/bathroom. Nice folks. We also had a bad experience at the Outerbridge shelter with a passed out (drugs) vagrant. There were about 8 of us that ended up moving on because it just didn't feel right.

I will also add that the next night we stayed at Leroy Smith shelter. Had to deal with a porcupine that visited the shelter about 3 times that night and woke us up each time, plus a big Timber Rattler at the shelter fire pit that was very agitated. Did not sleep well that night. Great memories.