PDA

View Full Version : Chacos? Straight up

The River Weasel
02-12-2006, 01:33
I am planfing a thru-hike This season and I am wondering if I should use Chacos. I am a white water raft guide and one of the most loyal Chaco fans there is. I am using trail shoes now but im not sure if I should use Chaco or not. Any advice?

hammock engineer
02-12-2006, 02:04
Same thing I am thinking about. I war mine a lot, and love them too. What is your pack weight? Under 30 should be fine. Looking at photos on this site and talking to people, a lot of people are seitching to chacos.

MedicineMan
02-12-2006, 02:07
as camp shoes they are lead
as hiking shoes i've seen several thru-hikers using/loving them...
hamockhanger is a pro on the topic, consult her

Cheesewhiz
02-12-2006, 09:23
I plan on starting with mine and seal skinz socks.

Tha Wookie
02-12-2006, 10:59
I used them for most of the trail, but I also carried shoes for most of the way. Here's the challenges:

ankle protection: I actually believe that wearing sandals strengthens your ankles, and is safer for a well-condition ankle than one that depends on a boot. You also become far more careful in foot placement while stepping. After hundreds of miles, you can do this easily without always watching the trail under you.

dry feet: The plus is that your feet won't stink as bad as other hikers (but they will still stink), but the minus is your feet can get extremely dry. This very often results in heel and toe cracking, which can be very painful after a while, even to the point of drawing blood. To prevent this, wear socks at times, and at night apply foot salve to dry areas and cover with a clean sock.

durability: In my experience, chacos last for 700 miles, while I usually get 400-500 miles out of Montrail trail runners. The cavaet for durability is that you "floss" your chacos by running the strap back and forth through the slit holes to periodically clear debris that with abraise the strap. If you don't ever do this, your straps will probably break before the soles wear thru.

stick jabbings: On occasion, I've had painful moments where I step on a small twig with one foot heel, and then kick it right in between my toes with my other foot. That hurts. It never happens to me when I wear socks or stepp carefully.

snow: seal skins could help, but if you're in snow above the ankles, I'd advise to carry shoes for any possible case like this. walking through snow can be dreadfully cold with Chacos. I did it on the Colorado Trail, using neoprene socks. My feet were like frozen hamburger.

Will all that being said, I think Chacos are a great way to go. The air flow, the ease of removal, the comfort, the stream crossings, the tan feet, etc. are great. The best part is the feel of the trail. It is greatly enhanced.

I advise taking shoes with you at first, and wearing them for a couple miles in your day, so not to shock you feet. After you become a sandle master, then tep it up and try to take off the sandles for several miles and walk barefoot. The closer you get to the trail the better;)

Cheesewhiz
02-12-2006, 12:48
We just got hammered with snow! So what! I was just outside shoveling snow, 15 inches of it. IN MY CHACOS! I was wearing my chacos with my seal skinz socks and a pair of smartwool light hiker wool socks under and my feet felt great. The only thing that gets kinda annoying is how snow builds up under your toes when walking through it. I also agree with Wookie in that the closer you are to the trail the better it feels to be a hiker

Tinker
02-12-2006, 13:08
They don't fit my low volume, flat feet, even with the supplied orthotic insoles (which I've removed for use in other shoes - would buy them seperately if available).

Will give away a size 11 pair of lightly used Beckwiths (without orthotics), to anyone willing to pay shipping. (Cost me $100. at Sierra Trading Post). Too much volume for my feet, and a shade too short.

Cheesewhiz
02-12-2006, 13:20
BOOTS, Nah! I'd rather not.

Cheesewhiz
02-12-2006, 13:51
Here I am last weekend doing 20 miles in 20* weather in chaco SANDALS!

But carried my trail runners for camp.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=542&stc=1&d=1139766864

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=547&stc=1&d=1139810074

PKH
02-12-2006, 14:09
I have never done a long distance hike in Chacos, so I can't comment on durability. But over the past year and a half I've been completing a long term experiment on hiking in sandals, and I'm a believer now. I started out on easy trails and logging roads and progressed to increasingly rough and wild country, and I now wear my Chacos over terrain and conditions that I wouldn't have believed possible, including several inches of snow. Generally I am barefoot, but sometimes I will wear a thin liner or sealskinz - mostly for warmth. I agree with Tha Wookie as to the advisability of carrying some salve or foot balm. Your feet will certainly dry out and crack.

One thing I would recommend is thoroughly breaking your feet into the sandals you intend to use on your hike. All that is required is to wear them pretty well exclusively for a month or so before your start date.

Cheers,

PKH

SnackMan
02-12-2006, 14:23
Wore Keens for 1500 miles and sent em home as they were still good! Although a little heavier, they offer extreemly well protected toes, and some hardcore soles. As stated above, if you have seal skin or something for big cold, rock it out. Never caried camp shoes. gogo lightweight.

Whistler
02-12-2006, 21:16
Chacos are comfortable, and sandals in general can be a great way to go if you know how to manage, but Chacos are really heavy. I like a lighter shoe for extended use.
-Mark

The River Weasel
02-12-2006, 23:56
If The Wookie likes them then i think i will give them a try. I dont know if anyone has seen the new 2006 Chacos but they have some that the strap is split inhalf. Its interesting but i was wondering if that would cause more rubbing.

Thanks for all the advice. see you in the hills.

RITBlake
02-12-2006, 23:59
we saw plenty of thru hikers in Chacos. Some wore socks, some didn't. I could never do it, stubbed my toes way to often. Big advantage - less blisters, no drying time cons - feet exposed to rocks roots, less protection weird looking?

squirrel bait
02-13-2006, 01:49
Tinker, tried to contact you via email/private message but no luck. Are the Beckwith's female boots? If not I am interested. Contact me thru WB here. Thank you. As I have found out the with more hiking my feet have grown.