PDA

View Full Version : How do you pack your tent poles?

PR Man
03-09-2018, 22:31
I use an MSR "Hubba" "Fast & Light" setup and really like it - but

The fly poles are too long to really fit in my pack without a problem.

I dont' want to pack them "on top" of my pack - because it's a nuisance to deal with
every time I want to get into my pack. ( Plus I'm afraid I'll set it down and forget it )

If I strap it to the bottom of my pack - I'm afraid I'll bend them ( they're aluminum ).''

My pack doesn't have "side pockets"

Anybody ever figure out a solution to this?

Burrhead
03-09-2018, 23:09
If the pack has sleeping pad straps that would be where I would try. If that doesn't work, putting them inside on the left and right side is the only thing I can think of.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2018, 23:13
I carry my tent poles in my hands - their also my trekking poles.

The best solution might be to add a small pocket on the bottom side of the pack to hold the bottom of the poles and add a strap at near the top of the side to hold them in place. Maybe just an elastic band.

What brand/model pack do you have?

Dogwood
03-09-2018, 23:25
Does your pack have any pockets on the outside or load stabilizer side straps?, how about bladder tube openings? how about D rings or exterior bungee or places to rig up a bungee cinch system for storing the tent poles vertically? If not that sounds like a real minamalist maybe small volume pack?

nsherry61
03-09-2018, 23:44
If I didn't want to pack them inside my pack vertically, I'd probably strap them vertically to the outside of the pack either on the side or the back. You just have to experiment with the best way to strap them on, likely inside a long skinning stuff sack if they are not already in one.

Venchka
03-10-2018, 01:54
I have the MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX and a ULA Catalyst. I carried the pole assembly in the right outside pocket and secured by the compression straps. The fly and tent body were in the same pocket secured by the compression straps.
Wayne

DownEaster
03-10-2018, 04:01
Most packs these days come with compression straps. You can tuck the poles under the straps and then pull the straps tight. The downside is that you'll need to shift your poles every time you open or close the pack.

Venchka
03-10-2018, 09:07
Most packs these days come with compression straps. You can tuck the poles under the straps and then pull the straps tight. The downside is that you'll need to shift your poles every time you open or close the pack.
Not if the pack has compression straps on the side. I never need to fiddle with the straps on the ULA Catalyst or Dana Design Terraplane.
Wayne

Bronk
03-10-2018, 10:01
Some tents that I've had I fold the tent and then roll the poles up in the middle of it and then strap it to the outside of my pack. This way you don't have to worry about a stuff sack for the tent. Some people don't like to fold tents, so if you're one of those people this might not be for you.

Starchild
03-10-2018, 10:22
It's something you have to work out for what works for you, see what others do and see how it works. I roll up my tent poles in my tent at times, other times I carry it in the water bladder part of my pack (which I don't use for water), other times on the side of the main compartment.

Slo-go'en
03-10-2018, 10:23
Some tents that I've had I fold the tent and then roll the poles up in the middle of it and then strap it to the outside of my pack. This way you don't have to worry about a stuff sack for the tent. Some people don't like to fold tents, so if you're one of those people this might not be for you.

Just be sure the poles don't slide out the middle of the bundle. That happened to me and I lost a couple of irreplaceable poles, making the tent useless. Had to buy another tent while on the trail. The tent bundle was in a stuff sack, but the open end didn't cinch closed real tight. The tent was strapped sideways at the bottom of the pack, but somehow the poles wiggled out and I didn't notice.

Venchka
03-10-2018, 10:39
The MSR HUBBA Series of tents have a single multijointed pole frame for lack of a better term. The poles are shipped in a long narrow sack. All 4 components fit in a rectangular sack. The entire 2 person Hubba Hubba NX tent rode nicely in one of the side pockets and secured by the horizontal compression straps of the ULA Catalyst.
Wayne

Shrewd
03-10-2018, 11:03
I put them in one of the side pockets and secure them with one of the compression straps

Unless I’m hammocking, of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
03-10-2018, 11:20
Lashed and in side pocket

Rain Man
03-10-2018, 11:30
Don't be afraid to modify your pack as needed. Be inventive. Sew on straps. Tie on shock cords. Burn a hole in the lid or side. Just think outside the box the pack came in, ... so to speak.

P.S. Am I in the running for 'best suggestion wins a weekend' at your place on Myrtle Beach?!!! :D

:banana

MuddyWaters
03-10-2018, 16:56
I use an MSR "Hubba" "Fast & Light" setup and really like it - but

The fly poles are too long to really fit in my pack without a problem.

I dont' want to pack them "on top" of my pack - because it's a nuisance to deal with
every time I want to get into my pack. ( Plus I'm afraid I'll set it down and forget it )

If I strap it to the bottom of my pack - I'm afraid I'll bend them ( they're aluminum ).''

My pack doesn't have "side pockets"

Anybody ever figure out a solution to this?

Select gear that works together and fits your needs, is how most handle it.

Change pack or tent if it dont work to your satisfaction.

Or make new tent poles with 1 more joint, and shorter sections so they do fit inside

Gear belongs inside of packs

Franco
03-10-2018, 18:24
If you tell us what pack you have , someone could come up with a solution.
My way is to have the tent across the top. I avoid the "forget the tent there " in two ways :
1) I have the stuff sack strap connected to one of the pack straps
2) when I leave the stop site, I walk a few meters away then walk back and take a look to see if I have left anything there.

HooKooDooKu
03-11-2018, 00:05
I put the poles in the tent stuff sack, stuff the tent in the sack, then lash the tent to the sleeping pad straps, making sure the poles are NOT towards the bottom of the sack once lashed on.

The only issue I've ever had with a tent lashed to straps at the bottom of the pack was I obviously rubbed the pack on a rock with the tent poles towards the ground. Didn't damage the poles, but rubbed a hole in the stuff sack. Since then, I make sure the poles aren't located somewhere they could damage the stuff sack again.

For long term storage, I usually fold the tent and roll it up with the poles in the middle before sliding it into the stuff sack. This takes longer (hence the reason I don't do it anymore on the trail) but would add an extra layer of protection to the poles if you're particularly paranoid about it.

Leo L.
03-11-2018, 07:00
I have the Huhbba Hubba NX and usually pack the tent in the bottom compartment of the pack, but the poles separate, vertically under one of the compression strap sets on the side of the pack.
For extra safety I slip the original MSR slim and flimsy sack for the poles into another sack I've made my own out of lightweigth housewrap, which includes a cord Loop that I hook into a small biner attatched to the top of the pack.
I really don't want to lose these MSR poles, which are delicately made in a way you can't substitute them in a field repair.
(Remember - as soon as you take a rest and open the pack to unload anything substantial, the side compression straps will loosen and the poles might slip out).

PR Man
03-13-2018, 20:05
Rain Man -

I read a lot of your posts.

Tell you what - you can come to my house this summer and I'll take you fishing.

Then - some day - you can show me around Nashville. I've never been there.

Thanks,

Rain Man
03-14-2018, 14:59
Then - some day - you can show me around Nashville. I've never been there.

Better come on up sooner rather than later! Might be retiring back to SC in the next few years.

:)