PDA

View Full Version : Shanendoah Section Hike

Analog_Kidd
03-10-2018, 11:23
My 15 YO grandson has spring break starting April 1st and wants to do a section hike on the AT. We want to do a trip that goes 5 days / 4 nights about 60 miles. He really wants to do Grayson Highlands area (Damascus to Mt Rogers Ranger station), and so do I, and that is the plan that we are currently shooting for. However, I'm really worried about the cold there at that time. It could be hit or miss. Either really pleasant, or really miserable, or both.

So, I'm looking for a backup plan, and heard that Shanendoah was a really nice section. The elevation is a little more conducive to better temperatures, even tho it is a bit further North. I really don't want to be anywhere near the GA, NC, TN section at this time, just to avoid crowds. He lives in West Virginia, so a Virginia destination also makes sense for that reason.

So, if I use the Shanendoah area as a backup plan, where would the best start and finish locations be? I want the best bang for the buck for sights and scenery.

Or, should I be looking at a different section?

Thanks in advance,
AK

Slo-go'en
03-10-2018, 14:23
Well, anywhere you go April 1st could be iffy this year.

The 10 day forecast for Luray, VA (mid way through the SNP) shows 60F/30F for the H/L and 70% chance of rain on March 18th and 19th.
Meanwhile, the next 10 days look miserable down in Marion, VA which implies it will be down right nasty up in the highlands. April 19th forecast is for 57/32 and 90% rain in town. Since the 19th is cooler then the 18th, that would indicate a cold front pushing in, so the last week of March could be quite chilly.

Assuming we stay in about a 7 day weather cycle, another rain cycle would be starting around April 1st.

That's the way I see it. It could turn nice, but in early April your going to have at least a couple of bad days during the 5. The only question is do they come at the beginning, the middle or the end?

With all the rain and snow the AT has gotten this spring, expect it to really sloppy too. It will take a while to dry out in low areas.

Coffee
03-10-2018, 15:13
It might be slightly more than 60 miles but Swift Run Gap to Front Royal includes very nice segments and you will pass several developed areas with waysides that open late March.

Analog_Kidd
03-11-2018, 20:38
I still may consider Shenandoah as a summertime or Fall trip. What are the typical entry and exit points for this section?

Coffee
03-11-2018, 21:09
I still may consider Shenandoah as a summertime or Fall trip. What are the typical entry and exit points for this section?
For the section I suggested above, Swift Run gap is on US 33 between Stanardsville and Elkton and it is a major access point to Shenandoah National Park.

On the northern end, you have two choices to reach Front Royal. First, you can stick to the AT. You'll leave the park and end up at US 522 a few miles south of Front Royal. Alternatively, leave the AT at Compton Gap and take the well signed Dickey Ridge Trail toward Front Royal. This trail ends at the northern end of SNP which is about a mile road walk from Front Royal. I've done both and if ending in Front Royal, I'd opt for the Dickey Ridge trail. You pass by a visitor's center on the way with nice views to the west although no food is sold there it is nice for a break. The Dickey Ridge trail is about 10 miles. It is less than that if you stick to the AT and end up at 522, but then you have to either walk into town from there or hitch a ride.

Elaikases
03-11-2018, 22:09
Well, anywhere you go April 1st could be iffy this year.

The 10 day forecast for Luray, VA (mid way through the SNP) shows 60F/30F for the H/L and 70% chance of rain on March 18th and 19th.
Meanwhile, the next 10 days look miserable down in Marion, VA which implies it will be down right nasty up in the highlands. April 19th forecast is for 57/32 and 90% rain in town. Since the 19th is cooler then the 18th, that would indicate a cold front pushing in, so the last week of March could be quite chilly.

Assuming we stay in about a 7 day weather cycle, another rain cycle would be starting around April 1st.

That's the way I see it. It could turn nice, but in early April your going to have at least a couple of bad days during the 5. The only question is do they come at the beginning, the middle or the end?

With all the rain and snow the AT has gotten this spring, expect it to really sloppy too. It will take a while to dry out in low areas.

Though a hike destined to end at Luray would give you several places you could stop and sleep in beds or hide from bad weather.

Elaikases
03-11-2018, 22:11
https://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/inn-to-inn-hikes-on-the-a-ta99ad66668ce6efcb07bff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrsn=0

The Inn-to-Inn guide includes part of the Shenandoahs as one option. Worth considering as a part of the hike you do.

RevDrDan
03-11-2018, 23:51
Shenandoah is probably a good shot. It crosses skyline drive many times, and there are places to stay if you get wet or tired. Starting at Rockfish gap, you get to loft mountain, then big meadows then Skyland. However go to the Shenandoah webpage. The trail may be closed near skyland. They have some alerts about down trees etc through portions of the trail due to severe winds in early March 2018. They are also recommending to boil/treat some of the water due to ground water contamination.
(I use a sweet water filter) There are plenty of places at rest/fuel stops to buy food at their grill if you run low on food. There are plenty of shuttle services in Shenandoah.

RevDrDan. www.smithfieldbaptist.org