PDA

View Full Version : State Line Trail Alternative?

HikerHarris
03-11-2018, 16:18
Hello: I will be hiking the from the NJ/NY line next weekend. I did this section once before and was not thrilled with the State Line Trail. Does anyone here know if there is another trail or way to get to the AT at the NJ/NY line at Greenwood Lake?

Thanks!

Rain Man
03-11-2018, 16:59
I looked into that when I was being slack-packed through there. I think you're out of luck. I gave up on the idea. All the same, here's hoping for you.

somers515
03-11-2018, 17:12
I'm curious what you don't like about the State Line Trail. Anyway to answer your question yes there are other trails you can take to get you close to the AT NJ/NY border but none are as direct as the State Line Trail. I haven't taken the Quail Trail or Bearfort Ridge Trail so I can't speak about them but I did enjoy the Ernest Walter Trail. If this link doesn't work for you just google trail maps for the Abram Hewitt State Forest. Good luck and report back and tell us how your hike went!

http://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/maps/AbramHewittFinalDraft_reduced_Area_broc.pdf

Starchild
03-11-2018, 17:14
There is a nice trail from the town of Greenwood lake up to the AT Ridgeline which is a bit into NY , but an alternative which is a better trail.

tdoczi
03-11-2018, 18:01
the warwick turnpike crossing of the AT in NJ is 2.5 miles from the state line.

the state line trail is.... about a mile i think.

thats probably the most comparable alternative as far as distance.

the village vista trail is 4 miles beyond the state line into NY

starting at the southern end of bearfort ridge is over 3 miles

one cant help but wonder.... just how bad can a mile trail be? i havent hiked the state line trail in years, dont recall it being memorable one way or the other

Dogwood
03-11-2018, 18:11
There is a nice trail from the town of Greenwood lake up to the AT Ridgeline which is a bit into NY , but an alternative which is a better trail.

I've descended on this but it was like 11 yrs ago. It was overgrown in a few spots with grass clumps and shrubs and eroded at that time with some loose grapefruit size rocks. It was in a heavy rain. After some slips I was glad to be off it. I chose a paved road walk to get back to the AT.

The view over Greenwood Lake on the AT was always appealing to me.

linus72
03-11-2018, 19:07
we did it last year. really wasn't bad at all... though it was a dry, clear day...

Knee Jerk
03-11-2018, 19:41
I live about five miles away and, yes there are at least two other alternatives: There is the Village Vista trail which climbs up to the AT from behind the soccer fields in Greenwood Lake and there is a blue-blazed trail that goes up to near Prospect Rock from the western side in Warwick, near the Cascade Lake town park.

But right now there is at least 18 inches of snow up on Bearfort Ridge and when it starts melting it's going to be a real mess. I was up on the AT on the other side of Route 17A on Feb. 26 and some parts of the trail were under 8 inches of water due the rainfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVMTjHHcgzU

Slo-go'en
03-11-2018, 20:21
With another snow storm due to hit the area tomorrow with significant snow, hiking in that area next weekend would be ill-advised. Don't rush the season, wait a bit.