PDA

View Full Version : Starting After April 15

sadlowskiadam
03-11-2018, 20:13
I started my 2013 thru hiker very late on April 28 and had a very great experience (although fairly isolated early on). I plan on starting thru hike #2 right after April 15th. What are hikers looking at at this time of the hiker season? Shelters full? Shuttles busy? Are there other thru hikers to bond and hike with long term? Any insights will be appreciated.

soumodeler
03-11-2018, 20:25
Still pretty busy. Good chance shelters will still be full. No worries about nobody to talk to. Shuttles probably busier with more section hikers.

fastfoxengineering
03-11-2018, 20:28
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration/2018-thru-hiker-registration-charts

Everything depends on how fast/slow you hike. If your a fast hiker right out of the gate you could potentially catch and pass the bubble.

See you on the trail

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

fiddlehead
03-11-2018, 20:46
I started my thru on May 9 in '95.
I remember passing many partying thru hikers, who pretty much knew they weren't going to make it the whole way, but were out there for the fun and partying.
Of course, now it's 20 some years later, but I would bet you'll still see many of those.
I made it, by the way, and finished on Katahdin on Oct 14th that year.

Thefurther
03-11-2018, 21:43
I started my 2013 thru hiker very late on April 28 and had a very great experience (although fairly isolated early on). I plan on starting thru hike #2 right after April 15th. What are hikers looking at at this time of the hiker season? Shelters full? Shuttles busy? Are there other thru hikers to bond and hike with long term? Any insights will be appreciated.
it is definitely a busy time . the section hikers are ready to bust some miles off and thru hikers are still flowing pretty good . soon as the weather breaks it gets crazy here in the mountains .

Slo-go'en
03-11-2018, 21:56
Last year I got on at Springer April 29th and it was still really busy.

Dogwood
03-11-2018, 22:17
Mice...hiker box goodies...more blooms...warmer temps... even greater beaten tread...rain...trashed fire rings...more stragglers...greater number of unfocused thrus...even greater stank

If I was to do another AT NOBO I'd start late April -early May ready to rip from the get go hike through the masses avoid shelters for the most part go SUL get to Mt K well ahead of the bubble and either Yo Yo, do a IAT, jump on the North Country Tr WEBO to begin a long section to about Michigan/Wisconsin, or jump to an early fall AZT SOBO. I'd then go to Hawaii for the winter surfing and hiking.

I hate wasting being in LD form going immediately back to off trail life. I luv to stack.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-12-2018, 10:17
I’m starting around 4/6 and will avoid the crowds as much as I’m able. I figure hiking with headphones will be a deterrent and avoiding shelters where possible will be a good idea. How far north do you have to get before attrition thins the herd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thefurther
03-12-2018, 10:46
I’m starting around 4/6 and will avoid the crowds as much as I’m able. I figure hiking with headphones will be a deterrent and avoiding shelters where possible will be a good idea. How far north do you have to get before attrition thins the herd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk soon as you pass winding stair it will thin out a bit . there is a lot of tourist spots in ga so it is a bit more congested . if you just hike and stay to yourself you will be all good . enjoy your hike brother one step at a time and cherish the experience my friend . you may never get it again . the trail is a magical place to be and will offer many different experiences . you might find some cool people to talk to a set up camp at night . you might want to be alone and think , it is all you brother . i hope you find what you are searching for out here . peace and love my friend and good luck on your journey . donald " grateful " ballard

jj dont play
03-12-2018, 10:57
2016 I started April 18. It was pretty busy! 18 of us were dropped off from the hiker hostel that am. Most shelters filling up, especially if rainy. But found a good group and hiked solid miles to stay ahead of the bubble for the Smokies and didn’t have trouble getting shelter space.

Dogwood
03-12-2018, 11:51

This is the #1 reason why I've had close calls being bitten by rattlesnakes on the AT.

I've been aware enough myself to take them off at road crossings but I've witnessed others who were not who if it wasn't for others would have ended their hikes being struck or killed by a motorist.

It's good to be aware of sounds from others coming from behind especially with dogs too on the AT. it's wise to be aware of appoaching stock and elsewhere MBers

I had to remove them on the AT

TheMidlifeHiker
03-12-2018, 11:52
soon as you pass winding stair it will thin out a bit . there is a lot of tourist spots in ga so it is a bit more congested . if you just hike and stay to yourself you will be all good . enjoy your hike brother one step at a time and cherish the experience my friend . you may never get it again . the trail is a magical place to be and will offer many different experiences . you might find some cool people to talk to a set up camp at night . you might want to be alone and think , it is all you brother . i hope you find what you are searching for out here . peace and love my friend and good luck on your journey . donald " grateful " ballard

Thank you!

TheMidlifeHiker
03-12-2018, 12:39
This is the #1 reason why I've had close calls being bitten by rattlesnakes on the AT.

I've been aware enough myself to take them off at road crossings but I've witnessed others who were not who if it wasn't for others would have ended their hikes being struck or killed by a motorist.

It's good to be aware of sounds from others coming from behind especially with dogs too on the AT. it's wise to be aware of appoaching stock and elsewhere MBers

I had to remove them on the AT

All good points... and there’s something to be said for hearing your natural surroundings just because. I don’t tend to listen very loudly and also have headphones that let in ambient noise rather than seal it out. That said, gotta pay attention!

Thefurther
03-12-2018, 12:45
Thank you!

you are welcome brother ..... travel safely buddy .... peace

towerclimber727
03-13-2018, 17:06
I started my 2013 thru hiker very late on April 28 and had a very great experience (although fairly isolated early on). I plan on starting thru hike #2 right after April 15th. What are hikers looking at at this time of the hiker season? Shelters full? Shuttles busy? Are there other thru hikers to bond and hike with long term? Any insights will be appreciated.Have you thought about trying a flip flop? The ATC is trying to get more people to go this route as it lessens the impact of those huge bubbles.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk