PDA

View Full Version : Rain pants

TheMidlifeHiker
03-12-2018, 14:10
Necessary / helpful / waste of ounces?

Trying to decide if I should carry them.

Discuss. :)

AllDownhillFromHere
03-12-2018, 14:14
In warmer weather, no. Keep your stuff dry, and hike until you hit shelter.

kestral
03-12-2018, 14:29
In cold weather, wind pants to help you stay warm, and in cold mist or full on cold rain, priceless.

in warm or hot weather, steam suit while hiking, can be nice around a rainy camp, good to wear on laundry day.

i have an old pair of marmot rain pants. Have held up well, not esp lightweight. Depends on expected weather if I bring or not.

moldy
03-12-2018, 15:47
On a long section hike or a thru hike they are good to have in heavy weather. They can also act as a back up and you have something to help make a pillow from and they give you something to put on when doing laundry. Bring them along.

putts
03-12-2018, 15:58
My Precip pants are worth every ounce to me. I take them in all 4 seasons. They have proven to be a very versatile piece of gear for the way I do things.

kestral
03-12-2018, 17:22
I made a rain kilt out of two turkey oven roaster bags, some packing tape and crossed fingers. Great for warm rain over shorts, weigh 1.5 oz. a good addition to prevent unwelcome steaming on warm / hot rainy days. Have held over many trips surprisingly well and pack very small. May be an option for summer if you are not hiking in high country. Cost about 3 dollars at Wally World. Enjoy your hike!

I wore my rain pants on a very cold night over my woolly cresta base layer top and bottoms with rain parka over down vest. Basically every piece of clothing I had. I had packed my summer bag by mistake. Dog chipped in with body heat shared and a potential disaster was avoided. Hard freeze that night, est temp per weather ap was 15 degrees, unexpectedly cold for feb in north Georgia. Went to bed shivering, woke up snuggly warm. Made morning coffee while still in bag.Live and learn. I now ALWAYS pull out bag and double check it痴 the one I need. (I had packed my summer bag (40 degree rated) in my usual winter bag stuff sack). Dumb!

sometimes it痴 nice to have a backup layer.

saltysack
03-12-2018, 17:56
If your confident in your manhood check out these bad boys[emoji38].....~3oz water resistant breathable rip stop nylon....great layer if not looking for hot rain pants or $$$ wind pants...I rarely go without these...thx Mags for the tiphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/f0a92f91eebd093d145ea934689ff8b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMidlifeHiker
03-12-2018, 18:01
I値l have to research a pair then - thanks for the advice!

TheMidlifeHiker
03-12-2018, 19:20
I値l have to research a pair then - thanks for the advice!

Night Train
03-12-2018, 19:39
It's a personal choice, conditions and situations that impact my decision making, may not impact yours at all. Best wishes and happy decision making.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-12-2018, 20:03
Picked up a pair of those pants recently. I'm 6' 180 and I take an XL. Fits pretty decent.

Pony
03-12-2018, 22:36
Only time I ever wore mine was at the laundromat while I was washing the rest of my clothes.

Ethesis
03-12-2018, 23:01
If your confident in your manhood check out these bad boys[emoji38].....~3oz water resistant breathable rip stop nylon....great layer if not looking for hot rain pants or $$$ wind pants...I rarely go without these...thx Mags for the tiphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/f0a92f91eebd093d145ea934689ff8b9.jpg

Thank you the pointer and to those with experience too.

DownEaster
03-13-2018, 01:10
If it's cold and wet, or cold and windy, rain pants are good to have. You can join about half of all hikers out there and start with a Frogg Toggs suit. If it works out for you you're all set, and if not it's a cheap experiment.

MuddyWaters
03-13-2018, 01:17
Depends
If cold or windy...yes.

Sometimes that rain is 48F too even when its warm out at higher el.

I usually always bring basic kit, because my pack is light enough it dont matter.

Deacon
03-13-2018, 07:35
Necessary / helpful / waste of ounces?

Trying to decide if I should carry them.

Discuss. :)

You have to ask yourself where and when you will be hiking.

On most stretches of the AT in summer, pain pants will prove too warm and of little benefit. If however you hike in New England, even in summer, they can come in very handy as you could experience cold rain/sleet any time of year. Early spring and/or fall, I would carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jj dont play
03-13-2018, 09:31
Did not need for my thru. Started with a homemade poly rain kilt and ditched it by the Smokies. Quick drying running shorts were good enough for me

jimmyjam
03-13-2018, 09:49
Frogg Toggs, cheap, repair with duct tape, loose enough to put on without taking off your shoes. Use them as wind pants and laundry clothes.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-13-2018, 18:54
You have to ask yourself where and when you will be hiking.

On most stretches of the AT in summer, pain pants will prove too warm and of little benefit. If however you hike in New England, even in summer, they can come in very handy as you could experience cold rain/sleet any time of year. Early spring and/or fall, I would carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I値l have them until I ditch my winter stuff... don稚 know exactly when that値l be but I値l likely pick up a pair of shorts as an alternate bottom layer with my hiking pants at the same time.

pettas
03-16-2018, 12:00
Have you considered rain chaps instead of full pants? I picked up a pair a few years ago and wore them on a backpacking trip where it was wet and humid. I liked the ability to vent while still keeping my shorts and legs dry. They're definitely a compromise but it might be one that works for you.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Christoph
03-16-2018, 17:10
I didn't take any and I was glad I didn't carry the extra weight (what little it really is). Legs were warm when hiking even when it snowed and when it was raining, everything was wet anyway (not in my pack, but everything else). But everyone's different. I'd try a cheap pair and if you don't like them, you're not out much.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-16-2018, 19:38
Found a pair of Marmot Precips for $80 shipped so I知 going to try those. Had a $50 gift cart so only $30 in the end. We値l see how they work. Worse case, I mail em home :)

Bronk
03-17-2018, 08:38
I usually wear nylon jogging pants I buy at Walmart for $10...sometimes $5 if I find them on sale at the end of the season. They are lightweight and comfortable, can be rinsed out in a sink in a pinch, and they dry really fast...so it doesn't really matter if they get wet in the rain. If they get soaking wet just wring them out and put them back on and they will be dry in 20 minutes.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-17-2018, 09:12
I usually wear nylon jogging pants I buy at Walmart for $10...sometimes $5 if I find them on sale at the end of the season. They are lightweight and comfortable, can be rinsed out in a sink in a pinch, and they dry really fast...so it doesn't really matter if they get wet in the rain. If they get soaking wet just wring them out and put them back on and they will be dry in 20 minutes.

Thanks - if the ones I have wear out, I値l certainly remember this!