PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking out west

Hanger
02-12-2006, 13:29
My spring break is from March 18-26. Some friends and I thought it might be nice to backpack out west for once, because we can get round trip tickets pretty cheap through our school. We are looking for a good 5-6 day trip that won't be too cold, and perferably with places to hang hammocks. So, I guess that rules out the desert. Does anyone here at whiteblaze know of any good trips out west?

One problem we've discovered is transportation once we get off the plane, to the trail head, and then back to the ariport. I have family in Los Gatos, CA (near San Fran) so central California would be a nice place to go, because we could get transportation.

Any help?

Thanks!

Pacific Tortuga
02-12-2006, 16:01
You might want to check out 'The Lost Coast' not sure about how hammock friendly it is, also one of my favorite places is Big Sur in the Ventana Wilderness. I know they have a great 3 day pack trail with hot springs and just hike the coastal area there and stay at a few camping areas.You will encounter rain and fog then hang at the River Inn, always a good time.

PecosBackpacker
02-14-2006, 15:08
You might want to check out 'The Lost Coast' not sure about how hammock friendly it is, also one of my favorite places is Big Sur in the Ventana Wilderness. I know they have a great 3 day pack trail with hot springs and just hike the coastal area there and stay at a few camping areas.You will encounter rain and fog then hang at the River Inn, always a good time.

I'll be doing the LC next month. If you can get transportation to northern CA (It's a good 5-6 hour drive from San Francisco) then go for it. This will be my first time doing this particular trail. I will make a trip report and hopefully add some photos if you are interested. Maybe you can base your decision off of the pics. Problem is though, your Spring Break begins on the 18th but I won't be returning until the 19th. Let me know.

chris
02-14-2006, 15:34
Anything outside of the desert, except for the coast, is going to be buried in snow in March. Better: Leave the hammocks at home and go to the most beautiful place in the US: The Grand Canyon. Weather is more or less ok then, the scenery is unique, and you won't have to fight snow (except right at the top). If you really want to use hammocks (gear dictating trip?), you'll need to be on the coast. North of about Santa Barbara, you could be in for a very wet, very cold experience due to spring rains.

Hanger
02-14-2006, 16:13
Thanks for the replies. Hammocking is kinda a gimme b/c I have not yet purchased a tent. My friends and I have decided to hold off on the western trip till summer, we are going to Cumblerland Island on the south Georiga Coast instead. So PecosBackpacker, I would like to know how your trip was when you get back and maybe see some pictures.

Thanks!

Topcat
02-14-2006, 18:14
I dont know what you consider out west, but if i had the chance, i would check out Glen Canyon before the water starts rising again. Looks like an incredible place in the pictures i have seen.

gravityman
02-14-2006, 18:59
Thanks for the replies. Hammocking is kinda a gimme b/c I have not yet purchased a tent. My friends and I have decided to hold off on the western trip till summer, we are going to Cumblerland Island on the south Georiga Coast instead. So PecosBackpacker, I would like to know how your trip was when you get back and maybe see some pictures.

Thanks!

Cumberland Island is excellent. You'll enjoy it! Watch out for the Raccoons, as they are pretty habituated to people, and like to steal your food. I feel asleep on night with my gorp by my head, which they stole and then fought over all night, keeping me up!

Hopefully you'll see the "wild" (feral) horses!

Gravity

hustler
02-14-2006, 20:41
I would check out the Gila down in New Mexico. The Grand Canyon is also a great choice. I went there over spring break, just be prepared for very cold and warm weather.

Ridge
02-14-2006, 20:48
If going into SFX you can get public transportation to the Sierra Nevada Range, ie: Yosemite NP or even Kings Canyon. Here's my transportation plan I used back in 1999. I'm sure its still about the same

│Route from San Francisco International Airport to Yosemite
│Leg #1: Bus 3616: Emeryville Bus
│Departs from SF Airport at 11:59am.
│Arrives at Emeryville at 12:50pm.
│Frequency: Daily.
│Leg #2: Train 716: San Joaquin
│Departs from Emeryville at 1:20pm.
│Arrives at Merced at 4:15pm.
│Leg #3: Bus 8416: Yosemite Bus
│Departs from Merced at 4:25pm.
│Arrives at Yosemite at 6:55pm.
│$50 ONE WAY Jul 25, 1999

PecosBackpacker
02-21-2006, 20:59
So PecosBackpacker, I would like to know how your trip was when you get back and maybe see some pictures. Thanks!

You got it.

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 21:26
Anything outside of the desert, except for the coast, is going to be buried in snow in March.

What?! No. Maybe in the Sierras above 5000' (snow line varies), but there's plenty of CA that's not desert and isn't covered in snow.

You could Yo-Yo the Skyline-to-Sea Trail near Santa Cruz, about 60-90 minutes south of San Francisco. It goes from the coastal ridge to the coast through 6 distinct ecozones or something like that. It's 32 miles one way, IIRC, and has a few different trails to choose from so you can take a different route on the way back up (or down). Lots of redwoods, a few waterfalls, etc. Plenty of hammock spots but you might find some longer tree huggers would help.

Some good info here:
http://www.bigbasin.org/backpacking.html

Check here for Castle Rock and Big Basin maps:
http://www.virtualparks.org/maps/maps-official.html

http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/bbrsp-qtvr-map.html

I had this trip planned but had to cancel - it's highly recommended by the locals, though. If you want details from folks who have hiked it, ask the NorthCA_Hiking group at Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthCA_Hiking/messages

Otherwise, there are lots of 5-6 day trips in Big Sur/Ventana/Los Padres NF. This is a great area with lots of scenery, and you can pretty much choose your elevation profile...from straight up to relatively level (but it's still the mountains). If you really want level, there's some good coastal hiking, too...lots of cliffs, though - it's not like the coast back east. Tha Wookie hiked the entire coast from Canada to Mexico so he'll be able to hook you up if you want info on hiking the coast.

Watch out for the poison oak.

Enjoy your trip...Let me know if you make it by Monterey.

chris
02-22-2006, 10:17
I wouldn't say Big Basin or Castle Rock are exactly weeklong destinations. Nice day hiking possibilities, but not really worth going all the way across the country for. Ditto for the Skyline-to-Sea. Good, long day hike. I wouldn't go across the country for a good long day hike. But, I would for a week in a place like Death Valley or Joshua Tree or Anza Borrego.

Just Jeff
02-22-2006, 10:52
Skyline to Sea goes from Castle Rock to Big Basin - each individually is probably too small for more than an overnighter. But a yoyo would be 60+ miles, and for some folks that could easily be a 5-6 day hike. Just a thought.

Still plenty of places to hang a hammock in Big Sur this time of year, though...and you can't say that's not worth seeing! (Well, you could, but I'd disagree! :) )