PDA

View Full Version : Stealth camping

Suzzz
03-12-2018, 15:42
Are there any good stealth camping areas along the trail between Crocker Cirque Campsite and the parking lot on Route 27 in Maine?

I'm thinking the answer is probably no since from what I can see on the map it doesn't look like there are a lot of flat spots but I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case. I like knowing my options.

Thanks!

Zed
03-12-2018, 16:07
There are some spots that would work about 1.5 to 2 miles south of Rt 27. Depends on how picky you are.

putts
03-12-2018, 16:08
There is one small spot (maybe 2 tents) visible from the trail that I remember using, and I think that is the only easy option...could be wrong though. I just remember coming down Crocker late in the day one time, noticing that camping was gonna be slim pickings, and that little site was a blessing. No water though.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2018, 16:22
Keep in mind that an acceptable spot one year may not be the next if a tree falls across it during the winter. The "level" section of trail north of North Peak is slabbing along the steep side of the ridge. I would not count on finding a place to camp along there.

Suzzz
03-12-2018, 20:19
There are some spots that would work about 1.5 to 2 miles south of Rt 27. Depends on how picky you are.

Depends how tired I am. LoL

Suzzz
03-12-2018, 20:21
There is one small spot (maybe 2 tents) visible from the trail that I remember using, and I think that is the only easy option...could be wrong though. I just remember coming down Crocker late in the day one time, noticing that camping was gonna be slim pickings, and that little site was a blessing. No water though.
Do you remember around what mile? Approximately?

To the left or the right? NOBO

Suzzz
03-12-2018, 20:28
Keep in mind that an acceptable spot one year may not be the next if a tree falls across it during the winter.

Agreed

The "level" section of trail north of North Peak is slabbing along the steep side of the ridge. I would not count on finding a place to camp along there.

Duely noted

putts
03-13-2018, 12:57
Maybe a mile and a half before coming to 27 on the right side (going nobo) ... Though I have to bring up when one hiker asks another going the opposite direction

"How far is it to....?"

"Oh not far. Quarter mile or so."

....45 mins later and still haven't got there...

So give my estimate a 1 mile +/- margin for error and you won't be disappointed...unless there's a tree down or a tent already there.

Suzzz
03-13-2018, 14:23
Maybe a mile and a half before coming to 27 on the right side (going nobo) ... Though I have to bring up when one hiker asks another going the opposite direction
"How far is it to....?"
"Oh not far. Quarter mile or so."
....45 mins later and still haven't got there...
So give my estimate a 1 mile +/- margin for error and you won't be disappointed...unless there's a tree down or a tent already there.

Thanks!!!!

egilbe
03-13-2018, 14:53
There was a spot a couple miles from the 27 headed south up North Crocker that was decent. A little Brook nearby. Only thing that spoiled it was somebody taking a dump not far from the spot and not burying it. I could hear the buzzing of flies. That was last Summer, so it should be fine now. But, it's a reminder to always treat your water.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-13-2018, 15:17
MATC discourages stealthing in these kind of high impact areas.

Suzzz
03-13-2018, 20:21
There was a spot a couple miles from the 27 headed south up North Crocker that was decent. A little Brook nearby. Only thing that spoiled it was somebody taking a dump not far from the spot and not burying it. I could hear the buzzing of flies. That was last Summer, so it should be fine now. But, it's a reminder to always treat your water.

Ah man, some people... zero respect. And yes I always treat my water.

Suzzz
03-13-2018, 20:23
MATC discourages stealthing in these kind of high impact areas.
Yes I know. This would be as a last resort.