PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp advice?

Jonhorde
03-12-2018, 23:28
Can anyone recommend a lightweight headset that will take disposable Lithium AA batteries? Want battery compatibility with my Steripen which requires Lithium AAs but Fenix 30hl prohibits Lithium batteries , (although I don’t know why...)
Thank you

bigcranky
03-13-2018, 07:02
We have two of the Zebralight AA headlamps, and I can't overstate how much I love these little things. I do use AA Lithium batteries in them when hiking (NiMH at home.) Tho of course the instructions might prohibit Lithiums in this headlamp, idk. But they work :)

I can't find the exact model we have on Amazon, but this is similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Zebralight-H53Fw-Headlamp-Floody-Neutral/dp/B073DN3961/

grubbster
03-13-2018, 08:35
+1 on the zebralight. I would also recommend the thrunite TH20. https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-TH20-White-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B01FCUTTCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520944424&sr=8-1&keywords=thrunite+th20+headlamp

Kaptainkriz
03-13-2018, 19:50
I love the Zebralight, I use lithiums in mine too.

We have two of the Zebralight AA headlamps, and I can't overstate how much I love these little things. I do use AA Lithium batteries in them when hiking (NiMH at home.) Tho of course the instructions might prohibit Lithiums in this headlamp, idk. But they work :)

I can't find the exact model we have on Amazon, but this is similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Zebralight-H53Fw-Headlamp-Floody-Neutral/dp/B073DN3961/

Starchild
03-13-2018, 23:03
Can anyone recommend a lightweight headset that will take disposable Lithium AA batteries? Want battery compatibility with my Steripen which requires Lithium AAs but Fenix 30hl prohibits Lithium batteries , (although I don’t know why...)
Thank you
The Fenix 30hl would not know the difference. The only issue would be that if it has a battery life monitor it would not be accurate.

nsherry61
03-14-2018, 12:31
The Fenix 30hl would not know the difference. The only issue would be that if it has a battery life monitor it would not be accurate.
Actually, using Lithium batteries in a system that is not designed to manage their slightly higher voltage can damage or destroy the electronics. Conversely, using alkaline batteries in a system that is designed for the slightly higher voltage of lithium batteries can lead to reduced reliability or simple failure to work. Many modern devices have the added electronics in them to handle both, BUT NOT ALL. The difference is NOT just battery life. That being said, I have seen claims that some Energizer lithium batteries are manufactured in a way to reduce the peak voltage enough to be truly interchangeable with Alkaline, but I have seen this from a reliable source and it does not apply to not all Energizer lithium batteries.

Gambit McCrae
03-14-2018, 16:26
My advise is to steer clear from 123A batteries, and to go with Black diamond or petzel. They are cheap, light and produce adequate power options to either bump up lumens or conserve battery usage.

Coffee
03-14-2018, 16:36
Black diamond spot works great with lithium or alkaline. I've had mine for five years and still going strong. Not the lightest but it has great features including red light for staying in hostels (also considerate in shelters). Has a lock mechanism to prevent inadvertent battery drain due to being switched on accidentally. Relatively inexpensive.

Pondjumpr
03-14-2018, 17:11
A little feedback from a recent purchase I made. I have had larger, heavier 3AAA headlamps for many years and get good service and function out of them. A few years ago, I tried a very small headlamp that uses a button cell because it is much lighter. I didn't like it because it had no tilt function and a hat brim really cut out much of the useful light and the beam was always higher than I like. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I found a smaller version of s tilting headlamp that uses only 2 AA. It is the Black Diamond Ion. I really like the weight as it is a compromise from the larger ones and the button cell and has a tilt feature. +++ HOWEVER, it has a "slide" on off button (like touch screen)that I find very inconsistent. I have tried several methods to turn it on. usually, once it's on, it goes through cycles easily but I try to turn the white light on and the red comes on.

So, I only say that to say if you chose one of the ones without an actual on off button, try it out first. I really want to like the ION and will probably keep it in my pack where it is now but so far... I am not a huge fan.

Pondjumpr
03-14-2018, 17:14
Having trouble editing the above post. I meant to also say that often times, I try to slide it on and nothing happens. that's the most frustrating part. The good news is that I bought it on clearance at the REI garage for about $7 and it came with lithium batteries. So, it was worth a try.

nsherry61
03-14-2018, 17:52
. . . I found a smaller version of s tilting headlamp that uses only 2 AA. It is the Black Diamond Ion. I really like the weight as it is a compromise from the larger ones and the button cell and has a tilt feature. +++ HOWEVER, it has a "slide" on off button (like touch screen)that I find very inconsistent. . .
The current model Ion has a tactile on/off button and is the same size. Also, BD will warranty older Ions that don't work correctly.

Starchild
03-14-2018, 17:55
Actually, using Lithium batteries in a system that is not designed to manage their slightly higher voltage can damage or destroy the electronics. Conversely, using alkaline batteries in a system that is designed for the slightly higher voltage of lithium batteries can lead to reduced reliability or simple failure to work. Many modern devices have the added electronics in them to handle both, BUT NOT ALL. The difference is NOT just battery life. That being said, I have seen claims that some Energizer lithium batteries are manufactured in a way to reduce the peak voltage enough to be truly interchangeable with Alkaline, but I have seen this from a reliable source and it does not apply to not all Energizer lithium batteries.

While Energizer lithiums are made to be a direct replacement for alkaline you do make a good point now that I reconsider this. Some LED lamps do not use a voltage regulator and just hook directly up to the batteries along with a resistor to slightly lower the voltage. Such lamps sometimes come with the term 'tactical flashlights' since they have one less part to break (no voltage regulator) and thus can be used a bit more harshly and less failure prone, and when starting from a fresh set of batteries will give a bit more light then ones with a voltage regulator. Since Energizer Lithium batteries do have a slightly higher voltage this may cause trouble as it would overdrive the LED further. However such tactical flashlights will have 3 batteries as you need 4-4.1 volts for the LED.

A 2 or 1 battery headlamp would come with a voltage regulator, I would say that it should be able to handle Energizer Lithiums and even quite a bit more overvoltage, It may even run cooler as there would be lower current with higher voltage.

Miles 2 Go
03-14-2018, 18:52
Love my Zebralight as well and also use AA Lithium batteries in it. Although if I were ever to replace it I think I'd look into a USB rechargeable type headlamp.

Kaptainkriz
03-14-2018, 21:07
Anyone ever try microusb AA chargables: https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Batteries-Lithium-Charged-Powerbank/dp/B071J18BD9

Love my Zebralight as well and also use AA Lithium batteries in it. Although if I were ever to replace it I think I'd look into a USB rechargeable type headlamp.

Cheyou
03-15-2018, 05:05
Anyone ever try microusb AA chargables: https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Batteries-Lithium-Charged-Powerbank/dp/B071J18BD9
Or https://www.amazon.com/Olight-Universal-Magnetic-Charger-Batteries/dp/B071NZ5S3F/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521104683&sr=1-2&keywords=olight+charger&dpID=51Pn-jKlbzL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

saltysack
03-16-2018, 11:54
I’ve had a few single A zebra lights...by far most durable light weight option...I use mine on the water and on trail. I recently saw a rechargeable UL light I might try for longer trips where I’d carry my anker to recharge my phone be a back up battery. I night hike on all my trips and this looks great rechargeable option...Long burn times, UL etc.....

https://www.litesmith.com/nitecore-nu25-triple-output-usb-rechargeable-headlamp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perrymk
03-16-2018, 13:32
I have a older model Black Diamond Revolt headlamp. The brightness is infinitely adjustable, it angles, probably has some other options I don't use. It takes 3 AAA batteries but they can be recharged with the built in microUSB port. I use it for my daily weekday morning walks on full bright and probably recharge once per month (roughly 15 hours use) although it could go longer. If it used AA batteries it would be perfect.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-18-2018, 19:02
I use a Uco Air... rechargeable via micro USB. No batteries to swap. I changed out the strap it came with for a piece of stretch cord because it fits better. All in, 1 oz.

Alex Blain-Laider
03-25-2018, 20:24
Thrunite TH20 runs off one AA.

meat803
03-31-2018, 07:52
I used a princetec on my AT thruhike which I loved. No complaints. On my PCT thruhike I used the BD revolt which I loved the versatility of USB recharging. No need to carry extra batteries, throw half used batteries , or even have the need to buy batteries during my thru. Also had a lock feature that kept it from accidentally getting turned on, although I never found that to be an issue with my princetec. BUT..... the red lamp sucked bad and thats my preferred mode even when I am solo in the tent. It was a joke and I was severely disappointed. Mine is a couple years old so they may have improved it. I am still on the fence as it was a major issue but the usb re-chargability was a huge bonus on my thruhike. It has paid for itself in batteries many times over. You can also buy extra headlamp batteries for your steripen and use the headlamp to recharge them while in town.