PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles?

nobo860
03-13-2018, 15:34
I'm sure it's been discussed but what experiences do people have with poles on the trail? I've never used them but I've also never hiked for this long and want to minimize knee pain. Do they get in the way a lot? Do the benefits outweigh the negatives? My shelter doesn't rely on them either, so that might factor into my decision. Thoughts?

TSWisla
03-13-2018, 17:07
I feel that they are an absolute necessity. You don't need crazy expensive ones, but they do help in relieving stress on your knees. I do end up kicking them once in a while, but that is no big deal. Some tents even require them for setup.

fastfoxengineering
03-13-2018, 17:18
I feel that they are an absolute necessity. You don't need crazy expensive ones, but they do help in relieving stress on your knees. I do end up kicking them once in a while, but that is no big deal. Some tents even require them for setup.I will say Leki has a great warranty so it's not money wasted.

Your practically buying a well engineered and ergonomic product for life.

On sale they can be had for ~$120.

My mother got a set from campsaver or something for $80 on a clearance.

Most people don't start backpacking with poles. Then they get a set. And then never go backpacking without them again.

Because the majority of long distance hikers utilize shelters that require trekking poles for setup, they become an essential piece of kit.

They're are many methods to the madness. Trekking poles are one piece of gear that the majority of hikers would agree are beneficial to a hiker.

And theyve definitely saved my arse once or twice. Theyve also made me fall once or twice.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-13-2018, 17:23
If you use them now while your young, you may have better working knees when your older.

They also have other uses, like poking ahead in a mud puddle to find the one solid place to step onto. They can also save you from falling down if you stumble on a rock or trip on a root.

peakbagger
03-13-2018, 18:14
My normal observation is I see a lot of north bound through hikers ended up at Baxter Peak at Katahdin with poles. They usually have gotten rid of unnecessary gear miles ago yet they justify carrying poles .

I find that down south I end up carrying my poles in one hand about half the time. There are many miles down south of essentially walking on flat and level old roads along the ridgelines, no need for poles but once there is slope up or down, my poles get used. I find the poles really help on the upslope where I can transfer a load to my upper body. Down slope especially when its bony really transfers a lot of load off the knees. A side effect of carrying poles is that aggressive dogs seem to hang back with poles in hand.

One caveat is cut the straps off once you head north and the trails get rockier. Straps are great for urban hiking on flat and level stuff but if your hands are tied to the poles with straps and you slip, its highly likely the poles will head in the opposite direction than you are and its recipe for wrist or shoulder injuries. Sure some folks advocate it you use the straps right they will slip off when you fall but actual practice is less positive than theory.

fastfoxengineering
03-13-2018, 18:23
My normal observation is I see a lot of north bound through hikers ended up at Baxter Peak at Katahdin with poles. They usually have gotten rid of unnecessary gear miles ago yet they justify carrying poles .

I find that down south I end up carrying my poles in one hand about half the time. There are many miles down south of essentially walking on flat and level old roads along the ridgelines, no need for poles but once there is slope up or down, my poles get used. I find the poles really help on the upslope where I can transfer a load to my upper body. Down slope especially when its bony really transfers a lot of load off the knees. A side effect of carrying poles is that aggressive dogs seem to hang back with poles in hand.

One caveat is cut the straps off once you head north and the trails get rockier. Straps are great for urban hiking on flat and level stuff but if your hands are tied to the poles with straps and you slip, its highly likely the poles will head in the opposite direction than you are and its recipe for wrist or shoulder injuries. Sure some folks advocate it you use the straps right they will slip off when you fall but actual practice is less positive than theory.Agreed.

Hiking in NH I'm always using my poles. But we have some pretty uneven terrain.

For those little 30' flat sections that are mythical here it feels great to hold the poles in one hand and open the stride a little. Or when you gotta do some rack scrambling.

The biggest times poles have gotten me in trouble. When I should have put them away because of some technical terrain. But sometimes you just don't want to take the pack off and take the 5 minutes to pack your poles. They then proceed to get in your way big time. Especially when you realize you need two hands to climb and now your in a position where you can really store your poles.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-13-2018, 18:45
I will say Leki has a great warranty so it's not money wasted.

Your practically buying a well engineered and ergonomic product for life.

What’s Leki’s policy? I have an ancient pair that will start the AT with me but I don’t know if they’ll make it to the end!

fastfoxengineering
03-13-2018, 19:06
What’s Leki’s policy? I have an ancient pair that will start the AT with me but I don’t know if they’ll make it to the end!They have a lifetime warranty on their aluminum poles. If you break a section, they'll replace it.

They do not warranty tips/baskets/etc. Those are wear and tear items. But if you snap or crack a pole section, they'll stand behind it.

Carbon poles only have a 1 year warranty.

fastfoxengineering
03-13-2018, 19:09
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhiteblaze%2Enet %2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D128205&share_tid=128205&share_fid=24664&share_type=t

Here's my recent experience with Leki.

egilbe
03-13-2018, 19:36
Agreed.

Hiking in NH I'm always using my poles. But we have some pretty uneven terrain.

For those little 30' flat sections that are mythical here it feels great to hold the poles in one hand and open the stride a little. Or when you gotta do some rack scrambling.

The biggest times poles have gotten me in trouble. When I should have put them away because of some technical terrain. But sometimes you just don't want to take the pack off and take the 5 minutes to pack your poles. They then proceed to get in your way big time. Especially when you realize you need two hands to climb and now your in a position where you can really store your poles.

Caps Ridge trail comes to mind

TheMidlifeHiker
03-13-2018, 19:46
They have a lifetime warranty on their aluminum poles. If you break a section, they'll replace it.

They do not warranty tips/baskets/etc. Those are wear and tear items. But if you snap or crack a pole section, they'll stand behind it.

Thanks!

Mine are aluminum... do you know about about the springy inserts inside the poles... those are getting a bit soft on mine. Poles themselves are scratched up but as good as ever!

Slo-go'en
03-13-2018, 20:07
Thanks!
Mine are aluminum... do you know about about the springy inserts inside the poles... those are getting a bit soft on mine. Poles themselves are scratched up but as good as ever!

That's the only trouble I have. I finally said the heck with it and cut spacers out of a plastic Bic pen barrel to defeat the springy insert. Which reminds me, need to inspect them before the next 500 miler.

CrumbSnatcher
03-13-2018, 20:47
they turn 2 wheel drive into 4 wheel drive :)
get a pair that telescopes and put them in your pack when you don't feel like using them.

BuckeyeBill
03-13-2018, 21:09
Leki Corklite/w Speedlock2 flip locks for me. Won't leave home with them.

kestral
03-13-2018, 22:06
Leki Corklite/w Speedlock2 flip locks for me. Won't leave home with them.

These are my current pair as well. They have saved me a few falls over the years. I don’t like “anti shock” poles- they don’t feel as secure to me.

Budget or loaner poles at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Apex-Trekking-Pole-Set-Lime/36547596?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=6a72e3e5-ab90-4303-3250-02fa0c830cbf&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=6a72e3e5-ab90-4303-3250-02fa0c830cbf&item_id=36547596&parent_anchor_item_id=899803909&parent_item_id=899803909&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=Wiy3pC6CW5SMViJzCcdYBs

Knee Jerk
03-13-2018, 22:40
I have a pair of Mountainsmith Carbonlite aluminum poles that I've had for about 8 years now - cost me around $55 on Amazon. Lots of scratched off paint and I always tell people as soon as they break I am going out and buying a pair of Leki's. But the Mountainsmith poles refuse to die, so no Leki's for me - yet.

But count me in the group who tells people: "I'm not taking a step on the trail without my hiking poles." They help tremendously especially on the downhills.

Time Zone
03-13-2018, 23:03
conventional wisdom is that flip-lock is less prone to collapse than twist lock, but I've had no problems with my twist-lock ones (made by Komperdell, branded as LL Bean Hikelite). And while you may not need adjustable length poles, it's nice to be able to collapse them for easy loading in the car.

I do think they're very useful in reducing ITBS knee pain on downhills. I also use mine for my 1P tent, so a little dual-use there.

Dogwood
03-14-2018, 08:05
What individuals feel (believe) is an absolute necessity for themselves should not be assumed is an absolute necessity for everyone else. There is no one right way for all people all the time to backpack.

Trekking poles are not an essential required piece for all hikers and all hikes.

Nor are trekking poles essential to the majority of shelters. Customarily shelter designers offer alternatives to erect shelters for those not using trekking poles.

These statements are not made to advance a pro or anti trekking pole position.

Dogwood
03-14-2018, 08:38
Are you currently experiencing knee pain or do you assume you will when you hike for long periods?

If currently you do have you sought professional medical advice that provides the root causes to address them rather than knee pain which is a symptom? If you do is the pain acute or chronic? Knee pain is a symptom of a wide range of root causes. Knowing this first is more importal than hearing about trekking poles!

Lone Wolf
03-14-2018, 11:36
I'm sure it's been discussed but what experiences do people have with poles on the trail? I've never used them but I've also never hiked for this long and want to minimize knee pain. Do they get in the way a lot? Do the benefits outweigh the negatives? My shelter doesn't rely on them either, so that might factor into my decision. Thoughts?

i personally don't see the need for them. i had major surgery on my right knee 40 years ago after a nasty injury. went on to do 5 thru-hikes plus a few thousand other miles. poleless. try walkin' without them before sinkin' $$ into them

Feral Bill
03-14-2018, 11:44
I use a single pole. I like having a hand free for drinks, photography, and whatever. The pole also supports my tarp and works as a monopod for my camera. When I recently forgot my pole for a trip i missed it, a little. Get an old ski pole from Goodwill for a dollar or two and see if it suits you or not.

Slugg
03-14-2018, 12:00
I'd hiked a couple hundred miles without them, and now that I've hiked a couple hundred miles with them I'll never hike without them again. Knee pain is a big reason why. I had never had knee pain/problems in my entire life, but by my third consecutive day on the trail (without poles), my knee was killing me on every downhill. With the poles? 0 knee pain over the entire trip. I've read on here before that they can effectively reduce your pack weight by around weight by 20% if used properly, and I believe it.

They also save me from busting my ass relatively frequently.

Another plus that I haven't seen mentioned on here yet is that poles can nullify hand-swelling, which can be an annoying consequence of hiking without them.

Also, they help keep muscle on your arms and keep them from becoming scrawny over the course of a thru-hike.

BuckeyeBill
03-14-2018, 13:08
I'd hiked a couple hundred miles without them, and now that I've hiked a couple hundred miles with them I'll never hike without them again. Knee pain is a big reason why. I had never had knee pain/problems in my entire life, but by my third consecutive day on the trail (without poles), my knee was killing me on every downhill. With the poles? 0 knee pain over the entire trip. I've read on here before that they can effectively reduce your pack weight by around weight by 20% if used properly, and I believe it. (My emphasis)

They also save me from busting my ass relatively frequently.

Another plus that I haven't seen mentioned on here yet is that poles can nullify hand-swelling, which can be an annoying consequence of hiking without them.

Also, they help keep muscle on your arms and keep them from becoming scrawny over the course of a thru-hike.

I am not sure of the percentage, but what you are really doing is transferring some of the weight from your legs to your arms.

What individuals feel (believe) is an absolute necessity for themselves should not be assumed is an absolute necessity for everyone else. There is no one right way for all people all the time to backpack.

Trekking poles are not an essential required piece for all hikers and all hikes.

Nor are trekking poles essential to the majority of shelters. Customarily shelter designers offer alternatives to erect shelters for those not using trekking poles.

These statements are not made to advance a pro or anti trekking pole position.

DW you are absolutely right. I should have mentioned that what works for me may not be what is best for some other people.

Knee Jerk
03-14-2018, 17:36
A couple of years ago, an outfitter told me that the difference between Leki and every other manufacturer was that Leki actually ships replacement parts to the outfitters before they are needed. So when a hiker shows up with a broken pole, it's just a matter of going into the back and finding the piece that is needed, fixing the pole and sending the hiker on their way.

Mind you, I don't own Leki's but in an era where everything has to be cost justified by an accountant that's a pretty smart move.

nobo860
03-14-2018, 19:56
I lead week-long trips in the whites during the summer and occasionally I'll have some minor pain on the downhills toward the end of trip. I have a feeling it could get worse after hiking a few hundred miles of the trail.

Dogwood
03-15-2018, 12:03
I lead week-long trips in the whites during the summer and occasionally I'll have some minor pain on the downhills towardok the end of trip. I have a feeling it could get worse after hiking a few hundred miles of the trail.

The Whites are strenuous terrain. This can happen using trekking poles there or not. A week hiking there the majority of the time if I had poles with me they'd be carried not used. Maybe that's partly me but that's what I observe with many others. They will likely slow you down on the descents which in itself could be beneficial.

Bad form, bad problematic downhill technique, heavier loads than maybe necessary, improper footwear for the conditions and for your feet, and possibly other things can lead to downhill knee pain. Throwing trekking poles into the mix while engaging in such is no panacea for knee pain.

One of the terrible things many backpackers and hikers do to their bodies on descents that can be attributed to knee pain is race downhill going too fast taking deep/high steps down. Do this with a load, the heavier the more problematic to knees. It leads to other problems like slips, trips, and falls. Do this on steeper rocky sometimes rooty descents like in The Whites even more a problem.

Use flimsy trail runners lacking adequate support and protection for a wk long hike in the Whites on descents it rcan eally show up in joint and musculoskeletal pain.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-15-2018, 12:10
A couple of years ago, an outfitter told me that the difference between Leki and every other manufacturer was that Leki actually ships replacement parts to the outfitters before they are needed. So when a hiker shows up with a broken pole, it's just a matter of going into the back and finding the piece that is needed, fixing the pole and sending the hiker on their way.
Mind you, I don't own Leki's but in an era where everything has to be cost justified by an accountant that's a pretty smart move.

It would not surprise me if that were true. I called Leki for some replacement expanders and the woman not only was super friendly, but she knew the part # off the top of her head. Given that and the quality of my Lekis I think they have their act together.

fastfoxengineering
03-15-2018, 13:53
The Whites are strenuous terrain. This can happen using trekking poles there or not. A week hiking there the majority of the time if I had poles with me they'd be carried not used. Maybe that's partly me but that's what I observe with many others. They will likely slow you down on the descents which in itself could be beneficial.

Bad form, bad problematic downhill technique, heavier loads than maybe necessary, improper footwear for the conditions and for your feet, and possibly other things can lead to downhill knee pain. Throwing trekking poles into the mix while engaging in such is no panacea for knee pain.

One of the terrible things many backpackers and hikers do to their bodies on descents that can be attributed to knee pain is race downhill going too fast taking deep/high steps down. Do this with a load, the heavier the more problematic to knees. It leads to other problems like slips, trips, and falls. Do this on steeper rocky sometimes rooty descents like in The Whites even more a problem.

Use flimsy trail runners lacking adequate support and protection for a wk long hike in the Whites on descents it rcan eally show up in joint and musculoskeletal pain.I've seen this many times. The Whites beat you up. And it's kind of a play ground for a lot of inexperienced hikers. The 48 4,000 footer trailheads are crazy packed during the summer months.

I see more experienced hikers using poles here than I do if I head down to Massachusetts to hike with friends.

Day hikes that is.

After learning how to backpack the hard way along the Long Trail, Cohos Trail, and endless miles of trail in NH. This is how I feel about my trekking poles.

https://youtu.be/oiPzU75P9FA

MuddyWaters
03-15-2018, 16:38
I lead week-long trips in the whites during the summer and occasionally I'll have some minor pain on the downhills toward the end of trip. I have a feeling it could get worse after hiking a few hundred miles of the trail.

It's much easier to balance going up and down hill or over rocks when using poles. Pretty damn handy for crossing Water 2

If you use them smart you can take substantial shock off your knees and shins when going steep downhill. When you take a step down hill there comes a point where you literally have to fall on to that downhill leg with a thunk. This repeated hammer can lead to stress fractures especially if your bones are not accustomed to it. It leads to tendonitis for the exact same reason. Poles you to slow down and avoid this. If you use them smart and slow down.

I find I may have a twinge of knee pain now and then at the start of a hike. But if I'm careful and baby it, after a week its gone.

When I didn't baby it I've been crippled by both severe tendonitis and tibial stress fracture. Basically unable to walk.

And yeah they hold my tarp up. And clear spider webs from the trail in the morning. And pushed ticks carrying vegetation away from my legs. And maintain balance when walking on snow fields. Or icy patches. Or sketchy places.

On flat ground, more likely or not, I'm just carrying them in my hand.

Would I hike without them? Maybe on flat dry trail. But that's kind of trail that ain't no fun. YMMV.

MtDoraDave
03-15-2018, 21:40
I wasn't sure if I would like using them or if they would hurt my shoulders (rotator cuff issues) so my first pair was a cheap pair from Walmart. When they failed, I tried a pair that I read about here; Cascade Mountain Tech.
Carbon Fiber, flick locks, foam handles (my preference - they also have cork) several ounces lighter than aluminum, and only $45.
No lifetime warranty, but they were well rated and we'll spoken of - and they sell replacement sections reasonably priced.
Obviously, they don't bother my shoulders, and they help in all the ways mentioned so far.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-15-2018, 22:18
I just can't do CF, I imagine it's failure mode is dramatic. I've re-straightened aluminum poles repeatedly with no ill effects.

Dogwood
03-16-2018, 01:01
In such rocky terrain as the Whites i find it better to use a foldable CF upper(s) and aircraft aluminum lower trekking pole design for increased durability and reliability but still at a UL wt. Such an example is the Komperdell Carbon Vario 4. At a lower price pt branded REI but made by Komperdell you can get similar.

Cheyou
03-16-2018, 07:35
In such rocky terrain as the Whites i find it better to use a foldable CF upper(s) and aircraft aluminum lower trekking pole design for increased durability and reliability but still at a UL wt. Such an example is the Komperdell Carbon Vario 4. At a lower price pt branded REI but made by Komperdell you can get similar.
Yes aluminum Z poles 14.3 oz have worked better for me then cascade mountain tech . I shattered a carbon fiber bottom section in Pensilvania rocks . The Z poles carbide tips has lasted longer to. Don’t use them all the time especially in technical sections.

Thom

JJ505
03-16-2018, 11:23
I use a single pole. I like having a hand free for drinks, photography, and whatever. The pole also supports my tarp and works as a monopod for my camera. When I recently forgot my pole for a trip i missed it, a little. Get an old ski pole from Goodwill for a dollar or two and see if it suits you or not.

Usually I do too. The puppy is better, but still sometimes likes to weave thru my legs. So til she's trained up more... I do like hiking with two. Helps me a LOT. But even one pole is very helpful. I went from a staff to a pole (I have the Cascade Mountain ones), the weight difference to me is a noticiable improvement.

tflaris
03-17-2018, 07:39
I feel that they are an absolute necessity. You don't need crazy expensive ones, but they do help in relieving stress on your knees. I do end up kicking them once in a while, but that is no big deal. Some tents even require them for setup.

What TSWisla said. I consider them essential especially since our tent uses them as supports.

Plus I like the grips on the Leki’s.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler
03-17-2018, 08:25
FWIW - I've used trekking poles for the past decade or so and credit them with adding at least another decade to my hiking life beyond where it would have ended without them. They are good for all the points made previously, balance, probing, uphill lifts, downhill impacts, propping things, reaching things, digging catholes when nothing else is available, help stop my fingers from swelling during a walking day, and probably another half dozen uses I can't think of immediately.

There have been studies on these devices (search "trekking poles reduce joint impact") which indicate downhill joint trauma is reduced with the use of poles. I have found scaled weight measurement goes down when I put my hands on top of the poles (not pushing down, just relaxed) and stand at rest with them, an indicator of their taking a percentage of body weight off the lower joints on all terrain. General consensus of information I have seen is between 20% and 30% of hiking impact is absorbed by poles.

They can be a little tricky to use at first, many people (including me) over-think them and can get tangled up, with a pole preventing the following leg from moving forward in the stride, causing a trip or fall (called a "Dewey" in some circles). If you use them, understand how the straps work, hand goes into the strap from underneath so if you let go of the pole the pole stays with you or your hand/wrist can hang in the strap effortlessly while providing support (especially uphill).

Some advocate cutting the strap off, even though using them without putting hands into the straps makes a bit more sense so you have the option. I am not sure if this is a weight saving concept, injury prevention strategy from improper use, or experience with rare circumstances. I have well over 2,000 miles using poles in all four seasons and have never experienced an injury with straps and find them very useful. As with all things, there are techniques of use that can be quickly developed for a variety of circumstances.

Do you need these poles? No, but then you don't need a lot of gear like a stove. Are they handy to have, absolutely. Will I do a long hike without them? No.

BuckeyeBill
03-17-2018, 08:38
Very well said Traveler.

BoogieForth
03-17-2018, 12:15

Someone mentioned poles/walking stick helping water crossings and i'd agree especially for ME. I had thigh high water at least once there and that was a drought year so in a wet year it can get much worse. They are especially helpful if you're tall since your center of gravity is higher.

jefals
03-17-2018, 12:28
I also love my Lekis. Water crossings, balance, downhill, even help pushing uphill.
I get cramps in my hands, tho, from holding them all day. Also noticed my hands sometimes get sweaty on a hot day, so makes it harder to grip the poles. that's where OR gloves come in...

GaryM
03-17-2018, 18:56
I am a hammock hiker and they are a must have for me. They saved from from what would have been a couple of bad falls. They are awesome in maintaining balance in difficult sections.
You can get a servicable set at walmart for about 20 bucks. If you find them useful then upgrade.

cliffordbarnabus
03-18-2018, 00:48
4 points on the ground vs. 2. good math.

Elkins45
03-20-2018, 23:02
I bought a pair for my wife because she isn’t very stable in the mud. They were on sale from STP so I threw in a pair for myself with the intent of carrying them so she wouldnt feel silly using them.

Darned if I didn’t discover they made me remarkably stable on slick hillsides as well. That was 10 years ago and I haven’t been on a single hike without them since then.

Strategic
04-17-2018, 11:03
I started hiking years ago (as in, the 1970s) with a staff and revised that to a single pole/staff when I took up packing again around 1998. Then I had an incident on Arden Mt. in NY where I slipped on a downhill, tried to use my pole to stabilize, but it was in the wrong hand and I ended up doing a swan-dive off the switchback and cracking my left scapula in half. Would have been the same result if I'd had no pole at all. After that, I switched to trekking poles and have never been happier. You're just more stable and agile with them in hand; it's like being four-footed. Plus all the other benefits for taking stress off the knees, etc., that people have laid out in previous comments. Get a cheap pair to try and learn how to use them. Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you ever hiked without them and you can invest in a good pair that fits you and your hiking style.

BTW, they can also save you from other, less obvious mishaps. People have already mentioned their use in probing, but sometimes that can happen just as a consequence of using them with very interesting results. I was on the trail in PA a bit north of the Pinnacle, hiking in the early evening (dusk), when I placed my right pole to hop up along a rock ledge, a small copperhead shot out off the ledge from right where I'd put my pole and was about to step. If I'd just stepped there without placing the pole first, he'd have probably bit me. As it was, I was able to laugh, get a picture of him a few feet away swelling up and hissing at me for disturbing him, and hike on. So add "dealing harmlessly with poisonous snakes" to the functions of trekking poles.

Greenlight
04-17-2018, 11:22
Slo-go'en summed it up well. They can also save you from falling for other reasons, like being klutzy in general like me. ;) There are two drawbacks, one is related to the other. Yes, they do get in the way sometimes, especially on flat sections or when you're trying to take pictures. A couple of times, I have proceeded to get "back into rhythm" with my poles after stopping to take a picture, and inadvertently run my foot straight into one of my poles that hit the ground before I was ready. That is a sensation not to be missed...sort of like having someone push you into an unexpected high jump bar. One could be injured, but the injuries wouldn't be any worse than you'd sustain by hiking without trekking poles. The choice is yours.

If you use them now while your young, you may have better working knees when your older.

They also have other uses, like poking ahead in a mud puddle to find the one solid place to step onto. They can also save you from falling down if you stumble on a rock or trip on a root.

greensleep
04-17-2018, 15:43
I am one who really appreciates my poles. Have prevented innumerable falls and helped my knees on long uphills and steep downhills. However, be careful in rocky areas (Pennsylvania) as they can get caught between rocks and cause a fall. I am now off the trail due to a knee injury sustained last week in PA when I took a bad spill. Broke a pole too.

Bansko
04-19-2018, 09:50
The benefits outweigh the negatives in a BIG way. The only thing I didn't like about them was that one of the baskets would occasionally get caught on a root or rock and jerk me back. It was never enough to cause any harm, but it certainly was annoying, and sometimes disconcerting.. On some parts of the trail that happened about hourly to me. That's probably why at least one person commented on not using straps.

Well, I formerly did not use poles, but now I swear by them. I also did not use pole straps in the past, but now I use them almost all of the time, even with the occasional root jerking me back. The upside is enormous when you use poles with straps (straps are more important on the uphills). As someone else mentioned, it's like going from 2WD to 4WD. You'll never look back.

Another Kevin
04-19-2018, 12:44
Do you need trekking poles? Maybe.

Do I need trekking poles? Definitely!

I do use the straps, the "right" way. I recognize that's considerably more controversial.

If I'd used poles in my youth, my knees wouldn't be as screwed up as they are today. But nobody used poles back then, unless they were on snowshoes or skis, so who knew? Nowadays people seem to know better. In any case, using them keeps me hiking. Well, mostly. I've struggled with various problems the last couple of years. They've all been curable so far, so maybe I'll be able to get back into trail shape eventually. The knees are never going to be quite right, but mostly they're good enough to hike on, at least with poles.

MuddyWaters
04-19-2018, 18:49
Slipped on my last trip and broke a pole.
Actually I slipped more than once the green stuff on rocks was slick as goose $hit when wet. But the point is my butt was dangling about 2in above shin deep cold water when that pole snapped. It's still slowed me enough that I was able to recover mostly with just a slightly damp derriere. Instead of a soaking wet one when it was 42 degrees. Fortunately I was able to rig it to work for the next 75 miles, since I broke about 7 inches off of a middle section of a 3-piece Pole, I just inserted the bottom farther up the middle part after I've bent it back straight and voila.