PDA

View Full Version : tad upset by 22.5 torso choices

clay pot
03-15-2018, 11:59
NOBO beginning with approach trail, section hiking at age 78. Beginning again shortly at forest road north of Knot Maul Shelter above Atkins. I only say this to maybe say I have hiked solo, full pack, past every blaze. Mostly because I was too new and dumb to understand and trust short cuts.

Anyway, hiking in Silver Back 50, which I trust. Without Bonnet. Own last Gorilla. Own Mariposa.

Now, also own a 22.5 torso. Packs I can change. Torso length may change if I fall off the side of the mountain.

like most of us, I read all the new reviews on the new stuff and think, love the way that might pack, ride, and work for me. Never more than 30 lbs. 5 days food. 2 liters water. Winter, summer, whenever. Gosh, I have been so close to buying something. Exos 58 maybe. New Osprey really light coming out. Then I go to the sizing chart. Crap.

So, If you were going to talk me out of Silver Back 50, cost no consideration, what would you say. I guess only those of you with 21+ torso will understand this problem.
thank you

AllDownhillFromHere
03-15-2018, 12:02
I think Deuter packs are pretty long and adjustable.

Venchka
03-15-2018, 12:32
Dan McHale builds custom packs.
I bought a Jensen Pack in 1974. Still using it. Their size chart lists “19 inches and up” Give them a call.
http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/#RMW
Good luck.
Wayne

fastfoxengineering
03-15-2018, 14:16
NOBO beginning with approach trail, section hiking at age 78. Beginning again shortly at forest road north of Knot Maul Shelter above Atkins. I only say this to maybe say I have hiked solo, full pack, past every blaze. Mostly because I was too new and dumb to understand and trust short cuts.

Anyway, hiking in Silver Back 50, which I trust. Without Bonnet. Own last Gorilla. Own Mariposa.

Now, also own a 22.5 torso. Packs I can change. Torso length may change if I fall off the side of the mountain.

like most of us, I read all the new reviews on the new stuff and think, love the way that might pack, ride, and work for me. Never more than 30 lbs. 5 days food. 2 liters water. Winter, summer, whenever. Gosh, I have been so close to buying something. Exos 58 maybe. New Osprey really light coming out. Then I go to the sizing chart. Crap.

So, If you were going to talk me out of Silver Back 50, cost no consideration, what would you say. I guess only those of you with 21+ torso will understand this problem.
thank youCost is no object and your 78 with a long torso?

Zpacks Arc Haul in long would be an excellent choice for a lightweight kit.

Treat yourself, you deserve it!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Coffee
03-15-2018, 14:26
ULA packs have an XL torso length for 24"+. check them out.

DownEaster
03-15-2018, 14:47
I've got a 21˝" torso. It turns out I'm OK with a Medium Crown 2 pack, which supposedly only goes up to 21", while Long works for 21" and up. The Granite Gear folks say ˝" either side of the division point should work OK with either pack size, and that appears to be the case (and I save a couple of ounces). You should fit into a Long version of most packs just fine.

Venchka
03-15-2018, 15:49
Apparently you aren’t alone.
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/98329/
Google has more. Search: 22.5” torso backpack.
Wayne

JPritch
04-04-2018, 09:32
There are lots of options. I have a long Granite Gear Crown VC60 and it fits great on me at 6'3.

DuneElliot
04-04-2018, 19:58
NOT a long torso but I have a medium ZPacks Arc Haul and I have a 19" torso and a little wiggle room to spare in the adujustment of the pack. I am betting that the Arc Haul in large would suit you very well.

Feral Bill
04-04-2018, 20:53
The Granite Gear Lutzen 55 is very adjustable, light, and nicely designed. Worth looking at. I bought one and am happy.

clay pot
04-05-2018, 07:19
Thanks everybody, ordered Granite Gear VC60 yesterday. Feral Bill's post + REI dividend with store pickup made it an easy final choice. I was ready to leave with the Mariposa which allows me to pack hammock and tarp so very easily and all on "outside" for deployment. Now I will pack the VC60 this weekend. It arrives Saturday. And I shall see how it goes. I have promised myself not to read anything about a new pack from anybody until I have become upset with what I have, which I never was in the first place. I always buy something. And when I saw $122 for the VC60 my finger pushed submit. Anyway, thanks to all for the observations. I ran the pros/cons on each observation you all gave me all he way to the end of the last review anyone had on anything. What else can we do in winter? I will be so happy if I can truly be dropped off on the 15th above Atkins and continue on. Maybe buying another pack was just my way to prove to my 78 year old emotional head that I have a full investment in continuing on I don't have a bucket list. I only have the AT. One thing doesn't make a list. Don't you have to have at least two things to have a list?

linus72
04-05-2018, 09:33
im only 5'8" but i have a 22.5 torso as well (short legs i guess!) and an exos 48 fit me great in the large size... i didn't think i'd be a large but as its based on the torso, i guess i am. they're not adjustable tho

linus72
04-05-2018, 09:34
ah guess i'm late to the party here. enjoy the pack!

blw2
04-05-2018, 21:42
my torso measured 21 inch, so probably not quite into the territory from which you come from....
I ordered a medium torso Arc Blast from Z-packs. Sadly I haven't hiked with it a ton yet. I like it so far, but I've wondered a couple times if I shouldn't have gone with a small because the top rides a bit high behind my head so I feel like I need to push the belt down lower on my hips than where it seems to want to ride. I think I had enough arc in the frame, but I want to play around with it some more....
I don't remember what the medium range was supposed to be, but maybe that'll give you an idea of what their medium is like.

DuneElliot
04-05-2018, 21:57
my torso measured 21 inch, so probably not quite into the territory from which you come from....
I ordered a medium torso Arc Blast from Z-packs. Sadly I haven't hiked with it a ton yet. I like it so far, but I've wondered a couple times if I shouldn't have gone with a small because the top rides a bit high behind my head so I feel like I need to push the belt down lower on my hips than where it seems to want to ride. I think I had enough arc in the frame, but I want to play around with it some more....
I don't remember what the medium range was supposed to be, but maybe that'll give you an idea of what their medium is like.

I'd not recommend it. I have a 19" torso and I wouldn't go to a small from a medium. I run a 2" arc in the frame so not quite as much as they recommend. I have had zero problems getting it to fit.

JPritch
04-17-2018, 15:49
Torso size fascinates me, as I've recently discovered it has nothing to do with height. My first pack I bought the long - GG Crown VC60, and I think it's just a hair too long for me but I make it work (have to cinch the shoulder straps tight to get the belt to sit right on my hips). I had just assumed being 6'3 I needed a long torso pack. I just purchased a ZPacks Arc Blast in a small torso as my torso measured 19" and they recommend sizing down if on the line (and many reviewers on the webz confirm to size down - mainly due to the top bar interfering with backwards head travel). It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping I made the right size choice.

DuneElliot
04-17-2018, 19:30
Torso size fascinates me, as I've recently discovered it has nothing to do with height. My first pack I bought the long - GG Crown VC60, and I think it's just a hair too long for me but I make it work (have to cinch the shoulder straps tight to get the belt to sit right on my hips). I had just assumed being 6'3 I needed a long torso pack. I just purchased a ZPacks Arc Blast in a small torso as my torso measured 19" and they recommend sizing down if on the line (and many reviewers on the webz confirm to size down - mainly due to the top bar interfering with backwards head travel). It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping I made the right size choice.

I have a 19" torso and ordered a medium as I read the opposite...to size up. I've been extremely happy with the sizing of the med fit on my 5'5" frame/height

blw2
04-17-2018, 21:51
the variables in this zpacks question I think are
how high or low on your hips you wear the belt
and on how much arc you set in the frame.

DuneElliot
04-18-2018, 19:15
the variables in this zpacks question I think are
how high or low on your hips you wear the belt
and on how much arc you set in the frame.

True. As a female I wear the belt so it more-or-less hugs the bones of my hips (the top of the belt is a little higher than the bones of my pelvis) and sits where my hips are naturally carrying the weight but I also only put in a 2" arc.