PDA

View Full Version : Starting in Erwin. Head North or South?

Bearded_Shrek
03-15-2018, 20:48
Sometime in June. This will be either a 3 days out and 3 days in or 6 days out and have a shuttle come pick me up and bring me back. I was thinking about starting at Uncle Johnny's.

Would you head North or South for the hike? And why?

Thank you for your suggestion. :banana

Lone Wolf
03-15-2018, 20:55
north. beauty spot, unaka mtn., roan mtn., little hump, hump mtn........

FrogLevel
03-15-2018, 21:24
north. beauty spot, unaka mtn., roan mtn., little hump, hump mtn........

Completely agree.

Malto
03-15-2018, 21:34
Yup............

MuddyWaters
03-16-2018, 05:45
+++

Go north of erwin

Depending on how many miles per day you hike, and where you decide to end, you can start at either uncle Johnny's or Indian grave Gap to help facilitate that. .

Sounds like you want uncle Johnny's to Hampton Tennessee which is about 76 mi I think. And you can resupply at 19 e at Mountain Harbor or in the towns. Or if you're a fast hiker you might go all the way to Damascus in 6 days.

Why???

June....roan....largest wild rhododendron bloom in world. Even without the Rhododendron it's pretty spectacular balds with 360 degree views. Hit it in second to third week of June and you get the peak of the Rhododendron bloom.google it. Look for the flame Azalea also.

Gambit McCrae
03-16-2018, 07:54
Agree with others, go north.

Erwin to 19E...You have a hostel at both ends of the trip, and 1 in the middle (Greasy Creek Friendly).

bigcranky
03-16-2018, 08:43
North. Get a shuttle and hike the whole six days. It's worth the cost.

peakbagger
03-16-2018, 08:57
North, a nice stretch indeed.

Tennessee Viking
03-16-2018, 09:34
Going south you have a huge rock formation, Big Bald, Rocky Fork, side trail to Shelton Graves, exposed trail/Camp Creek.
Going north you have Beauty Spot/Unaka Summit, Little Rock Knob cliffs, Roan balds, Yellow Mtn/Humps

Just depending on temps and water levels either way is scenic. But I lean toward NOBO.