PDA

View Full Version : Tn/va lash

trailmercury
03-16-2018, 09:13
Wanting to start a LASH in Erwin and head north.
Would like to make it through the triple crown area. (around 375-400 mi?)
What is a reasonable estimation on the number of days I should allow. (solo hiker, 40 y/o, not wanting to do huge mile days everyday but OK with 20 or more occasionally)
What time of year is recommended.
Would like a shower/meal at a motel/hostel or campground etc. every 4-5 days if possible but not necessary.

Where is a good place to get off the trail/leave my car? I would incorporate a shuttle in the beginning.
Please discuss logistics and also approx. total trip mileage based on where you recommended getting off the trail.

This hike is exciting to me because it would include Roan, Grayson, Mt Rogers, and the Triple Crown.

Thank so much!!!

Slo-go'en
03-16-2018, 10:09
You should think about public transportation for a hike that long. You may find someone to shuttle you that distance, but it will be very expensive. Finding a place to leave your car for that long will also be a problem. Unfortunately, getting to Erwin by public transportation isn't easy either.

You should budget between 4 to 6 weeks. 4 weeks is probably optimistic for that section. Late spring is a good time, say middle of May or so.

Plenty of places to resupply along the way, you do have a trail guide with all the info, don't you?

trailmercury
03-16-2018, 10:32
I do have the guides, AWOL and Guthook.
Any one know about how many miles by auto it is from Erwin to get past the Triple Crown?

FrogLevel
03-16-2018, 11:59
Any one know about how many miles by auto it is from Erwin to get past the Triple Crown?

Its about 3~ hours from Erwin to Troutdale/Roanoak, VA by car.

You can take greyhound to Johnson City, TN from Roanoke for about $50 and it takes 4:30 so not bad. You can get a cab/uber to Erwin for probably $30-40 bucks. I'd imagine a shuttle the whole way would be a couple hundred dollars at least.

There is parking at Uncle Johnnies hostel in Erwin or at Mountain Harbor Hostel in Roan Mountain for a fee. I've given rides to section hikers who left their car at a Uhaul rental places before as well.

FrogLevel
03-16-2018, 12:00
Its about 205 miles from Erwin to Troutdale.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2018, 12:17
Google maps says it 200 miles and 3 hours. Give or take a few miles depending on exactly where the pick up/drop off is. Most shuttle drivers charge $1 mile, so your looking at least $200, maybe more since it will be a 6 hour round trip for the driver (probably more like 7 hours if a lunch break is included), pretty much killing the whole day.

It's only 64 hours walking back along US11 assuming you can maintain a 3 mph pace the whole way. Might be able to hitch hike most of that.

trailmercury
03-16-2018, 12:35
If there is somebody willing to shuttle trailhead to trailhead that far, it's likely worth 200.00 at least. I can appreciate that.
I see the list of drivers that Gambit links in his sig, which of those listed is likely to accommodate that long of a shuttle.
I am also willing to stay somewhere (Hostel) if that opens up more shuttle/parking options as pointed out above.
I guess I will start making phone calls.
Thanks for the input so far!!!
would you advise to do this section NOBO or SOBO?