PDA

View Full Version : AT north of Shenandoah National Park

hildebrand1944
03-16-2018, 12:09
I was looking at Google Earth. I noticed that Google shows the AT going 2 different directions. If you go straight it takes you to a town and US 522. It you take the fork left it goes toward 610. I assume the left turn is the proper one as I can follow the trail further that way. I can not find a continuation of the trail once you get to the town. My questions - is that turn sign posted? Hard to tell how far from Tom Floyd Shelter it is. :confused:

hildebrand1944
03-16-2018, 12:10
Sorry, I should have said I was following the trail north from Compton Gap

Greenlight
03-16-2018, 12:23
I just hiked that the couple of months ago. I believe the trail to town is marked as a side path. It is not confusing when you are on the ground. You come up on Floyd shelter pretty quickly or at least it seems so. Or at least it seems so.It is pretty soon after you climb down a pretty sheer rock face and then things level out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tennessee Viking
03-16-2018, 12:51
Don't always trust Google with trail directions; especially Google Earth. They based most of the trail profile on old topos. I know places where the AT has been relocated 20 years ago and Google Maps is still showing the old route.

Just follow the White Blazes or current trailmaps. Also go to the ATC's Interactive Map.

From Shenandoah it goes to Tuckers Lane/VA 55 @ Linden. Then the ridgeline above Sky Meadows SP and then Bearden @ Bluemont.

hildebrand1944
03-16-2018, 16:17
Thank You... I looked at the ATC's interactive map. Much more dependable that Google Earth.

Kaptainkriz
03-16-2018, 17:03
The correct way is left toward 601. It will bring you past the park boundary kiosk and then past Floyd Wayside on the way to 522. I think I have a photo...I will post if I find it. It is obvious.

I was looking at Google Earth. I noticed that Google shows the AT going 2 different directions. If you go straight it takes you to a town and US 522. It you take the fork left it goes toward 610. I assume the left turn is the proper one as I can follow the trail further that way. I can not find a continuation of the trail once you get to the town. My questions - is that turn sign posted? Hard to tell how far from Tom Floyd Shelter it is. :confused:

Kaptainkriz
03-16-2018, 17:06
This video from "Greeter" shows it: @00:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBwy2C8mBA