PDA

View Full Version : combined backpacking trip and rafting in a week, suggested itineraries?

blw2
03-16-2018, 14:03
Any thoughts about what might make a good rafting and backpacking trip in the Southern AT sections or near by?....
Any suggested itineraries for me to consider?

So this summer I'm planning to take a week off to do a backpacking trip. I'm not locked into the AT exactly, but I keep coming back around to doing Amicalola to Neel or Springer to Neel. get the 1st leg of the AT done as a start for future sections perhaps...

I'm really wanting to encourage my son to come along (almost 13). He just dropped out of scouts and I'd like to get him outside to find some real adventure that he never found in scouts. good father/son time too.... but he's luke warm on the idea of distance backpacking, so I'm leaning to the idea of just doing it solo, but I don't want to miss the time with him.
So a friend at work suggested rafting as an alternative, great idea me thinks!
Then I thought maybe combine the two...
a few days backpacking so I get my backpacking in the mountains fix...
with a rafting trip for added fun!

I'll have a week. Basically a day each direction travel time to get there from FL...about 7 days total...maybe 9 max, but I like to leave a day at the end for dealing with gear and the family before heading back to work so about 5-6 days

I've never rafted so I don't know the logistics, and I'm not locked into the AT like I said....

On the AT an obvious thing might be in and around NOC. Start and end there with a shuttle? Hike first or raft first? What are your thoughts?

rdljr
03-16-2018, 14:34
I would suggest at trip to the northern end of the AT. Baxter state park for the hiking camping and then Millinocket for some rafting. A couple of the rafting companies will pick up/ drop off at Abol bridge right on the trail. Plenty of great hiking opportunity and world class rafting.

FrogLevel
03-16-2018, 16:18
Start in Roan Mountain (19E or Carvers Gap- carvers gap will avoid the huge climb up to Hump Mountain) and hike south to Erwin, about 41 miles. You can rent tubes at Uncle Johnny's and float the lower portion of the river (between 3-4 hour float) or go to one of the rafting companies in Erwin and raft the upper Nolichucky Gorge. They have class 3-4 rapids.

There are a few road crossings in that section so you can shorten or lengthen it to your liking.

Mountain Harbor hostel in Roan Mountain offers shuttles, parking and lodging. Uncle Johnny's in Erwin offers parking, shuttles, tubing and tenting. There are also hotel options in Erwin.

If you want to do more of a home base hike and stay in Erwin I can let you know about some good loop trails in the area.

Venchka
03-16-2018, 16:18
Doesn't Nantahala Outdoor Center offer rafting? They are kinda sorta maybe right on the trail with parking even. Google can find them.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
03-16-2018, 16:30
There's also the Shenandoah river ""aqua blaze". That could be made into a loop. Start at Front Royal and hike south to Luray and have the rafter outfitter put you in at 211. Then float back to Front Royal. Could probably do that in a week.

TNhiker
03-16-2018, 17:16
Doesn't Nantahala Outdoor Center offer rafting? They are kinda sorta maybe right on the trail with parking even. Google can find them.
Wayne

yup............they do...

along with a bunch of rafting places in hartford TN, which is a short distance from the davenport gap/I 40 area of the smokies eastern border...

hell.....the AT crosses the river right there and during summer, the rafters will be out..

Dogwood
03-16-2018, 18:38
So many opps involving the AT.

The MST has an official 204 mile paddle alternate on the Neuse River. Do a packraft, yak, or canoe or rent. Shuttlers are available. I'm organizing this now. What's your timeframe? I'd do it with someone. PM me.

Dogwood
03-16-2018, 18:40
Hiawassee River, South Fork, James River, Potomac,and Shendoah Rivers immediately come to mind.

blw2
03-16-2018, 20:17
Thanks...lot of interesting ideas. Some too far for me though (driving up from FL)
Roan to Irwin and tubing sounds interesting. As I think about it the tubing or rafting would be nice probably after the hike. Google maps says that's 28 miles on the trail. that might be a great 2-3 easy day hike! I'd like to go further than that but if it's 41 that might be a little long for my son..... he could do it physically, but I'm not sure mentally...but maybe I could shorten it by starting someplace in between...iron Mt gap maybe. What would you suggest for parking, shuttle, and lodging?

and yeah, I thought about NOC.... but what would be a good put in point, shuttle option, etc...?

fiddlehead
03-16-2018, 20:31
Nantahala in NC
Nolichucky in TN
Patomic in VA
Lehigh Gap in PA (Lehigh river)
Saco in ME
Kennebec in ME

These are all ^ rafting rivers right on the trail.
There's probably more in New England, but these are the ones that I have kayaked.
Also the Dead in ME although it's a few miles away from the trail.
And WV is a mecca for whitewater although not so near the trail.
The best rivers in the east for rafting are in WV: Gauley, New, Cheat, Upper Yach, Sandys (big and little), many more although not so close to the trail.
Have fun.

FrogLevel
03-16-2018, 20:51
Thanks...lot of interesting ideas. Some too far for me though (driving up from FL)
Roan to Irwin and tubing sounds interesting. As I think about it the tubing or rafting would be nice probably after the hike. Google maps says that's 28 miles on the trail. that might be a great 2-3 easy day hike! I'd like to go further than that but if it's 41 that might be a little long for my son..... he could do it physically, but I'm not sure mentally...but maybe I could shorten it by starting someplace in between...iron Mt gap maybe. What would you suggest for parking, shuttle, and lodging?

and yeah, I thought about NOC.... but what would be a good put in point, shuttle option, etc...?
Iron Mountain Gap to Erwin is 19.3 miles. You'll have a big climb up Unaka Mountain but after that its an easy hike mostly downhill. You'll have good views at Beauty Spot. You can get off at Beauty Spot or Indian Grave Gap if you can't make it all the way. There's an 8.5 mile loop trail at Indian Grave Gap (TN-395) you can add on if you want another night. It has good views of the gorge and is easy. It's called "Shinbone Trail."

I've parked my car at Uncle Johnny's and have not had issues. I think they charged 5 bucks a day without a shuttle. They were always friendly. Their lodging is geared towards thru-hikers so its austere- shared bunk houses. There's a motel 8/6 in Erwin that has hiker rates. Its basic but gets the job done. There are B&B's in Erwin too if you want upscale.

USA Raft and Wahoo does the rafting. They all do the same sections. Inquire about stopping at Lost Cove. Its a "ghost town" up in the mountains you can hike to from the river. There's abandoned houses, a graveyard, old farming equipment, and a schoolhouse. If you are interested you can do a loop trail with the AT and Lost Cove Trail and camp in the ghost town. Its creepy but neat.

As far as the tubing goes the put in is right next to Uncle Johnny's. You can walk to the put in and float down to two different points. One is probably 3~ hours of floating and the other is 6~ hours depending on the flow. The lowest CFS you can attempt tubing is 800. Anything lower than that and you'll have to walk sections. The upper gorge rafting is unaffected by this lower rate. Use this site to check:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv?site_no=03465500

Venchka
03-16-2018, 21:06
yup............they do...

along with a bunch of rafting places in hartford TN, which is a short distance from the davenport gap/I 40 area of the smokies eastern border...

hell.....the AT crosses the river right there and during summer, the rafters will be out..
That’s the place just south of Newport. I forgot all about it. Hiking in the Smokies and rafting next door.
Wayne

Venchka
03-16-2018, 21:11
Raft companies in Hot Springs, NC. The AT runs right past their door and through town.
Wayne

saltysack
03-16-2018, 21:51
Another option is the Foothills trail and the chattooga river...great trail and rafting. I took my son to NOC and rafted the Nantahala river then drove to standing Indian campground and did the standing Indian loop...nice 22-24 loop no shuttle needed.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Analog_Kidd
03-16-2018, 22:12
Logistically, from FL, the NOc is your best option. You and your son will have a blast in the Nantahala. You can either raft or paddle a ducky (inflatable kayak). If you want even more excitement, the Ocoee River is A little over an hour Away. Call ahead for that one, they have age and Weight restrictions. Nantahala is mostly self guided class II, but Ocoee is guided class III+.

The AT goes right thru the NOC parking lot. But either direction from that point is straight up. Nobo from there is particularly difficult. Franklin to NOC Might be a good hike.

a couple days backpacking In The GSMNP would be pretty close to the NOC too, even if not on the AT.

Whatever you end up doing, sounds like a fun trip that you'll both remember forever.

Maineiac64
03-16-2018, 22:39
Check out Benton Mackaye trail where it goes by the Ocoee River just over Georgia border in Tennessee. That’s real adventure.

Dogwood
03-16-2018, 23:51
Great thread. THX for starting it.

BoogieForth
03-17-2018, 11:57
In h.s. my church cyo took a canoe trip down the Nantahala and then rafting on the Ocoee and ended in Knoxville for the '82 World's Fair. Great trip!

johnacraft
03-17-2018, 12:28
I'll have a week. Basically a day each direction travel time to get there from FL...about 7 days total...maybe 9 max, but I like to leave a day at the end for dealing with gear and the family before heading back to work so about 5-6 days

I've never rafted so I don't know the logistics, and I'm not locked into the AT like I said....

If you do choose the Springer - Neel section, I second the idea of rafting the Ocoee River. Some of the best rapids anywhere (it was an Olympic venue in 1996).

daddytwosticks
03-18-2018, 09:32
Franklin to the NOC section hike, followed by rafting on the Nantahala. Can't ask for more fun with your son. :)

PatmanTN
03-18-2018, 17:48
I did the Nantahala in a packraft I was testing for Trailspace, followed by a short AT section . It was a really fun trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M1sNFFuGgQ

Dogwood
03-18-2018, 23:05
That was great Patman. Post a link to the demo.

PatmanTN
03-19-2018, 06:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU)Here is the full review on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klymit/litewater-dinghy-lwd/#review31490

I chopped the videos up in the review but before doing that I made a raw compilation of all my test trips with no narration, music or much captioning. People have told me that the raw video is better. Guess that means I should be quiet more. :)

Raw video of packraft tests (it is very long for a You Tube video at 10 minutes but you can fast forward of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU

saltysack
03-19-2018, 10:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU)Here is the full review on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klymit/litewater-dinghy-lwd/#review31490

I chopped the videos up in the review but before doing that I made a raw compilation of all my test trips with no narration, music or much captioning. People have told me that the raw video is better. Guess that means I should be quiet more. :)

Raw video of packraft tests (it is very long for a You Tube video at 10 minutes but you can fast forward of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU

Awesome! I’m going to try using my xtherm as a sup...[emoji23]

Gambit McCrae
03-19-2018, 12:49
When I finished the state of Virginia we had an extra night and day of the trip so we drove on down to Hot Springs, NC (Gambit's favorite trail town) to enjoy a day on the French Broad River. The rafting company is extremely experienced and kind there. Ask for Mikey as a guide he was really great.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-20-2018, 09:26
I've had the pleasure of rafting the Nantahala from the lake outlet to the NOC HQ once, the French Broad from Barnard to Hot Springs once, and have rafted the Nolichucky from the normal put-in at Poplar, NC down to the Chestoa take-out immediately above Uncle Johnny's near Erwin, TN several times, including once with my sons, then aged 8 and 12. The AT runs directly by all 3 locations.

The Nantahala is a half-day paddle and can be done in rafts or inflatable kayaks (duckies or funyaks is the paddling term for them). The Nantahala is mostly fast-moving water but is without a lot of big drops, so it's generally a II or a light III if I recall correctly. Fun for kids but not too scary. Since the water comes from the bottom of Nantahala Lake, it's extremely cold and wetsuits are needed year-round. The cold water makes the take-out right at the NOC HQ a very welcome sight since there are hot showers/changing rooms right there. Most everybody inintentionally "swims" the final drop right at the take-out which is Class III Nantahala Falls.

The French Broad is bigger water with some flatwater mixed in with runs, riffles, and some bona fide Class III and light IV drops, mostly towards the downstream end. If you were camped at the Hot Springs Resort CG for the night, your hot showers would be right at the take-out. Accessing the put-in at Barnard, as well as the put-in for the Nolichucky described below, involves a "Class VI bus ride" over narrow and very steeply inclined roads. Sometimes the bus ride is far scarier than the paddling.

My sons and I had a ball on the Nolichucky, as have I when running it at other times with groups of adults. It's in a very scenic deep gorge, with great views of the mountains on both sides, and is big, wide water with nice Class III rapids here and there. it's an all-day trip with lunch served. One of the outfitters (USA Raft?) has their office beside the Nolichucky River Campground (a good spot to overnight in your own tent or a rented cabin) a quarter mile above the public take-out, so your hot showers are right there if you book with them. Otherwise you may be in for a long, cold bus or car ride after taking out.

See a pattern behind the planning for access to hot water at the take-out?

Though the Nolichucky is the furthest north of the 3, it may be somewhat quicker and easier to access from FL in that I-26 runs directly by the take-out. Hot Springs, by contrast, is around an hour through the mountains on 2-lane roads from I-26/US-23 north of Asheville, meaning it's no closer in time. The NOC on the Nantahala is a something of a grind from any Interstate. I've never approached it from the south so don't really know time and distance from a superslab.

Enjoy the planning and the trip with your son.

AO

Gambit McCrae
03-20-2018, 10:26
I've had the pleasure of rafting the Nantahala from the lake outlet to the NOC HQ once, the French Broad from Barnard to Hot Springs once, and have rafted the Nolichucky from the normal put-in at Poplar, NC down to the Chestoa take-out immediately above Uncle Johnny's near Erwin, TN several times, including once with my sons, then aged 8 and 12. The AT runs directly by all 3 locations.

The Nantahala is a half-day paddle and can be done in rafts or inflatable kayaks (duckies or funyaks is the paddling term for them). The Nantahala is mostly fast-moving water but is without a lot of big drops, so it's generally a II or a light III if I recall correctly. Fun for kids but not too scary. Since the water comes from the bottom of Nantahala Lake, it's extremely cold and wetsuits are needed year-round. The cold water makes the take-out right at the NOC HQ a very welcome sight since there are hot showers/changing rooms right there. Most everybody inintentionally "swims" the final drop right at the take-out which is Class III Nantahala Falls.

The French Broad is bigger water with some flatwater mixed in with runs, riffles, and some bona fide Class III and light IV drops, mostly towards the downstream end. If you were camped at the Hot Springs Resort CG for the night, your hot showers would be right at the take-out. Accessing the put-in at Barnard, as well as the put-in for the Nolichucky described below, involves a "Class VI bus ride" over narrow and very steeply inclined roads. Sometimes the bus ride is far scarier than the paddling.

My sons and I had a ball on the Nolichucky, as have I when running it at other times with groups of adults. It's in a very scenic deep gorge, with great views of the mountains on both sides, and is big, wide water with nice Class III rapids here and there. it's an all-day trip with lunch served. One of the outfitters (USA Raft?) has their office beside the Nolichucky River Campground (a good spot to overnight in your own tent or a rented cabin) a quarter mile above the public take-out, so your hot showers are right there if you book with them. Otherwise you may be in for a long, cold bus or car ride after taking out.

Though the Nolichucky is the furthest north of the 3, it may be somewhat quicker and easier to access from FL in that I-26 runs directly by the take-out. Hot Springs, by contrast, is around an hour through the mountains on 2-lane roads from I-26/US-23 north of Asheville, meaning it's no closer in time. The NOC on the Nantahala is a something of a grind from any Interstate. I've never approached it from the south so don't really know time and distance from a superslab.

AO

Wow lots of great info here thanks!

blw2
03-20-2018, 16:28
yes, lots of great info here....thanks to all.

Unfortunately I might not be making the trip now, as my wife has sites set on other plans..... but I'm still taking notes. Maybe I can pull off something... a shorter trip perhaps.... or just up for some rafting....
That packraft video was fun Patman.

Dogwood
03-20-2018, 17:11
+3 TU Alleghanian Orogeny. Timely. Great terse comparisons. Pinned.

brian2o0o
03-21-2018, 10:51
There is the AT/ Bartram loop with the last leg of the trip being the 8 mile paddle into the NOC. Park at the NOC, go south on the AT until you meet with the Bartram trail at Wayah Bald. Take the Bartram trail to the put-in at the Nantahala and then paddle back to the NOC. The trail mileage ends up around 45 miles if I remember correctly and then the 8 mile paddle. You would obviously need to call ahead and speak with someone at the NOC to set this up unless you have packrafts or something similar of your own. Would probably have to take their safety class and all of that too.

saltysack
03-22-2018, 12:31

AO

Good times on the Nantahala..that final and only real drop just before NOChttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180322/6cfa72a014f2439486b875d64fcb2b0c.jpg....I guess I should have bought the pic....[emoji38]

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-24-2018, 12:23
Good times on the Nantahala..that final and only real drop just before NOChttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180322/6cfa72a014f2439486b875d64fcb2b0c.jpg....I guess I should have bought the pic....[emoji3

Been there, swam that!