PDA

View Full Version : Primaloft jacket

grrickar
02-12-2006, 15:35
I recently went to an REI and found a primaloft-insulated jacket on the clearance rack. I tried it on and found that it almost instantly started getting *very* warm, which sold me on the insulating abilities of the stuff. I considered buying it, but I am a big guy and it fit pretty snug across the shoulders, so I put it back. The 10 lbs of sausage in a 5lb casinglook is not a good one, even on the trail...:o

I have been looking for a primaloft jacket every since, but I have some specific 'wants' in this jacket, and I hope someone can point me to one having the qualities that I am looking for. I have seen jackets insulated with this stuff made by Orvis, MEC, REI, and Patagonia. None of them had the one thing I was looking for...zippered arms.

Yep. Think about it - depending on the temp, zip off the arms and leave them at home - now you have a vest. Cold day? Zip them on. Kinda undecided? Partially unzip the arms to allow some cool air in. Does anyone make a jacket like this?

I found this jacket to be so warm I think I would find myself pulling it off and on as I warmed up and cooled off. Pit zips would regulate it some, and let some of the heat spill out.

Sierra Trading Post has a vest and a jacket from Orvis, and I am tempted to buy one of each, but I'd save some money if there was one jacket that could do both.

Oh, and the MEC jackets turned me off because the only colors available were 'apricot' and 'chalk'. Well first off no self-respecting man is going to wear anything colored apricot. Call it orange or go home. The other color was chalk. Hmmmmkay....say off-white; and we all know what white is gonna look like after a few weeks on the trail.

The REI jacket was silver, which made me look like a ready for the oven TV dinner. Who does the marketing research for these companies? :rolleyes:

There should be 5 colors for outdoor gear: black, brown, dark blue, green (and a dark green, no neon colors), and khaki. Anything else belongs on the ski slopes, where people feel they need to stay out against all that white.:bse

mweinstone
02-12-2006, 15:42
use a shell raincoat and a pile vest on top of long undies

grrickar
02-12-2006, 17:36
Have you seen the jackets I am referring to? It is quite thin and packs well, so it would be a layer - not a heavy shell. I have a truckload of fleece - vests, gloves, ski masks, balaclavas, thermal undies, gaiters, shirts and pants, but I have never put on a fleece jacket and fet as warm as I did with this on.

jamarshall
02-12-2006, 21:34
EMS had these a couple of years back. Don't know if they still carry them, our local store closed last year :(

I have 3 of the primaloft jackets with pit zips (I love the EMS clearance sales), but never bought the one with the zip off sleeves. I live in them all winter here in PA. Good 'til the temps drop into the teens, then I break out the down coat.

Footslogger
02-12-2006, 21:51
Guess I was lucky. Got my MEC Primaloft pullover during my thru in 2003. The colors that year were maroon and black. I carried it all the way to Katahdin and have washed it several times. Still going strong.

'Slogger

BMRisko
02-12-2006, 23:35
Have you seen the jackets I am referring to? It is quite thin and packs well, so it would be a layer - not a heavy shell. I have a truckload of fleece - vests, gloves, ski masks, balaclavas, thermal undies, gaiters, shirts and pants, but I have never put on a fleece jacket and fet as warm as I did with this on.

Gossamer jacket? I love mine, but I wish it didn't have a hood. I was wearing mine around town today, while it was around 29* with just a t-shirt underneath and I was toasty warm.