PDA

View Full Version : Recently started using 15’ dyneema webbing as my suspension BUT.......

saltysack
03-17-2018, 17:53
Today my wife sat in the hammock w me and the pup...within 10 min we were on the ground.....not sure what happened but can’t really screw up a Becket hitch....the webbing appears to have torn some...lil leary as was well within load rating as I’m 220, dog 20lbs and my wife is about 115lbs. Thoughts...recommendations?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/868fbe0a3df1009185cdacdd018822d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
03-17-2018, 18:22
Climbing webbing? Sailing webbing or line (rope)?
Looks like Silly Light webbing won’t cut it.
The Wind River Range has significant treeless acreage.
Wayne

saltysack
03-17-2018, 18:39
It’s dyneema webbing for hanging by hammock labs...guess were too big a load! Obviously will plan shelter according to where I’m hiking...plan to hang when there’s good tree cover ie mainly down south...

Venchka
03-17-2018, 20:28
What exactly is the Working Load Limit of the webbing that failed?
Did it slip on itself or actually break?
Wayne

Feral Bill
03-17-2018, 22:42
Was the hammock set up with enough of a drop to limit multiplying the weigh too much?

saltysack
03-17-2018, 23:48
Was the hammock set up with enough of a drop to limit multiplying the weigh too much?

Probably not optimal drop as trees were farther apart than I’d prefer as ridgeline was tight

Rain Man
03-18-2018, 23:22
I watched an episode of "Air Disasters" this evening. A 747 cargo plane was brought down because a cargo load master was clueless about effect of angles on strength/effective stress on tie-down straps.

He used the correct number of straps (24) and the correct kind of straps, but very few at the correct angles. Huge plane crashed on takeoff, killing everyone.

Geometry and physics. Gotta know them or follow established rules of thumb. Or pay the consequences.

EDITS: Title of episode is "Afghan Nightare." Was a contractor cargo flight in Afghanistan carrying 5 huge armored personnel carriers, one of which broke loose. For a more hammock-scale strap angle failure (less tragedy, more humor)--

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LkC4Y9HnSNc

AllDownhillFromHere
03-19-2018, 08:27
I watched an episode of "Air Disasters" this evening. A 747 cargo plane was brought down because a cargo load master was clueless about effect of angles on strength/effective stress on tie-down straps.He used the correct number of straps (24) and the correct kind of straps, but very few at the correct angles. Huge plane crashed on takeoff, killing everyone.Geometry and physics. Gotta know them or follow established rules of thumb. Or pay the consequences.

THIS is why I come to Whiteblaze.