PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Island Nat'l Seashore, GA

Hanger
02-12-2006, 17:13
Anyone ever been there? Thinking about visiting it in March. I would like to know how it is, and if there's enough to keep a person occupied for 5-6 days.

Hanger
02-12-2006, 17:19
Oh yeah, and is hammocking allowed?

Dances with Mice
02-12-2006, 17:32
Anyone ever been there? Thinking about visiting it in March. I would like to know how it is, and if there's enough to keep a person occupied for 5-6 days.I was there many years ago. It has a big freakin' beach that could keep me occupied for years, but I suppose that depends on the person. Don't know about the hammocking question, in a lot of places there are no direct regulations and it's best to ask the rangers. But hammocks and beaches kinda go together, they shouldn't be unused to the question.

totempole99
02-12-2006, 17:57
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12740&highlight=cumberland

Hanger
02-12-2006, 19:25
Thanks for than link, very helpful. But will I be able to get in with a month prior reservation?

Whistler
02-12-2006, 21:22
I went in the middle of March last year, and I called my reservation in two days before I left. If you're interested in backcountry campsites instead of the developed ones, I wouldn't expect you to have much trouble.
-Mark

Hanger
02-13-2006, 01:23
Thanks! I can't wait to go

Sirrahd
02-14-2006, 22:14
I went last November and had people who came up that day and got sites in the backcountry. The SeaCamp part stays crowded but your almost sure to get a site in the back. About the hammock thing, I wouldn't go back there any other way. Enjoy! When are you going? I'm thinking of heading down between March 9-12 maybe our paths will cross.

sliderule
02-14-2006, 23:04
Thanks for than link, very helpful. But will I be able to get in with a month prior reservation?

Weekdays will not likely be a problem. Weekends might be. The NPS puts a limit on the number of visitors on the island each day. There are typically a lot more day visitors on the weekends. Sometimes there are plenty of empty campsites, but you cannot use them because the day users have already used up the visitor quota for the day. My guess is that 5-6 days is a bit too long. But you can usually leave early if you take a morning boat. They usually come over full and leave empty.

Hanger
02-15-2006, 00:24
I called and made reservations for the 21-26 of March, so five nights. The backcountry campsites were full on the 18-20, which is when we originally wanted to start. The first four nights we are staying in backcountry sites, but the night of the 25th they were full so we are staying at Seacamp. I'm really looking forward to this trip. All the pictures I've seen look amazing!:D

ed bell
02-15-2006, 00:44
Great place to explore. Hope you have a good trip. Guard your food!:sun

slingblade
03-29-2006, 09:11
I grew up two islands North of Cumberland and have been there more times than I can count. One suggestion I have is sea kayaking to Cumberland and back. Kayak rental is reasonably priced. It gives you the opportunity to paddle shorter trips around the salt marsh during your stay. You can carry the boat across the island for some beach side kayaking but it is a long haul and unless experienced could be tricky and dangerous depending on ocean conditions. You can paddle to the island from Crooked Creek State Park riding the tide out as well as back in. I have guided many trips to Cumberland and would suggest a guided trip but that may be more than you are looking to get into. SouthEast Adventure Outfitters has a web site and are a wealth of information when it comes to Cumberland. Good people too. Even with the island maxed out with campers and guests you can find the northern part totally secluded as most stay on the south end. Take a camera. The live oaks are amazing. Watch each and every step as the Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake is everywhere particulary around the sand dunes. Bug juice highly recommended. Mosquitos have been known to carry off children and small adults. You will love this island and kayak or not, should find plenty to stay occupied and enjoy for five days.

slingblade
03-29-2006, 09:16
Oh yeah-hammocks. They are allowed on Cumberland unless something has changed in the last year or two.