PDA

View Full Version : Calendar Year AT hike

putts
03-18-2018, 11:37
The Anish CYTC thread re-sparked a thought I had a couple years ago. A calendar year - or just 365 days period, even if the year changes - hike on the AT. What would you do? YOYO NOBO SOBO? when? where would you start? Assume your finances are in order, and your loved ones/employer are supportive.

This question is just for fun. I'm sure folks will be inclined to chime in about other trail combinations and possibilities, that's unavoidable. To answer this question does not mean that you wouldn't prefer to explore other trails if you had the year, I'm with you. Also, I'm sure a lot of folks couldn't do it because they would get bored or just not enjoy it- understandable.

I would probably start SOBO from Katahdin mid July (with a telescoping fishing rod and maybe a packraft for the HMW) average between 1-10 miles a day thru Maine. Then average between 2-12 miles a day to get me to Springer around mid February and then YOYO back up.

...also thought a January 1 Start from Springer and YOYOing could be an interesting option too.

KCNC
03-18-2018, 12:14
Spending 365-ish days on the trail is going to be uncomfortably cold and/or wet for at least 3-4 months, no matter where or when you started. So here's what I'd do.

My 365 day plan:

Harper's Ferry SOBO starting ~Sept 1. Hike until either mid November or it gets "too cold" (relative term) - whichever comes first. Then hole up at Hot Springs or Grove Park and warm my toes by the fire between spa treatments and pub crawls in Asheville until...

~April 15 - Head back to Harper's Ferry and go NOBO (Start of traditional Flip-Flop) After Katahdin I hop on my chartered jet (you said finances were in order, after all!) and head back south, to pick up where I stopped the previous fall and head to Springer.

That would be my fantasy year-long AT hike. :banana

What would be really cool (finances not being an issue) would be a mashup of the AT and some of the warmer climate options in the southwest for the winter months. The AT just gets too brutal with the combination of wet and cold over the winter for me to think about for very long from a backpacking standpoint.

devoidapop
03-18-2018, 13:08
I like this. I like the idea of committing to staying on trail for a full year. Everything else becomes flexible at that point. If you find the perfect camp with the perfect view and want to stay for 3 days, do it. Hit as many side trails as you want. Get detoured by following friends you make.

That being said and me not knowing what I don't know, I would start early, NOBO, and if I got to Maine and had enough time before winter continue to Canada and turn back around. But if in a year, I had only made it to PA I'm sure I would have had great adventure.

Dogwood
03-18-2018, 15:01
Preferably, and to keep it simple, if I hadn't done the LT at the time I would do a AT NOBO followed by a complete other LT SOBO for a great late fall finish. IMHO, this is more in line with many more LD hikers abilities than something more epic. LT alternatives would be the Cohos or Finger Lakes Tr.

Most preferable, based on where I'm at now, I'd simply jump on the North Country Tr WEBO after a AT NOBO organizing it for a very fast hike based on getting to about Michigan or Wisconsin. I'd try to organize it to immediately jump on the AZT to complete a SOBO. Next yr I'd complete the North Country. If after ABC's throw in some others and grab a AT, NCT, AZT and whatever else in a 2 yr time span. Bunch of LD hikers do exactly this in similar fashion. It's what Anish is doing; it's not all she's doing or the only way to define it but certainly one way to define it. It's what I've done - stack, but to different individual abilities and desires.

Going AT rogue a very fast CDT NOBO, North Country Tr WEBO to Idaho's Centennial Tr SOBO has appealed to me for several yrs. This would personally test me to the pt I'd have to to change my motives for LD hiking.

Although this thread was started for fun I don't like to give much thought to these itineraries unless I have a high level of confidence of personally rising to the task of making them a reality.

Its ridiculous being enthralled with committing to one yr constantly backpacking in context of these distances when we have not yet hiked 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, or maybe 5000+ miles in a CY.

putts
03-18-2018, 17:51
Its ridiculous being enthralled with committing to one yr constantly backpacking in context of these distances when we have not yet hiked 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, or maybe 5000+ miles in a CY.

I disagree. A lot of people are enthralled by pushing their limits far beyond anything they have ever done and do not deserve ridicule for it. There are a bunch of them in GA right now. Are they ridiculous because they haven't yet hiked 2190 in 6 months but are enthralled? Besides it doesn't have to be about counting, crushing, stacking and rushing miles. It can be if one wants it to be, or take a year to hike 400 miles.

putts
03-18-2018, 17:56
Everything else becomes flexible at that point. If you find the perfect camp with the perfect view and want to stay for 3 days, do it. Hit as many side trails as you want. Get detoured by following friends you make.

That's what would be appealing to me too.

devoidapop
03-18-2018, 19:30
Everything else becomes flexible at that point. If you find the perfect camp with the perfect view and want to stay for 3 days, do it. Hit as many side trails as you want. Get detoured by following friends you make.

That's what would be appealing to me too.

That's my approach for all my trip plans this year. I have x number of days, I'll hike for that number of days and see where I end up.

Dogwood
03-18-2018, 20:20
I disagree. A lot of people are enthralled by pushing their limits far beyond anything they have ever done and do not deserve ridicule for it. There are a bunch of them in GA right now. Are they ridiculous because they haven't yet hiked 2190 in 6 months but are enthralled? Besides it doesn't have to be about counting, crushing, stacking and rushing miles. It can be if one wants it to be, or take a year to hike 400 miles.
You are right. One could walk in 3 miles and stay basically in a very narrow range of AT area for 365 days very much more so camping than hiking...ala typical Naked & Afraid scenario. However, I replied based on perceived context of how the question was asked and how I would approach the 365 days. Before I get accused further the question did include mentioning Anish's CY TC hike and AT Yo Yo, NOBO, and SOBO which strongly implies movement rather than basically living stationary on trail. So, I don't see your 400 mile idea largely applying in context to how the question was asked. :rolleyes:

Dogwood
03-18-2018, 20:22
...which strongly implies movement and distance...

imscotty
03-18-2018, 20:28
I've actually given some thought to this because the only AT record I could ever hope to achieve (and I think would want to achieve) is an SKT (Slowest Known Time).

Given the ATC's published definition of a thru as being 'a hike of the entire A.T. in 12 months or less', I take that as meaning that any start date is acceptable. I would want to pick a leap year to attempt this to really nail my SKT as unbreakable. I would also hope I get lucky and pick a 12 month period that includes at least one leap second.

Traditionally I think that the first person to attempt a record gets to define some of the other parameters that may be up for debate. For example I don't think that taking three months off for winter in a trail town would be in the spirit of this SKT. I would not criticize others for an occasional zero day, but for myself I think I would want to make an attempt that involves some mileage every single day, no matter how small. I think that Blue-blazing that adds to the trail experience should be allowable. For example, I might want to pick up the Long Trail north of the Maine junction while I am at it and Gulf Hagas too.

Needless to say I think this should be a pure hike in the sense of every foot of the trail being walked.

I think you would want some assistance with timing at Springer and Katahdin to verify the honesty of the SKT. Publishing your daily progress or position I think would be problematic because of potentially unwanted media and public attention. After all, it would be pretty easy to catch up to and find a SKT contender.

Further SKT attempts might be divided into supported or unsupported, NOBO, SOBO, always slept on trail or not, etc.

So what do you think. What requirements do you think should be placed on a SKT attempt?

Slo-go'en
03-18-2018, 20:31
If I were to spend a whole year hiking, I'd want to bounce around various trails to take advantage of pleasant weather.

Spending a whole year on the AT as the OP proposes is a bit crazy.

But hypothetically,

Many thru hikes last 6 months, so for a YOYO one could imagine the return trip taking at least that long.

You'd want to finish no later then the end of August so you can beat any bad weather heading back south. Working backwards, you'd leave Springer on March 1st, arrive at Katahdin August 31st. Return back at Springer March 1st the following year.

devoidapop
03-18-2018, 20:47
I've actually given some thought to this because the only AT record I could ever hope to achieve (and I think would want to achieve) is an SKT (Slowest Known Time).

Given the ATC's published definition of a thru as being 'a hike of the entire A.T. in 12 months or less', I take that as meaning that any start date is acceptable. I would want to pick a leap year to attempt this to really nail my SKT as unbreakable. I would also hope I get lucky and pick a 12 month period that includes at least one leap second.

Traditionally I think that the first person to attempt a record gets to define some of the other parameters that may be up for debate. For example I don't think that taking three months off for winter in a trail town would be in the spirit of this SKT. I would not criticize others for an occasional zero day, but for myself I think I would want to make an attempt that involves some mileage every single day, no matter how small. I think that Blue-blazing that adds to the trail experience should be allowable. For example, I might want to pick up the Long Trail north of the Maine junction while I am at it and Gulf Hagas too.

Needless to say I think this should be a pure hike in the sense of every foot of the trail being walked.

I think you would want some assistance with timing at Springer and Katahdin to verify the honesty of the SKT. Publishing your daily progress or position I think would be problematic because of potentially unwanted media and public attention. After all, it would be pretty easy to catch up to and find a SKT contender.

Further SKT attempts might be divided into supported or unsupported, NOBO, SOBO, always slept on trail or not, etc.

So what do you think. What requirements do you think should be placed on a SKT attempt?

Being from BBQ country, I live in Barbecue NC, I love your idea of SKT. Some things deserve to be done slowly.

putts
03-18-2018, 21:12
You are right. One could walk in 3 miles and stay basically in a very narrow range of AT area for 365 days very much more so camping than hiking...ala typical Naked & Afraid scenario. However, I replied based on perceived context of how the question was asked and how I would approach the 365 days. Before I get accused further the question did include mentioning Anish's CY TC hike and AT Yo Yo, NOBO, and SOBO which strongly implies movement rather than basically living stationary on trail. So, I don't see your 400 mile idea largely applying in context to how the question was asked. :rolleyes:

I do see where you are coming from. The mention of Anish was just explaining that the current CYTC thread sparked the thought for this question. I didn't want to gunk up that thread with the drift so I started a new one. I did mention distances averaging 2 to 12 miles a day after 1 to 10 miles a day in Maine. So you are right, the context that I set would equal at least 700 or so miles on the low end, which still leaves plenty of time to play Naked and Afraid if one wishes to do so. I, would find plenty of joy by sauntering down the trail, exploring the surroundings of camp on zero days in the woods, chasing light for photographs, cooking up Maine brookies, paddling a pack raft on the water, volunteering for trail maintenance....there's plenty to do other than get naked and eat bugs.

Dogwood
03-18-2018, 22:35
Now, I understand more where you are coming from Putts. :)

I was self absorbed thinking about my own experiences when I said this,
"Its ridiculous being enthralled with committing to one yr constantly backpacking in context of these distances when we have not yet hiked 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, or maybe 5000+ miles in a CY."
If it helps to understand why I said this during a 365 day stretch in 2010 into 2011 I had 322 bag nights on trail, slept in a bed under a solid roof 22 nights(I journaled every day so know this), basically being a nomad, and racking up nearly 6000 on trail miles. It was an experience as Slo-go-en described - FT LD backpacker, not camper, at a moderate daily mile avg. It was taking a summer after HS or college completion European backpacking trip up several notches to a 365 day constant hiking trip. I never spent more than 2 nights in one place and when i did that was even a rarity.

Dogwood
03-18-2018, 22:47
Getting away from the AT for a moment have any seen Aria Zoner's Hot Spring Soak a thon bike packing backpacking trip report? I think it may be more aligned with what you're asking Putts.
https://www.wholefoodhiker.com

I feel a kinship. He's more eccentric - ah crazy (in a good way) - than me. I like his resupply extremes.

Dogwood
03-18-2018, 22:47
Getting away from the AT for a moment have any seen Aria Zoner's Hot Spring Soak a thon bike packing backpacking trip report? I think it may be more aligned with what you're asking Putts.
https://www.wholefoodhiker.com

I feel a kinship. He's more eccentric - ah crazy (in a good way) - than me. I like his resupply extremes.

Feral Bill
03-18-2018, 22:56
I believe the Barefoot Sisters spent most of a calendar year on their flip flop. maybe more.

Deadeye
03-19-2018, 10:54
If the average thru takes about 5 months, I could fill the other seven with fishing, hunting, healing, contemplating, side trails, museums, history.... When I read Colin Fletcher's books, it's clear he spent a lot of time not hiking - I assume a good deal of it was spent writing, but a lot was clearly just hanging around outside.

LittleRock
03-20-2018, 08:31
If I had a whole calendar year for just backpacking, I'd start with the Florida Trail in January, then skip up to the Pinhoti Trail, then the Benton Mackaye Trail, then finish up the AT NOBO from there. That would probably take most of the year, if I still had time/energy left I'd probably head out to the Arizona Trail.

Most likely never gonna happen, but it's fun to think about.

George
03-21-2018, 07:08
I would say that 2 1/2 times in 365 days would be about right and to be practical stay in the south for off season

so start at HF southbound, put you at springer mid to late march - july or august for K - finish the year near the s end

T.S.Kobzol
03-21-2018, 07:19
You're no fun ;-) You make way too much sense. :-)

If I were to spend a whole year hiking, I'd want to bounce around various trails to take advantage of pleasant weather.

Spending a whole year on the AT as the OP proposes is a bit crazy.

But hypothetically,

Many thru hikes last 6 months, so for a YOYO one could imagine the return trip taking at least that long.

You'd want to finish no later then the end of August so you can beat any bad weather heading back south. Working backwards, you'd leave Springer on March 1st, arrive at Katahdin August 31st. Return back at Springer March 1st the following year.

T.S.Kobzol
03-21-2018, 07:24
I would probably just walk the AT as designed, NOBO, because the odds of finishing this are already against me, but upon reaching Katahdin I would take a 'side hike' on the IAT to go as far as I could, weather permitting and if the weather says no more then I would fly back to Springer and go south with the hopes of reaching and completing the Florida Trail.